The Official GM Search Thread

.Buzz

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So, taking our Meyer, still a lot to unpack from that blurb.

Sounds like we are wanting a HC that will get control of all things on the field/the team. So more of a pairing like what's been happening recently than a GM who then interviews HCs.

Besides Urban, what coaches are out there that would have the clout to have that much power? Marvin Lewis? 

10 minutes ago, Chops013 said:

Besides Urban, what coaches are out there that would have the clout to have that much power? Marvin Lewis? 

Yeah, hard to know. But the way I'm interpretating it is the HC wouldnt have full power, more so makes it sound like it'd be a Shanny/Lynch pairing. HC getting a lot of say in personnel (as it should be) but not exactly like he's running the whole ship himself.

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Sounds like we are wanting a HC that will get control of all things on the field/the team. So more of a pairing like what's been happening recently than a GM who then interviews HCs.

Aside from the Urban connection, is there anything else suggesting that’s the case?

47 minutes ago, pwny said:

Aside from the Urban connection, is there anything else suggesting that’s the case?

"If the Jaguars fire Doug Marrone at the end of the year, the sense among those working the job market is that Jacksonville owner Shad Khan will hire a coach and build around that coach with other hires. The Jags just went to more of a coach-centric model under Marrone (he got final say over the 53-man roster earlier this year), so there are already signs of things going that way."

That blurb to me sounds like they want exactly that. Breer just mentioned Urban Meyer after that. The way they talked about Marrones new role back in January as far as having more input into the draft/roster and him having final say over who makes the team/is on the 53. Sounds exactly like what CLE did with the Stefanski hire a year ago and what more teams are going to.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Prisco said he's heard Urban's name linked to Jags as well.

Hard to know if that's mutual or just Shad being interested. He used him as a consultant last year I believe.

I wouldn’t mind Urban my only concern is him being able to connect with grown men. Harbaugh struggled with it with the 49ers it started well and ended poorly. Urban has had issues with his character in the past playing manipulation games with grown men could create issues and fracture a locker room in the long run. Him and Fields pairing would be interesting. 

1010xl has Albert Breer on yesterday and he is doubling down on his Urban to the Jags talk. Said he has heard from many sources that it is a possibility. 

It was also noted that Breer and Urban are very close friends. Still doubt it happens but there definitely seems to be legit smoke there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chops013 said:

1010xl has Albert Breer on yesterday and he is doubling down on his Urban to the Jags talk. Said he has heard from many sources that it is a possibility. 

It was also noted that Breer and Urban are very close friends. Still doubt it happens but there definitely seems to be legit smoke there.

Interesting...

There's questions around him for sure. But there's going to be around any and all guys hired. Want to hire a bright coordinator? Well, how will he transition to the role of leading a team? Hire a retread? Well how will this go around be different with more success with a potentially worse situation/roster when he arrives? 

Maybe not at the very top for me but I'd be here for it. I'd imagine it'd be a decent bit less stressful when you take out the year around recruiting in college but who knows.

20 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Interesting...

There's questions around him for sure. But there's going to be around any and all guys hired. Want to hire a bright coordinator? Well, how will he transition to the role of leading a team? Hire a retread? Well how will this go around he different more successful with a potentially worse situation/roster when he arrives? 

Maybe not at the very top for me but I'd be here for it. I'd imagine it'd be a decent bit less stressful when you take out the year around recruiting in college but who knows.

Yeah, Breer made it sound like the main hang up would be Urban’s health.

He did state that Urban has spent the past year or so researching the NFL. Said he has been reaching out to former players and coaches in the NFL to see how different college is from the pros. I believe Matt Hayes said Belichick was probably one of the coaches that Urban has been speaking with.

Urban would probably the splashiest hire of the off-season, which is why I doubt it happens lol.

15 minutes ago, Chops013 said:

Yeah, Breer made it sound like the main hang up would be Urban’s health.

He did state that Urban has spent the past year or so researching the NFL. Said he has been reaching out to former players and coaches in the NFL to see how different college is from the pros. I believe Matt Hayes said Belichick was probably one of the coaches that Urban has been speaking with.

Urban would probably the splashiest hire of the off-season, which is why I doubt it happens lol.

Yeah...I would hope Khan and co. would make sure they have some assurance too. Can't imagine they want to pay up for Urban just for him to beat it in a year or two.

I've heard Urban and Belichick are good buddies so that wouldn't surprise me. Based on reading around, Urban LOVES Fields and with the security/draft capital I can get why he'd be intrigued. I know it's bleak to be a Jags fan but the situation is pretty great for most GMs/coaches (if you believe in Fields) with how patient the owner is and a real chance to build your own team.

So many rumors out there/interviews for everyone but us. Makes me think the Urban stuff is true. If we hire a coach of that caliber he's going to be in the process of hiring a GM...which would make us not getting linked/interviewing candidates make sense.