What if...

What if the Vikings QBOF is already on an NFL roster.  I'm not talking about a 15 year veteran where we wonder if they have enough gas in the tank, but rather, is there a backup that is behind a solid starter that would excel if given the chance?  Is there a starter that maybe a really bad team is giving up on to early?

Dwayne Haskins, Sam Darnold, Carson Wentz, Jacoby Brissett, Jake Luton, Marcus Mariota, PJ Walker, Gardner Minshew...are any of these guys worth making an offer on?

PS.  I really don't think Wentz will be available...but being on the Eagles this season is showing that he's really their only weapon and defenses can go off on him.  He needs help...like a Dalvin Cook and a Justin Jefferson!!

24 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

What if the Vikings QBOF is already on an NFL roster.  I'm not talking about a 15 year veteran where we wonder if they have enough gas in the tank, but rather, is there a backup that is behind a solid starter that would excel if given the chance?  Is there a starter that maybe a really bad team is giving up on to early?

Dwayne Haskins, Sam Darnold, Carson Wentz, Jacoby Brissett, Jake Luton, Marcus Mariota, PJ Walker, Gardner Minshew...are any of these guys worth making an offer on?

PS.  I really don't think Wentz will be available...but being on the Eagles this season is showing that he's really their only weapon and defenses can go off on him.  He needs help...like a Dalvin Cook and a Justin Jefferson!!

Wentz has been bad all year. Google the man and see what the sports world has to say. I have an article for you that is illuminating. This quote from Brandon Gowton of Bleeding Green Nation (Eagles SB Nation Site) for starters:

"The Eagles’ starting quarterback ranks 31st out of 32 starting quarterbacks this season in Pro Football Reference’s “percentage of on-target throws per pass attempt.” Only Drew Lock has been worse in terms of accuracy. Wentz is leaving way too many throws on the field. It’s ridiculous to only attribute Wentz’s struggles to coaching when he can’t even make layups."

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020/12/3/22150137/packers-eagles-q-a-whats-behind-carson-wentzs-struggles-week-13-offense

The rest of those guys are sketchy. Cousins has been playing good/great football lately and I'd like to see the team look for a prospect at a later point in the draft this year. 

I would be very interested in Darnold as a backup to Cousins. Unfortunately we probably don't have the cap space to make that work and I doubt Darnold would have any interest being a backup so he'd most likely bolt once his contract expired after the 2021-22 season.

Haskins I want NOTHING to do with if the reports about his work ethic are true. Would take a hell of a face-to-face meeting to change my mind. I would also be offering a low round pick with conditions if he did change my mind.

There isn't one I'm really fond of...I've never been impressed with Wentz any time I've seen him play.  He reminds me of Kyle Boller...you get wow'ed with his skill-set and what he looks like, but he'll never really get it.  Darnold or Rosen do nothing for me.

Honestly, and this may be the most preposterous thing I've ever written here, but if he could back up a good QB, (yes, I put Cousins in that list), I think Mitch Trubisky can be redeemed.  I just think he's playing for a bad organization for QBs and a bad developer of QBs in Matt Nagy.  Nagy never deserved the job he got, as far as I was concerned.  He rode the coattails of Andy Reid and Doug Pederson (kinda the same as John DeFilippo), and even once he got the OC job in KC, he didn't develop a young QB, he had veterans in Alex Smith and Chase Daniel (and then Nick Foles).     

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Honestly, and this may be the most preposterous thing I've ever written here, but if he could back up a good QB, (yes, I put Cousins in that list), I think Mitch Trubisky can be redeemed.  I just think he's playing for a bad organization for QBs and a bad developer of QBs in Matt Nagy.  Nagy never deserved the job he got, as far as I was concerned.  He rode the coattails of Andy Reid and Doug Pederson (kinda the same as John DeFilippo), and even once he got the OC job in KC, he didn't develop a young QB, he had veterans in Alex Smith and Chase Daniel (and then Nick Foles).     

I'd much rather roll the dice with Trubisky than Sean Mannion. Count me in.

Edited by VikeManDan

11 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

With the exception of Drew Brees, has there really been this situation ever happen in the last 50 years?

9 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I'd much rather roll the dice with Trubisky than Sean Mannion. Count me in.

Same. I really think his career could have been so much better had he not been so overdrafted like he was. The run game and PA in the Vikings offense would work to his strengths. Is he a FA after the year?