THE Aaron Jones Thread

incognito_man

Aaron Jones had a very nice game but a large chunk his yards can be credited to awful linebacker play.  The Dallas LBs were biting hard on play action and were out of position to make plays in the run game all afternoon.   If he has half as good a game against the Vikes run D it will be impressive.  His vision got him the initial yards to and through the line.  After that is was bad defense.  

I would really like to see him get the ball more in the passing game too.  

8 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Aaron Jones had a very nice game but a large chunk his yards can be credited to awful linebacker play.  The Dallas LBs were biting hard on play action and were out of position to make plays in the run game all afternoon.   If he has half as good a game against the Vikes run D it will be impressive.  His vision got him the initial yards to and through the line.  After that is was bad defense.  

I would really like to see him get the ball more in the passing game too.  

How does biting on playaction make a defender out of position defending the run? 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I was just curious with that overall take because the story fennel seems to be telling is that it was more Jones playing very well thank anything else.

To me the key was Marty simply dominating their DE's. The fact that we could send Bulaga or Taylor into the 2nd level without worrying about combo blocking the DE was huge. Guy is such a weapon for our run game.

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

To me the key was Marty simply dominating their DE's. The fact that we could send Bulaga or Taylor into the 2nd level without worrying about combo blocking the DE was huge. Guy is such a weapon for our run game.

Here's the article on Bennett's superb run blocking from his time in NE

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-martellus-bennett

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

On the 1 min drive at end of game, Nice combo by Evans/Linsley on the DT, nice kick-out by Bulaga, but this was a SOFT 5 man front vs 5 blockers.  Once Evans got up to Durant it was OVER.

Really nice playcall, really good by A-rod to stick with the run.

The 2nd run in the 2 min (which forced the TO) was a 2nd and 10 RPO.  Again it's 5 on 5, Again it's a good call to hand it off since the LB stays home spying rodgers (making it 5 on 4 potentially).  McCray has to block the LB, and he sees him coming right to him.

etPaGRW.jpg

McCray just absolutely WHIFFS here as you can see in the 2nd image.  Taylor does fine sealing off the DE, and Linsley does fine vs David Irving the DT.  Jahri Evans is kind of doing nothing, but it's ok because Hitchens is kind of doing nothing too.  This isn't the easiest block for McCray, but he really just needs to get a piece and Jones is gonna spurt out the left side for 10+ yards.  Durant jukes him and blows up the play.

9EEfY0S.jpg

40 minutes ago, Pad Level said:

Jones should be our feature back and Ty should have a role similar to Duke Johnson. 

You praised Jones right from the get go, well done. And I completely agree with your take about him being given the opportunity to become the feature back. 

It was so fun to see Jones' speed, especially on that turf, on Sunday. Would love to see him get involved in the passing game in some way given his explosiveness.

It is obviously too soon to declare him the RB of the future, but Jones brings an element to the backfield that has not been present in GB since ...?

And while he is obviously a rookie, Jones has been playing RB longer than Montgomery at the collegiate/NFL level. 

Fifth round RBs can be very productive even in their rookie year -- see Jordan Howard of the Bears.

Who knows, maybe he can follow in James Starks' footsteps as rookie RBs who help lead the Pack to the promised land.

I really like the potential of a 1-2 punch with Jones and Monty. Very similar players overall and both can catch the ball. I think MM can create some mismatches with these guys lining them in and out of the backfield. Ty Montgomery is a matchup nightmare in the passing game and the emergence of Jones allows MM to get creative with him. Almost like a Percy Harvin type of role. He could do some runs out of the backfield but also line up in the slot and outside at WR. I like the possibilities with this offense going forward. We really need Bahk back though. He's the missing cog from this offense looking like 2011 all over again.

Archived