Post game: GB 35 DAL 31

Rodjahs12

4 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I've become more and more impressed by Martinez every week. Going into the year I thought it was going to be Jake Ryan who took the next step( was a big fan of his in college) but he's been pretty invisible.

I agree. Martinez is balling.

(I thought you went to bed?) :)

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

it was a lucky bounce that dallas recovered that fumble at half too.

and you ignore that. seems like you just want to count everything remotely possible against the defense.

No just that they didn't play a good game today at all

The first half was pretty brutal for the defense, especially on 3rd and long.  That 3rd and 14 on the opening drive got Dallas going.  Second half was a much different story though, with the one exception being the 8 minute drive.  

10 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

I've become more and more impressed by Martinez every week. Going into the year I thought it was going to be Jake Ryan who took the next step( was a big fan of his in college) but he's been pretty invisible.

I thought so too.  Jake Ryan I thought was really good last year before he got hurt but Martinez has been way better so far.

Im going to be interested to watch the defensive film. We've always been a bend but dont break team that is OK to give up the short stuff but tries to limit points and big plays. Well Dallas came out with the idea that 4+4+4 is a first down and went a couple yards and a cloud of dust down the field on us all day. So many 3rd and shorts we just didnt win, and if we did they went for it on 4th and got it. Zeke still got his but I feel we bottled him up much better, no back breaking runs. Hopefully King isn't hurt too bad, I thought Randall was excellent, Hawkins was good. HHCD was dreadful and has been every week we haven't faced Mike Glennon, legit concerned he isn't a long term fixture. Pass rush was anywhere from bad to barely adequate, but that OL is unreal. Overall, they did just enough, I think their true level lies somewhere between what we saw the last 6 quarters of the Cin/Chi games and what we saw in the ATL/Dallas games. Somewhere between 12 and 18 is where they'll end up.

Offensively, what do we do with Ty? I think it's time to use our backs like NE. I think Ty can be a true 3rd down back, Jones handles most of the carries and Williams (who I think will be leagues better with Bahk back and Taylor at LG) spells them on early down stuff. Davante needs an extension, not Linsley (another pick from that draft class who's regressed in a contract year) just yet. Nice to see us hit Bennett vertically, just bad that Mac and Aaron haven't used him in the redzone though. Hope Jordy is OK. Aaron is the GOAT.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. They'd played rather average.

I'd call it average if they got our offense a couple more possessions but those long *** drives kept the game closer than it should have been with how badly our offense was destroying them.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Im going to be interested to watch the defensive film. We've always been a bend but dont break team that is OK to give up the short stuff but tries to limit points and big plays. Well Dallas came out with the idea that 4+4+4 is a first down and went a couple yards and a cloud of dust down the field on us all day. So many 3rd and shorts we just didnt win, and if we did they went for it on 4th and got it. Zeke still got his but I feel we bottled him up much better, no back breaking runs. Hopefully King isn't hurt too bad, I thought Randall was excellent, Hawkins was good. HHCD was dreadful and has been every week we haven't faced Mike Glennon, legit concerned he isn't a long term fixture. Pass rush was anywhere from bad to barely adequate, but that OL is unreal. Overall, they did just enough, I think their true level lies somewhere between what we saw the last 6 quarters of the Cin/Chi games and what we saw in the ATL/Dallas games. Somewhere between 12 and 18 is where they'll end up.

Offensively, what do we do with Ty? I think it's time to use our backs like NE. I think Ty can be a true 3rd down back, Jones handles most of the carries and Williams (who I think will be leagues better with Bahk back and Taylor at LG) spells them on early down stuff. Davante needs an extension, not Linsley (another pick from that draft class who's regressed in a contract year) just yet. Nice to see us hit Bennett vertically, just bad that Mac and Aaron haven't used him in the redzone though. Hope Jordy is OK. Aaron is the GOAT.

King looked like a mild concussion from my untrained eye. Who knows though, heads are freaky. Look at Davante... Agreed on HHCD, let's get JJ up to speed asap. Have HHCD next year on the option to see what we have there. Hopefully JJ (and/or Brice) makes a jump to make him less of a priority for an extension unless he REALLY earns it.

If our defense is between the CHI/CIN version (top 5) and today's (average) they are a 7-10 defense, which I feel is about right for this squad.

I'm thrilled we have 2 legit options at RB, keeps them both fresh heading into January ideally. 

1 minute ago, Stevein2012 said:

I'd call it average if they got our offense a couple more possessions but those long *** drives kept the game closer than it should have been with how badly our offense was destroying them.

That's what Dallas can do to a defense that is play average though. They are a top 3 team (I just made that up, but I bet it close) at sustaining drives due to that line and Elliott. I would have loved to have gotten off the field more frequently on 3rd and 4th. Game of inches, a couple of places that we did or should have, or came damn close (the first TD botched call, the 4th down EE extension, etc) and it goes from an average performance to a plus performance.

The defense isn't as bad as you think it is.

Archived