Jaguars 2021 Official Draft Thread - News and Notes

.Buzz

17 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Edge, OT in that first few picks mix makes a lot of sense to me too.

Safety, ehhh...i'm not as sure.  I don't really like Holland that much tbh, i feel like he's almost more of a NB or something.  If they landed Moehrig, that'd be fine...but other than that, i like Grant...but i'd probably just wait and see.  I get the desire to improve the spot...but i'm just not sure the value is going to be there.

I'd put WR ahead of that based on how it looks likely to fall.  LBer too, has some really interesting names there.  Even if it's not as pressing a need positionally...our need fundamentally, is for impact players.  And LBer feels like it has more guys that fit the bill, likely to be there around those pick ranges.

We kinda need a nb. Don't trust any of our current guys to be a good slot guy

It's possible we take a NB second round or third round, but I just don't see it as a position that's as pressing as others. Couple that with the NB depth in this class, both with true NBs and hybrid-type players, I don't think we need to spend one of our high picks on one. 

One of the prospects I'm very intrigued by in that 3rd to 5th round range is Ar'Darius Washington. He's an undersized safety from LSU at 5'8" and around 175-180 pounds, but his tape at TCU is very good and he is that Safety-NB hybrid type of player. If we miss out on a true NB or want to get creative, we could use him as NB at least some of the time.

2 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

It's possible we take a NB second round or third round, but I just don't see it as a position that's as pressing as others. Couple that with the NB depth in this class, both with true NBs and hybrid-type players, I don't think we need to spend one of our high picks on one. 

One of the prospects I'm very intrigued by in that 3rd to 5th round range is Ar'Darius Washington. He's an undersized safety from LSU at 5'8" and around 175-180 pounds, but his tape at TCU is very good and he is that Safety-NB hybrid type of player. If we miss out on a true NB or want to get creative, we could use him as NB at least some of the time.

I believe in holland as a Safety that can slide down to cover slots and insert wilson or Jenkins into the unoccupied safety position. 

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I believe in holland as a Safety that can slide down to cover slots and insert wilson or Jenkins into the unoccupied safety position. 

But why though?

Why not just have a safety who is a safety?  Like...if the guy is good enough to be a Safety...why would you want to move him half the time in nickel packages, to a different position?

If your Safeties are legitimately good, you shouldn't want to move them in "certain situations".

So what you're drafting, is really more of a nickel/safety hybrid.  In which case...there's a bunch of guys out there who could fit that role, without having to shuffle your safeties around.  And probably available quite a bit later in the draft.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

But why though?

Why not just have a safety who is a safety?  Like...if the guy is good enough to be a Safety...why would you want to move him half the time in nickel packages, to a different position?

If your Safeties are legitimately good, you shouldn't want to move them in "certain situations".

So what you're drafting, is really more of a nickel/safety hybrid.  In which case...there's a bunch of guys out there who could fit that role, without having to shuffle your safeties around.  And probably available quite a bit later in the draft.

I think there's a place for DBs who can do both. Whether that's in a Desmond King type role like how the Chargers used him or in an overhang type player role who can play both safety and nickel corner as well as potentially take on other responsibilities such as lining up in the box or rushing the passer. Taking one in the top 45 though I'd want a guy with high level ability.

Guys like Derwin James and Jamal Adams are great examples of guys who play overhang (as well as other roles) and put a lot of use into that versatility. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is seen as a top prospect because he fits that sort of role as a hybrid player who can bring a lot of versatility to a defense.

All that being said, I really don't see Holland in this sort of versatile mold as much as a guy you'd want to play Safety, but could play Nickel in a pinch. I know a lot of people are high on Holland, but I personally don't see him as a top 40 player. I wouldn't be upset taking him at 45, but there are others I'd prefer. I'd rather go Moehrig at 25 or 33 + a hybrid type player with potential in the mid to late rounds vs Holland at 33 or 45, for example. 

25. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

Jacksonville will ponder Caleb Farley at this spot, as cornerback is the more immediate need. Additionally, I’m told the Jaguars are not worried about his back. At any rate, Trevon Moehrig is who I have Urban Meyer and company taking with their second first-rounder.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-round-pauline/