The Official GM Search Thread

.Buzz

Poor Dave. Stuck around for 8 years, blew the team up to be in this position and is two games away from landing a generational player at the most important position in sports. 

But this is going to be an attractive job for sure. Lawrence, the picks, the cap space. I don’t think there is a better situation to walk into.

• Like 1

Yeah, the only job that's potentially more interesting is the Jets **if they get the first pick. 

But for a GM to know that Shad will give years to figure things out, and if we have a shot at Lawrence, plus another first and two seconds, on top of a ton of cash to spend, this is the most attractive job in the league for my money. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 6:54 AM, DuvalsKing said:

This is why I don’t like when coaching staffs make excuses about injuries. If you’re a coach you figure it out. Have the Jags been hit hard by injury yes but the 49ers make it happen with less. 

As someone who has followed the Vikings for a long time, I can say that there are some disadvantages to having a defensive minded head coach.  One of the big ones is that you tend to lose your OCs a lot more often when you are successful than you would with your DCs if you were an offensive-minded head coach.  It just seems like the trend in the league is heading more and more toward offense. 

Another thing is that now that you have the inside track to getting the best quarterback prospect that has come along in a long time, it might make sense to do as much as you possibly can to help him succeed.  A head coach who thinks about offense a good part of the time would be an advantage.  Compare that to a guy like Mike Zimmer, who is a good coach, but he doesn't really spend much time in helping his quarterback succeed.  He prefers to concentrate on the team's defense and seems to let the OC have almost complete control in the day to day work with the offense.  

At the same time, there are examples of defensive-minded head coaches who have been successful.  Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, and Mike Tomlin are a few.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

One of the big ones is that you tend to lose your OCs a lot more often when you are successful than you would with your DCs if you were an offensive-minded head coach.  It just seems like the trend in the league is heading more and more toward offense. 

I brought this up as a potential issue before, worried that a defensive coach might not have the stability on the offensive side to develop a rookie QB, and mentioned it as a question, and @.Buzz mentioned several defensive coaches that have been able to develop a QB who had stabile careers even recently.

Still a concern for turnover, but a good number of teams seem to be handling it well. 

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Another one opens.

It doesn’t matter.. if the Jags hold on.. I’m telling you the Jags will be in the drivers seat for whoever they want everybody will be lined up waiting to take this job coaches included. To the point everybody will be waiting to see what the Jags do until they make their move they’ll have the pick of the litter of whoever they choose just because of Trevor.. you add location, cap space, young core.. and the ability to trim even more fat and really the opportunity to truly create something special.. from the ground up Jacksonville could be a true destination spot here in the next 3 years.

Edited by DuvalsKing

Just now, DuvalsKing said:

It doesn’t matter.. if the Jags hold on.. I’m telling you the Jags will be in the drivers seat for whoever they want everybody will be lined up waiting to take this job. To the point everybody will be waiting to see what the Jags do until they make their move they’ll have the pick of the litter of whoever they choose just because of Trevor.. you add location, cap space, young core.. and the ability to trim even more fat and really the opportunity to truly create something special.. from the ground up Jacksonville could be a true destination spot here in the next 3 years.

Yeah, I'm not going down that path until the end of the season. We've all thought the Jets had that pick on lockdown for the past few months. **** happens.

5 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

from the dillacle

Was just coming in to post this.

I'm not a huge fan of the person but if we want someone to come in with a clear vision and give us an identity this is one of the best options I'd say.

With us essentially locked in with TLaw or Fields, I imagine this happens truthfully.