2020 Coaching Carousel Thread

JammerHammer21

11 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

SCAR goes with Shane Beamer. Wonder which SEC job Napier is holding out for at this point.

Maybe he wants Tennessee or Texas? EDIT: We should be able to get a feel for how good Beamer will be by the staff he pulls.

Edited by jrry32

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Maybe he wants Tennessee or Texas? EDIT: We should be able to get a feel for how good Beamer will be by the staff he pulls.

Can't see Texas going that route, even if Urban isn't who they get. Would think guys like Matt Campbell, Tom Allen, PJ Fleck, and others with P5 experience would be ahead.

1 minute ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Can't see Texas going that route, even if Urban isn't who they get. Would think guys like Matt Campbell, Tom Allen, PJ Fleck, and others with P5 experience would be ahead.

Maybe not. But it seems like he thinks he has better options than a mid-tier P5 job.

Just now, JammerHammer21 said:

He seems to claim he turned them down, but the SCAR 247 board seems skeptical he was actually offered? Feel like Chadwell would have been a great hire.

He turned them down. They may not have offered the job per se, but he wasn't interested in hearing them out. Both Chadwell and Beamer are boom/bust picks. Seems like the former players lobbied hard for Beamer. He apparently was the recruiting force behind Spurrier's peak run at SC (Alshon, Shaw, Lattimore, etc.).

• Like 1

Gonna be a lot of Hokies upset South Carolina got Shane. I'm sure a lot of SC fans aren't going to be happy. It's going to take a lot, but here's the deal imo.

Shane will need to get a good OC and DC, but he has the connections to do so. He's also a GREAT recruiter, and will work his butt off. I think this is an interesting hire, and honestly could pay off. 

On 12/5/2020 at 11:51 PM, JammerHammer21 said:

Listening to the radio on my way to work and they reported that Urbz would not entertain the thought of coaching again because of health reasons. 

They should be prepared to move on Matt Campbell should the Urban Meyer chase inevitably fall short. Although I’m somewhat dubious he’d take the job with Penn State and Michigan on the fritz, and Ryan Day supposedly flirting with the NFL. All things being equal I think he’d rather stay in the Midwest and of 2 of the 3 best jobs in the region have a better than average chance of opening up in next year or two, with the 3rd possibly having a chance as well (although admittedly I dunno how serious the Day-NFL stuff actually is). 

Then again, bird in hand and what not, and this particular bird would come with a hefty pay raise, so there’s that too.

46 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

They should be prepared to move on Matt Campbell should the Urban Meyer chase inevitably fall short. Although I’m somewhat dubious he’d take the job with Penn State and Michigan on the fritz, and Ryan Day supposedly flirting with the NFL. All things being equal I think he’d rather stay in the Midwest and of 2 of the 3 best jobs in the region have a better than average chance of opening up in next year or two, with the 3rd possibly having a chance as well (although admittedly I dunno how serious the Day-NFL stuff actually is). 

Then again, bird in hand and what not, and this particular bird would come with a hefty pay raise, so there’s that too.

Take Campbell. I want him nowhere near Penn State or Michigan.

54 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

And i have seen one or 2 references to it here about Day and the NFL, but haven't seen an actual article citing anything regarding him.

Edited by malibuspeedrace

39 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

And i have seen one or 2 references to it here about Day and the NFL, but haven't seen an actual article citing anything regarding him.

Like I said, I don’t know how serious that flirtation actually is, but I’ve just seent it mentioned on the ever reliable  internet a handful of times. 

Point being I could see him holding out for one of the aforementioned big 10 ten jobs if he thinks there’s a reasonable chance there will be an opening in the not too distance future.