2021 draft talk

Johnny Nix

10 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Agree with the top 3.  Would have Slater at the top of the tier 2 guys.  If not Chase, I don't think we need to grab a WR in the first.

Waddle is legit tho. The only thing that worries me is drafting another “injured” 1st rounder. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Nix said:

If they sign some guys in FA on the OL you still want Sewell?

YES.  Because I don't think they sign OTs.  Moton tagged.  Trent Williams will garner over $20 mill per.  FA interior linemen would be my route, then draft the OT

Just now, INbengalfan said:

YES.  Because I don't think they sign OTs.  Moton tagged.  Trent Williams will garner over $20 mill per.  FA interior linemen would be my route, then draft the OT

I’m not against it, but if they signed a decent RT, I would be open to Chase and other weapons

3 minutes ago, Johnny Nix said:

I’m not against it, but if they signed a decent RT, I would be open to Chase and other weapons

I would be too.  It's not like Jonah is a terrible LT.  But I want the best line possible.  Say they sign a top OG like Thuney.

Sewell-Thuney-Hopkins (Price)- Spain/XSF-Jonah sounds great.

If they double dipped in the second on a RT or traded/signed a guy

Sewell-Thuney-Hopkins-Jonah-RT (Haverstein in trade, draft p[ick, whatever)

I'd love Chase here.  In my mock the other day, I made a crazy push for a trade with Philly if both Sewell and Chase made it to 5, attempting to trade for 6.  

If they getb another OT, then Chase would be a perfect pick

Sewell or Chase are the only guys I'd take at 5, there are a plethora of guys i'd be happy with in the 9-12 range while picking up a 2nd rd pick (Slater, Darrisaw, Pitts, Farley, Parsons is a lot easier to accept at that range as opposed to top 5, Rousseau, and Surtain would all be solid picks after a trade down.  That's seven guys right there , so if you stay top 12, you are guaranteed one of them and any of them can be justified.  Parsons is still probably the bottom of that list for me.

Jake from Locked On Bengals made a compelling argument that if you draft Sewell, putting him at RT may not be the worst idea.  The AFC North has several elite pass rushers who rush from the left side of the defense or rotate pretty evenly between sides like Garrett does.  Jonah is settled at LT and the blind side vs strong side doesn't mean as much as it used to.  Plus, Sewell hasn't played in over a year, so Jonah may be the better pass blocker in 2021.

This week's fun with the PFN simulator.  I trade down with Chase their at 5 since it's only to 7, and I pick up 41, and then Detroit takes Waddle at 5.

• CIN
    Ja'Marr Chase
    WR LSU
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Ronnie Perkins
    EDGE Oklahoma
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Greg Newsome II
    CB Northwestern
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Dillon Radunz
    OT North Dakota State

• CIN
    Adrian Ealy
    OT Oklahoma
    trade icon
  • CIN
    Marlon Tuipulotu
    DT USC

• CIN
    Daelin Hayes
    EDGE Notre Dame
    trade icon
  • CIN
    David Moore
    OG Grambling State

• CIN
    Evan McPherson
    K Florida

• CIN
    Ian Book
    QB Notre Dame

Is it just me or is it crazy how far off all of these companies are with their mock draft simulators? Both in terms of trade value and prospect rankings. Like on PFF, you can get a 1, 2, and 3 this year and a 1 and 2 each of the next 2 years to move back 4 spots from 5 to 9. On PFN, you are lucky to get a 2nd moving back like 6-7 spots. 

Just now, Carson4MVP said:

Is it just me or is it crazy how far off all of these companies are with their mock draft simulators? Both in terms of trade value and prospect rankings. Like on PFF, you can get a 1, 2, and 3 this year and a 1 and 2 each of the next 2 years to move back 4 spots from 5 to 9. On PFN, you are lucky to get a 2nd moving back like 6-7 spots. 

Maybe as we get a little closer to the draft, the shot groupings on prospect rankings will tighten a bit. 

37 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I think there's a premium at the top of the draft they don't account for and just stuck really close to the chart.

I think most over rate that premium.  The only huge premium anyone would give up this year is for Lawrence, and Jacksonville isn't budging (and rightfully so).

What are everyone's thoughts on Edge this draft?  Even if we can keep Lawson (which is in doubt), I still think we need another one with Hubbard's ceiling being a 8-10 sack guy with most years more likely being in the 3-6 range (2 last year was a bit of an oof).

Round 1 - About the only rd 1 edge I would be comfortable with would be Rousseau, and that would be after a trade down out of the top 10.  Paye has some promise, but it's not a 1st rd pick that I would be super excited about, and not someone I take in the top 15.

Round 2 - This is where I think we are most likely to take an edge rusher as I think one of Carlos Basham, Ronnie Perkins, Jaelan Phillips, and maybe Jayson Oweh make a lot of sense.  Oweh has the most upside of this group, but he also has the lowest floor.

Round 3 - Here is where it starts to get thin.  In this range I'd like Patrick Jones, Quincy Roche, or Rashad Weaver as guys who could eventually be impact players

Day 3 - Here is where you are just looking at guys with maybe one good trait you hope you can build on and really won't be more than depth right away. Victor Dimukeje, Shaka Toney, Daelin Hayes, Janarius Robinson, Jonathan Cooper, and a host of smaller school guys I don't know much about.

I think rd 1 edge is the least likely, but i'd be shocked if we don't take one on day 2.  If Rousseau can put it all together, he could be a lead the league in sacks kind of guy, but it's by no means a sure thing, and I think we get Burrow either protection or a weapon in rd 1 (Sewell, Chase, Pitts, or trade down for Darrisaw or if one of the big 3 WR slips a little)