The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

• 4 weeks later...

God I hate draft lottery systems so so much. Let teams tank if they want, it only costs them money/fans for the chance at a superstar with the 1st pick. 

The worst team in the NBA gets the 5th pick? Literally makes no sense. 

End of rant. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, davisblack said:

God I hate draft lottery systems so so much. Let teams tank if they want, it only costs them money/fans for the chance at a superstar with the 1st pick. 

The worst team in the NBA gets the 5th pick? Literally makes no sense. 

End of rant. 

I agree with you this year but in general I don't.  I like that tanking doesn't have a guaranteed benefit but it shouldnt drop you to 5.  And the odds should still be in your favor as the worst team.  The fact the worst four teams have the same odds is ridiculous. The NHL system is better but they should still give the worst team better odds than that but falling to third at worst makes sense.  Especially in a sport where 1 player can change your franchise so much.  Baseball its a little different given how long it takes for guys to reach the majors and the variable outcomes of prospects so there isnt as much of an advantage there with the top pick. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with you this year but in general I don't.  I like that tanking doesn't have a guaranteed benefit but it shouldnt drop you to 5.  And the odds should still be in your favor as the worst team.  The fact the worst four teams have the same odds is ridiculous. The NHL system is better but they should still give the worst team better odds than that but falling to third at worst makes sense.  Especially in a sport where 1 player can change your franchise so much.  Baseball its a little different given how long it takes for guys to reach the majors and the variable outcomes of prospects so there isnt as much of an advantage there with the top pick. 

I'm all for tanking. The ownership is taking on a risk of alienating it's fans, losing on merchandising, and not being attractive place for free agents. If they want that type of reward for the risk than so be it. But when a team like the Red Wings who legitimately had a dynasty then got old, and had to rebuild, they should not be penalized and that's exactly what has happened to them. Lotteries skew everything because of fear something MIGHT happen, not that it IS happening. Get rid of the lotteries.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Eduardo vetoing that deal and potentially leaking it to the media prior to the deadline is borderline unforgivable IMO. All so he can sit on his laurels and collect. I hope he opts out and goes elsewhere. Good riddance.

Edited by nagahide13
  • Like 1

https://theathletic.com/4741530/2023/08/01/dodgers-eduardo-rodriguez-tigers-mlb-deadline/

a little more backstory that provides zero relief. Apparently Eduardo was aware of the negotiations throughout the process and was having positive conversations about it.

Those conversations were “not definitive” that Rodriguez would waive his no-trade clause, Friedman said, but “there was every reason to believe that he would, through various conversations.”

6 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

https://theathletic.com/4741530/2023/08/01/dodgers-eduardo-rodriguez-tigers-mlb-deadline/

a little more backstory that provides zero relief. Apparently Eduardo was aware of the negotiations throughout the process and was having positive conversations about it.

Yeah, its a slap in the face to Harris and makes him look bad because he obviously had discussions with him enough to think he would waive it.  And his reasoning is ridiculous because its for 2 months and he is always on the road for work anyways so who cares if you are on the east coast closer to family unless they are in your city.  I'm annoyed at both of them and I hope the fans boo him when he is on the mound to make sure he feels he isn't wanted and opts out.  We will take the draft pick compensation instead.  

• 2 weeks later...