The Lions Den: The Anything Thread

X_Factor_40

18 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Far from a UM guy but I'm wondering if they thought they were being cheeky with the rules and taking advantage of what may have been perceived as a loophole due to the NCAA's rules/wordings. 

I just can't imagine that you're going to buy THAT many tickets to games under your own name. They knew what they were doing was wrong but maybe didn't expect it to be "illegal" as it wasn't a direct violation of rules but more so in the 'spirit' of the rules. 

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=3017

The rule is pretty cut and dry.  There is no in-person scouting allowed within the same season unless you are at the same event (ie the Maui Invitational).  The point of the rule is to even the playing field for schools that can't afford it. 

There also is a rule I can't find about recording other teams.  There seems to be video evidence of them recording sidelines.  

There rules are pretty cut and dry.  The fact they went as far as they did to not have him buy them with a UM credit card and didn't have him or his people show up to games last weekend sure makes it sound like they knew what they were doing.  

Now there are reports that the Co-OC that was raided by the FBI in January and fired was hacking into other teams iPads and getting private information.  So overall it looks pretty shady.  

9 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=3017

The rule is pretty cut and dry.  There is no in-person scouting allowed within the same season unless you are at the same event (ie the Maui Invitational).  The point of the rule is to even the playing field for schools that can't afford it. 

There also is a rule I can't find about recording other teams.  There seems to be video evidence of them recording sidelines.  

There rules are pretty cut and dry.  The fact they went as far as they did to not have him buy them with a UM credit card and didn't have him or his people show up to games last weekend sure makes it sound like they knew what they were doing.  

Now there are reports that the Co-OC that was raided by the FBI in January and fired was hacking into other teams iPads and getting private information.  So overall it looks pretty shady.  

Yea we never heard the truth of why he was fired but knew it was shady 

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

yea I actually just made a post in college thread about all this too. I'm tired of being attacked (not here) due to being Michigan fan. I didn't send them to tape games. I didn't condone this.

We are victims in this thing too because a team we loved looked to be about as criminal as can be 

41 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I just got into an argument with a friend about whether Wil E Coyote is intelligent. I voted for smaht. I'm about tapped out on stupid arguments for the next decade so someone else might have to carry me in general.

I feel like he was ADHD smart. Some of his ideas were genius but the execution and the lack of thinking through consequences/potential outcomes were not there. He was creative and smart in that area, but not so much in the follow through department.  He also was extremely handy and could fix and put together machines and pretty intricate items which I would consider smart. If you are going by test taking smart, than probably not but given you can be smart at different things, he definitely was.  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 9:30 PM, nagahide13 said:

Agreed.  He was actually a great value at that price when he pitched but between the weird absence last year and negating the trade this year that would have allowed him to pitch in the playoffs just says a lot about his character and his passion for the game and winning.  I'm glad he is gone, I am annoyed we got nothing for him, but think we will be better off without him.  I just wish Javy would do the same but he would be an idiot to do so. 

Next year having a rotation of Skubal, Manning, Mize, Reese Olson, and one of Sawyer Gipson-Long, Madden or Flores should still be quite solid.  Manning's injury history scares me long term but thats where Flores/Madden/Long come into play.  Not to mention the sudden rise of Brant Hurter, and Troy Melton and I think we should be solid on the pitching front.  Then having Jobe not far behind likely for the 2025 rotation.  I will say for as bad as Avila was at trades and signing free agents, he did have some pretty solid drafts, even if he left some guys on the board I wanted more.  Jobe, Colt Keith, Mattison, Melton, Justice Bigbie, Meadows finally, Hurter, Skubal, Riley Green, Tork, Wilmer Flores, Jace Jung, Madden, Dingler, and trading for Sawyer Gipson-Long just before being fired all are looking like good moves and players that he drafted relatively recently.  I am not saying I want him back but the minors are set up pretty well with talent, especially when adding in what Harris did this year in the draft and trades.  I do think some of the moves Harris made with reorganizing some of the minors and improving coaches/facilities has helped the development of that talent, but Avila did bring it here to be developed.  I am looking forward to the future of the Tigers again like I was 2 years ago when our young stars were coming up and we added Austin Meadows, Javy and Eduardo before Javy completely gave up on trying and before Austin smoked weed that made him so anxious that he can't be around the sport anymore.  Now those stars are developing and the next wave is on the cusp and I think we will have some freedom to spend in free agency if the player is right.  There are not a ton of guys I love as free agents but maybe we can break into the Japan market and get an elite young pitcher or bat from there.  Still a good chance we sign a SP and there are plenty of options but don't think its overly necessary with the development internally and hopefully having Mize back to full health.  

• Like 1