Is Travis Kelce an all time great TE?

CP3MVP

17 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Kelce

He’s gonna make his 6th pro bowl this season, gonna make his 5th all pro after being a 2X 1 and 2nd team all pro. He’s 3rd in receiving  yards overall and lapping the TE field In a historic way http://www.footballperspective.com/travis-kelce-is-lapping-the-tight-end-field-in-2020/

Are we witnessed the prime of an all time great TE? Will he make the Hall? And where is his ceiling on the all time TE list in your opinion?

Kelce is great.  I think Kittle is a better tight end, the guy is a beast, but we'll just never know for sure as he's on a run-first team with mediocre quarterback play overall. 

So I agree with you that if Kelce stays health and on the Chiefs, yeah, he'll be smashing the record books for sure. 

9 hours ago, DannyB said:

Exactly, all I can do is judge how he compares in this era. You can't accurately assess him head to head with like, Mike Ditka. However, even in this era there are TEs who excel as both receivers and blockers. I'd have Gronk with Gonzo on my tier 1 (I personally think Gronk is the best ever, and while longevity doesn't look to be his strong suit, he showed he was the elite of the elite for enough seasons that I think it's fair to make an ultimate judgment. I think Witten is a fairly decent comp, except I give the edge to Kelce because even though Witten was the better blocker, I'll take the more dynamic receiving threat. And I feel like, if everything looks like it'll hold as it looks now, Witten would be just off my HoF ballot and Kelce would probably just make it.

Witten would be off your HOF ballot?

15 hours ago, Starless said:

He's neck & neck with Gronk's per-game production, except for touchdowns. He lacks the 'wow' factor that Gronk had in his prime, but makes up for it with his durability. Gronk is the most dominant TE ever to play the game, but even as a Pats fan, I have to admit I would sacrifice that for a guy who might play at a slightly lower level but also is consistently out there for 16 games a year. If Gronk had Kelce's durability, there's a good chance we'd be talking about the Pats having 8 or 9 championships, instead of 6.

Missing the blocking part for me. Not that Kelce is a bad blocker, but he could double all of Gronk's stats and you still could make argument you'd take Gronk just for the 2 way play. His blocking was ridiculous

For similar reasons I have Kittle over Kelce, too. But this shouldn't be seen as taking anything from Kelce. The guy is crazy good and is guaranteed production. The fact he has Mahomes passing to him as well is just unfair

Edited by Hunter2_1

3 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

In his own era, most people would take Kittle Straight up when healthy. Like to me Kittle’s 2018 Season surpasses Any season that Kelce has had 

This is a bold take that I'm not sure I agree with

I don't think Kittle's 18 even beat Kelce's 18

23 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Kelce actually played on a good team so he didn’t get to play a full 60 minutes every game. Definitely got benched against the Bengals and Raiders

2 hours ago, Saint_James said:

Kelce is great.  I think Kittle is a better tight end, the guy is a beast, but we'll just never know for sure as he's on a run-first team with mediocre quarterback play overall. 

So I agree with you that if Kelce stays health and on the Chiefs, yeah, he'll be smashing the record books for sure. 

Dude Kittle has durability issues and nowhere near the start to his career that Kelce has had. Not to mention Kelce solved that little question in the superbowl last year when he outplayed your boy. I don't know how George Kittle got so overhyped on here. Last year I was one of a few guys saying Kelce was better. Pretty much all of us KC fans. This dude has a realistic shot at finishing his career as the greatest TE to ever play the game, is smack dab in the middle of his prime... and we're talking about crackhead George Kittle??????

I think Kittle just has a more sort of relatable swagger to him. If he wasn't so overhyped and I wasn't a Chiefs fan who has seen how great Kelce has been since the day he showed up and subsequently how dominant he has been pretty much every single game, I'd be a big Kittle fan as well. But yeah, on the field production, it's not even close.The only knock on Kelce over the years has been a couple of boneheaded penalties but with age he's totally eliminated them from his game.

Edited by Kirill
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

He broke the all time TE receiving yardage record with dumpster fire Qb play and very little offensive talent around him. Teams knew he was the guy and couldn’t do crap to stop him. 

Edited by CP3MVP

43 minutes ago, Nightime said:

Kelce actually played on a good team so he didn’t get to play a full 60 minutes every game. Definitely got benched against the Bengals and Raiders

And yet he played more snaps than kittle that year. Playing time isn't something that can be used in kelces favor

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I think Travis Kelce is probably a hall of famer, but I can't find a way to justify him getting in and Jimmy Graham not getting in. Does Kelce being a pretty unanimous HOF candidate by this board mean Jimmy Graham is a HOFer too?

Graham hasn't been nearly as consistent as Kelce. But I fully expect him to be a finalist at least a couple of times when he becomes eligible. He has the 4th most TDs ever by a TE.

1 minute ago, Starless said:

Graham hasn't been nearly as consistent as Kelce. But I fully expect him to be a finalist at least a couple of times when he becomes eligible. He has the 4th most TDs ever by a TE.

He was also a negative when blocking. Not a huge thing for some, but could be something that docks him from others.