The Ga❌e has been canceled

bucsfan333

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

OSU should forfeit against Michigan this week, that way they get to 5-1 and have the head to head win vs Indiana for the tiebreaker, because somehow not playing a game is worse than losing by this brilliant rule criteria.

Wait.. that would technically show a win against Ohio State on Haubaughs record and he'll get a lifetime extension.. DO NOT FORFEIT

There is going to be too much pressure on the decision makers for there not to be a tweak, in reality. Whether it’s them squeezing in an opponent against Ohio State this week or them just bending the 6 game rules. You have Fox with broadcasting rights of the Big Ten championship game, with all that money invested. They have no desire to have an Indiana versus Northwestern matchup and Ohio State playing on another network in a different game. There is also the shared revenue issue with the Big Ten programs, with them actually wanting Ohio State to have a shot in the playoffs. Not to say them not getting a chance to win the conference erases that, but if it’s a factor, there is still some vested interest there by all involved in the conference. So, yes, I would say that Ohio State being the program affected is a factor, but it comes down to simple revenue and/or viewership and not necessarily another form of favoritism. 

In reality, this is a dumb rule inputted by some dense individuals. If Ohio State went out there and played some random bad team this week and got blown out, they would get a chance to play for the Big Ten championship. If they didn’t play at all, they would not as it stands.

All in all, however this turns out, just another blemish to Kevin Warren and these athletic directors/presidents and how things went down this fall. No margin for error, not enough games, no ability to move matchups, backing the season up when winter seems to be the peak illness, etc. Wishy washy rules or reneging after imperative messages. Just so, so bad. I’m pissed off it’s Ohio state/Michigan to meet up not happening because it should happen on every season. This season is crap. Some games are better than no games, but this season is really a fragment of a typical year. It’s gross. 

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Lol it’s because we both know what OSU is. I’ve lived in Columbus my entire life. If you think the football team is corrupt, I could tell you stories about the university that would appall you.

Maybe we can exchange notes about our schools some time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

But yet you automatically took it as a slight at Ohio State, which happens every ******* time someone mentions them in any perceived negative way. I was speaking on the B1G the entire time and it should've been obvious when I said they might as well tell everyone else they don't matter. I never said anything about Ohio State being the issue. They are the benefactor based on who they are but this whole interaction was about the B1G.

15 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I don't know, fellas. I'm sorry if I pissed y'all off for whatever reason but my issue is with the bull**** being pulled by the B1G and how predictable it all was. Just a bad look.

I'm with you on 90% of what you've said and have no issues in a vacuum with this. However, you lost me here, as there's a definite "twist the knife in" jab that has nothing to do with this game being canceled, the B1G Title Game, the rules, etc.:

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

If they do change the rules and you guys go get embarrassed by Alabama or Clemson, just note it did more harm than good.

Before this, I didn't make it about the playoff, and we were on the same page:

16 hours ago, MWil23 said:
17 hours ago, beekay414 said:

LIS, the B1G has no credibility at this point if they do it.

They haven’t had any credibility at all in 2020. 

Then you came in with your "The B1G is TMZ" and that jab about the playoffs. So, if you didn't want to make it personal, then you really went out of your way about the point at hand in order to do so.

The reality is, this season was doomed from the beginning, and it's 100% on the B1G as a conference. They've switched back and forth on their own rules multiple times, and it's an absolute you-know-what show and has been all season. They've gone from:

No Football at all! Cardiomyopathy!

to

Let's play conference only games in a few weeks! I know that we haven't seen any data to suggest that long term cardiomyopathy isn't a thing with these athletes, but we need to make money and we look terrible with everyone else playing football. We know that we aren't giving ourselves any wiggle room, and are actually really stupid for moving the season back further into a pandemic, during flu season and the incoming third wave, but that's what we're doing and sticking to it.

to

No Nebraska, you can't play any non-conference games!

to

You have to play 6 games to qualify! Sorry, it makes more sense to be 5-1 than 5-0.

to

Barry Alvarez saying that they'd need to revisit the 6 game rule last week in light of what everyone could see coming with this

to

The B1G painting themselves into a corner and wondering "HOW DID THIS HAPPEN???? WHO COULD POSSIBLY HAVE SEEN THIS COMING?!?!?!?!" when anyone with a pulse, as we've all said all season, saw this coming back in AUGUST.

TL;DR

@beekay414 I'm sorry if I misperceived what you were saying and took it personally, but when you make it about the playoff above/take a shot at getting blown out on a national stage, when I was never making it about the playoff, but rather disgusted at everything above in what I've been saying all along with logical fallacies that this conference has taken, that in and of itself was the source of my frustration.

@MWil23 But the only reason they are doing this is because the playoff bid is at stake. That's why the playoffs was brought into it. If the B1G had no shot at the CFP bid, they wouldn't be bending/changing the rules. Otherwise, they would've done it for any team that didn't hit the 6 game threshold that had/has a shot at the B1G Championship. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

And, my man, it wasn't a shot at Ohio State when I brought up the potential CFP playoff loss. It was the reality of the situation. Change/amend the rules to get a team in and then that team gets mollywhopped in the CFP is a bad look regardless of what helmet they wear. 

21 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

@MWil23 But the only reason they are doing this is because the playoff bid is at stake. That's why the playoffs was brought into it. If the B1G had no shot at the CFP bid, they wouldn't be bending/changing the rules. Otherwise, they would've done it for any team that didn't hit the 6 game threshold that had/has a shot at the B1G Championship. 

My point is, my frustration has 100% to do with The Game being canceled, that anyone with a pulse could see this coming, that the B1G has royally crapped the bed once again, etc. It has very little if anything to do with the Playoff. What type of logic does it take to leave out a 5-0 team with a head to head win over a 5-1 team when OSU could have lost by 200 points to UM this weekend and still made the B1G Championship next week?

Or, here's an idea:

Play Northwestern in the B1G Championship game THIS week, and then OSU plays UM next week and Northwestern plays Illinois next week.

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And, my man, it wasn't a shot at Ohio State when I brought up the potential CFP playoff loss. It was the reality of the situation. Change/amend the rules to get a team in and then that team gets mollywhopped in the CFP is a bad look regardless of what helmet they wear. 

That's fair, and I'm sorry for reacting that way.

IMO it's Alabama's title to lose and likely Clemson as a close 2nd if they're at full strength. 5-6 games and not having the opportunity to find a rhythm or get the kinks out (see: Alabama's first 5 games) isn't exactly equitable anyway, and I blame the NCAA as a governing body (I laughed too at the "governing body" phrase) for not stepping in with universal guidelines/mandates and passing the buck to conferences and institutions. It's the same thing OHSAA did with fall sports back in July here in Ohio for HS athletes. Total garbage and chicken you-know-what move.

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

@MWil23 I get it, man. Nobody wins in this situation. Well, nobody except the B1G because they walked backassward into money but you get the point. 

This whole season has been a joke. The fact that HS coaches, athletes, and schools could figure this out and use better protocols than conferences with literally billions of times more resources at their disposal is a complete meme.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30483665/sources-big-ten-expected-change-6-game-rule

Figured it was heading this way, it just stinks that there will be another canceled game for this Saturday. With the rules being changed, I think that shows there is no match up for this Saturday again because of an opponent canceling.This was the obvious move given how horribly structured this whole thing was in the Big Ten. Still, another blackeye on the conference’s handling of everything when you look at this thing from a bird’s eye view. A dumb rule and a dumb handling of everything basically put the conference in a no-win situation.