The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

25 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Lions fans, I think the Lions finish second in the division this year. I think they go 8-9 and are on the right path for the first time in a very long time.

Don’t give us false hope, lol.

things are looking up though. Let’s hope there is some success here this year.

19 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Don’t give us false hope, lol.

things are looking up though. Let’s hope there is some success here this year.

You still need another draft and a good QB though. You guys are building a lot of very solid pieces, but the QB is the key. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I see the Wings are looking to sign Andrew Copp.  Sounds like a solid signing if it happens.  We need some help at C and he is a solid piece.  Not the #1 we need but better depth at least. 

I've always liked Copp's game. I expect he'll be signed to be a 3rd/4th C, with Suter out-of-place at 2C and Veleno filling the remaining spot. (I think Kasper plays overseas for a year and Ras remains on the wing.)

31 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I've always liked Copp's game. I expect he'll be signed to be a 3rd/4th C, with Suter out-of-place at 2C and Veleno filling the remaining spot. (I think Kasper plays overseas for a year and Ras remains on the wing.)

From the articles I have read, he would likely be our 2nd C pushing Suter down to 3 with his disappointing season.  But also Copp can play on the wings so if someone steps up at C, he could move around which is a plus.  I have heard the same about Kasper that he is a year maybe two away from being in the NHL but that may prevent the team from spending big long term on a C now. 

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

From the articles I have read, he would likely be our 2nd C pushing Suter down to 3 with his disappointing season.  But also Copp can play on the wings so if someone steps up at C, he could move around which is a plus.  I have heard the same about Kasper that he is a year maybe two away from being in the NHL but that may prevent the team from spending big long term on a C now. 

I guess I never pictured Copp as a 2C, but that's not to say he wouldn't play there with this roster. 

I believe it was Vrana-Suter-Zadina that formed a really effective line during the second have of the 2021 NHL season. With Bert-Larkin-Raymond on the top line, that would leave something like Ras-Copp-Fabbri. I could see either of those lines being 2nd. (Gagner-Veleno-Erne on the 4th line?)

(This is obviously extremely premature, especially when considering we have a new head coach.)

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I guess I never pictured Copp as a 2C, but that's not to say he wouldn't play there with this roster. 

I believe it was Vrana-Suter-Zadina that formed a really effective line during the second have of the 2021 NHL season. With Bert-Larkin-Raymond on the top line, that would leave something like Ras-Copp-Fabbri. I could see either of those lines being 2nd. (Gagner-Veleno-Erne on the 4th line?)

(This is obviously extremely premature, especially when considering we have a new head coach.)

True, just looking at production, Copp seems to be a better 2 than Suter.  Copp was a 2nd line wing/C for the Rangers down the stretch and had 18 points in 16 games.  Averaging .72 ppg the last two years is much better than what Suter has produced.  That obviously doesnt account for any chemistry created/lost by switching lines however. Will be interesting to see how the new staff fits the pieces together and how they develop the youth. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

True, just looking at production, Copp seems to be a better 2 than Suter.  Copp was a 2nd line wing/C for the Rangers down the stretch and had 18 points in 16 games.  Averaging .72 ppg the last two years is much better than what Suter has produced.  That obviously doesnt account for any chemistry created/lost by switching lines however. Will be interesting to see how the new staff fits the pieces together and how they develop the youth. 

Copp signed to a 5 year, $5.625. Certainly feels like a 2C contract. At 28 years old, I'm good with the length.

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Copp signed to a 5 year, $5.625. Certainly feels like a 2C contract. At 28 years old, I'm good with the length.

A couple other signings with Ben Chiarot, Oli Maata and Dominik Kubilik.  Not to familiar with any of them but nothing earth shattering in the signings.  Some potential with Kubilik and Maata and Chiarot seems like a solid 2nd line D.  The contracts are short other than Chiarot being 4 years for a 31 year old. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

A couple other signings with Ben Chiarot, Oli Maata and Dominik Kubilik.  Not to familiar with any of them but nothing earth shattering in the signings.  Some potential with Kubilik and Maata and Chiarot seems like a solid 2nd line D.  The contracts are short other than Chiarot being 4 years for a 31 year old. 

Kubilik may be a tad high on salary but he’s improving and it’s more likely he outperforms the contract.

You are going to love Perron. 2 years 9.5 million is good for both. Really good signing.

Chiarot is likely a bit high but he’s the kind of player allot of teams would’ve pursued. He’s a player I hoped Edmonton would get signed.

Copp is worth it I suspect. He’s from Ann Arbor has shown improvement. I think this is the contract I’m least sure about. His play in New York is what really got people talking about him but his 25% shooting percentage is clearly unsustainable. I think it will likely be a shrewd signing because Stevie doesn’t miss much.

I think he has a clear objective and path for the Red Wings.Chiarot has experience and will be solid. Shorter contracts for placeholders. All at reasonable dollars. The dollars themselves don’t mean much but none of those contracts undermine long term cap health. 

I think that’s a pretty solid day.

The Oilers had a pretty awesome day as well. 

Taking that first slow pull of mornings first coffee and reading Kane signed in Edmonton was just the start of a good day. 4 years at a cap hit of 5.125 is pretty incredible. 

Jack Campbell 5 years 25 million makes me nervous but it’s really irrelevant because Holland had to get a goalie. JC is a number one goalie etc. but free agent goalies above 3.5 million make me nervous. I think Talbot would’ve been a wiser move. None the less I think it is a needed signing and from what I’ve seen Campbell should do fine.

Brett Kulak 4X2.75 is an excellent signing. He arrived at the deadline and was excellent. Really good defensively up and down the pairings. 

Sometimes the best moves are signing your own players. Especially when there are compromises from both sides.

It will be interesting to see what happens next. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think what these signings show is that Yzerman feels like the team is close to playoff contention. A guy like Chiarot is a great pairing with Seider: big, tough, physical guy that's going to be ready and willing to step in a put a stop to cheap shots levied against the young defenseman. Both Perron and Copp have grit to their games as well, which will be needed as we continue to bring up young playmakers like Raymond, Berggren and Kasper (among others).

I don't think we'll make a strong push until next year, but, with two solid goalies, two legitimate NHLers added to the blue line (along with possibly Edvinsson), and with some strong veteran forwards added to the mix, it wouldn't surprise me if they competed for a spot this year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would love Matthew Tkachuck in Detroit. I think we have the right packages and he'd be a perfect fit both short and long term. If he'd sign long term, I'd love it if El Capitan took a long hard look.

Honest question, can a player for a Canadian NHL team be unvaccinated? No reason.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:01 AM, nagahide13 said:

I would love Matthew Tkachuck in Detroit. I think we have the right packages and he'd be a perfect fit both short and long term. If he'd sign long term, I'd love it if El Capitan took a long hard look.

Honest question, can a player for a Canadian NHL team be unvaccinated? No reason.

I believe that all players had to be vaccinated. Apparently the NHL only had 4 players (4, not 4%) of players who were unvaccinated. The Canadian government still requires masks on federally regulated travel options (trains, planes, etc.). Not sure if this would be the case for private charter planes in Canada.