Post game: GB 35 DAL 31

Rodjahs12

Martinez seems to be getting comfortable and has the instincts to play inside.

Ryan is a convert to ILB just not sure the instincts to diagnose the play quick enough often enough to make plays.

Helps having both Clark and Daniels eating up blocks.

10 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

The other guys get paid too.

Credit where credit it due. Prescott had some really great plays today especially on third downs. 

This is very true.  His plays on 3rd down in the first quarter were borderline incredible.  His Zone read play in the red zone in the 4th quarter... that was a play we NEED to defend better.  Brooks can't play that way if we want to beat a player like him in the playoffs.  Dallas, Carolina, Seattle and others will be MUCH more willing to run that against us when QB injuries are risked for playoff wins.

The pick 6 was a gift.  It should have been a short completion and instead it was a drop and a pick and a score.  Zero incog points awarded.  Good stop before halftime, and unlucky not to grab that fumble.  Many incog points awarded.

Randall was acting like the child he is after the pick 6.  If that's what he needs, that overconfidence and irrational swagger, so be it but I'm not a fan of his style.  He acquitted himself well otherwise, including good coverage on the Bryant TD (perfect throw).

HHCD looks awful and plays with zero urgency or physicality.  Maybe he needs a bit less on his shoulders.

This is a different defense with/without Kevin King.  You could see the dynamics change in the passing game when he left.  Bryant started to get going, safeties started helping on Bryant more, and then Witten started to feast.  From there, the run game got going for Dallas, and then the defense was overwhelmed.  Having both King and House is critical. 

We were fortunate that Dallas threw incomplete to Bryant rather than continuing their run attack and forcing time or a timeout from us.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Forgot who it was that pointed it out. But by the rule, the defense DID stop Zeke on that 4th and 1.

So that's 4 stops on 8 drives by the defense now ;)

yeah, I was screaming that at the television at the time.

I responded to the 4th and 1 thing in the NFL Gen thread, I'll quote it here:

I think regardless of how it's written, in practice the forward progress rule is is that you get the furthest forward spot that you have while in contact with an opponent. The language of the rulebook specifically talks about being held or restrained, but there's lots of circumstances where that wording doesn't really apply that are still treated as forward progress (being hit by a shoulder tackle that knocks you backward but doesn't hold or restrain you still entitles you to forward progress, for example, even if it just causes you to run out of bounds on your own volition, while moving backward). If memory serves, a runner isn't entitled to clock stoppage if they run out of bounds (backward) on their own volition after their forward progress has been stopped in bounds, for instance.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/McCarthy_Very_proud_of_Aaron_Jones/b757eeff-389c-4c52-a484-d9775c5507b4

lol, contrary to what everyone and their aunt was saying the GDT, a reporter DID ask about the 2pt decision (near end).

Still don't get the outrage over it to be honest. Either you have your offense go for it or, in the scenario of concern when the other team scores a TD, THEIR offense will go for it. It makes sense to me that MM would have more faith in our offense executing right after a TD vs our defense stopping an attempt right after giving up a TD.

It wasn't the wrong call.

Other than goal line it goes by

10 hours ago, Quark3 said:

Rules question: when Dallas had 4th and 1 on their last drive, Elliot dove through the line and extended the ball forward so that the ball reached the 19 yard line, the first down marker, then pulled it back in to his chest. On that basis, replay ruled that he gained the first down. But, why? If this was a goal line situation a ruling of TD would make sense, because once you the ball breaks the plane, that's it, TD, play over.

But in this case, the ball breaking the first down plane of the 19 yard line doesn't stop the play, so when Zeke pulled the ball back to his body around the 20 and was tackled, making it now short of the 19, seems like the ball should have been spotted there, not where he had extended it to, making it Packers ball.

What am i missing about the rule here?

Forward progress is the rule, he was laying on top of guys so he wasn't ruled down. So it goes by where the ball is when your progress is stopped, the replay showed him still moving forward when he  extended the ball for the first down.

Archived