Higgins & Browns begin extension talk

buno67

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

These things are true.

other than the parts that aren’t, yes.

OBJ has played like 20 games with Chubb.

However I would not be mad either way if they decided to keep him or trade him. I see benefits both ways. I just ask if they do trade him, not to give him away for pennies on the dollar.

I mean, teams typically trade a player for maximum value with few exceptions (like not trading with a division or conference).

If you only get pennies, that’s typically what the market value is at that time.

The Browns traded a 1st, 3rd, Kevin Zeitler and Jabril Peppers (who is playing at a pro bowl level this year) for Odell. That is a HAUL.

Sunken cost is irrelevant to future value.

I dont want to just give him away because he doesnt fit this team for a 2nd rounder. Id rather keep him and try and make it work if we cant get fair value in return.

Lol I’d be surprised if we got a 2.

He’s an often injured WR coming off an ACL tear who some feel had diva tendencies that hasn’t put up elite numbers since 2016 and is due 15 million a year.  I’m not sure what you expect, but I’d take a 2nd right now tbh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

As someone who never really liked the OBJ trade from the start, I still must correct a couple things with this post:

1. We traded all that away, but we received both OBJ and Vernon (not just OBJ).
  2. Peppers is not playing at a pro bowl level.

Forgot about Vernon so take Zeitler out of it--the Browns still gave up 1st, 3rd and Peppers. Flipping OBJ at this point for a 2nd would be a massive letdown. 

Peppers is ballling. He has 24 tackles, 4 TFLs, 2 SCK, 2 QBH and 7 PBUs in his last four games. NY Media is all over him right now about how well he is playing,

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Forgot about Vernon so take Zeitler out of it--the Browns still gave up 1st, 3rd and Peppers. Flipping OBJ at this point for a 2nd would be a massive letdown. 

Peppers is ballling. He has 24 tackles, 4 TFLs, 2 SCK, 2 QBH and 7 PBUs in his last four games. NY Media is all over him right now about how well he is playing,

Peppers is on the same Statistical pace that he was his 2 years in Cleveland......

And also who would you rather have right now.....Zeitler or Wyatt "The Somersault" Teller? 

Just now, DaWg_LB. said:

Peppers is on the same Statistical pace that he was his 2 years in Cleveland......

And also who would you rather have right now.....Zeitler or Wyatt "The Somersault" Teller? 

I never thought Peppers was bad in the first place. As much as people around here love themselves some Ronnie Harrison I think Peppers was just as good if not better than him. I just have another feeling Peppers will be another Ogbah where it took them a little longer to break out.

• Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I never thought Peppers was bad in the first place. As much as people around here love themselves some Ronnie Harrison I think Peppers was just as good if not better than him. I just have another feeling Peppers will be another Ogbah where it took them a little longer to break out.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I still think peppers isn’t all that great in coverage and still takes piss poor angles when on pursuit. His only elite attribute IMO is his blitz ability.

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

I still think peppers isn’t all that great in coverage and still takes piss poor angles when on pursuit. His only elite attribute IMO is his blitz ability.

I just think hes the type of safety where he needs to be used correctly and play to his strengths, there is a lot of them out there in the same way certain corners are either Slot or Outside guys. If you make a slot CB try to play the boundary then they are going to look bad and vise versa. Same with safetys. If you ask Peppers to be a box safety in short areas much like TJ Ward I think he can be really good. If you ask him to be a cover safety he is going to be bad.

Make no mistake, I never thought Peppers was bad. He's a solid NFL starting safety, and an ideal box guy. He's subpar in coverage, and he's basically a durable and much better version of Karl Joseph. He's best suited as a hybrid LB/S in a 3 safety and big nickel type scheme.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I just think hes the type of safety where he needs to be used correctly and play to his strengths, there is a lot of them out there in the same way certain corners are either Slot or Outside guys. If you make a slot CB try to play the boundary then they are going to look bad and vise versa. Same with safetys. If you ask Peppers to be a box safety in short areas much like TJ Ward I think he can be really good. If you ask him to be a cover safety he is going to be bad.

Yeah he’s always been a box safety.  It’s what made Gregggg using him as a FS 25 yards off the LOS so infuriating.  Like, casual fans can see how to use this guy but the coach thinks he’s gonna outsmart everyone.

All you do is delay any potential development.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Make no mistake, I never thought Peppers was bad. He's a solid NFL starting safety, and an ideal box guy. He's subpar in coverage, and he's basically a durable and much better version of Karl Joseph. He's best suited as a hybrid LB/S in a 3 safety and big nickel type scheme.

Yep, and has been, clear as day, from day 1.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep, and has been, clear as day, from day 1.

TBH, and I'm not even saying this as a "hater", I thought it was abundantly clear at UM. They moved him to LB his Junior year because of his value as a tackler/athlete...and absolutely just as much because of how bad he was in coverage, aside from maybe a TE.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

TBH, and I'm not even saying this as a "hater", I thought it was abundantly clear at UM. They moved him to LB his Junior year because of his value as a tackler/athlete...and absolutely just as much because of how bad he was in coverage, aside from maybe a TE.

Oh I agree. I just don’t understand why some coaches feel the need to try to goof with this stuff.

A guy with his skill set is a valued commodity.  Box safety on run downs, linebacker on passing downs, punt returner, etc.  just do that.  

Oh I agree. I just don’t understand why some coaches feel the need to try to goof with this stuff.

To be the smartest guy in the room and the one with the most bravado.

A guy with his skill set is a valued commodity.  Box safety on run downs, linebacker on passing downs, punt returner, etc.  just do that.  

He's ideally suited as a 4 down player as exactly that. He's basically your full time slot/box S, then you bump him to WLB/SLB on 3rd Down, and use him to cover TE, blitz, or as a run fitter on shorter yardage. Then on 4th down, he moves back to field punts.

20 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not sure how much he will have progressed with the offense while hurt.

Baker has been night and day difference without him. I’m not sure what more there is to see.

its not necessarily about him progressing, its about the offense and baker progressing.

Its also about an off season of working with baker and getting some things taken care of.

From what I can tell, Baker is best running a quick passing offense with quick decisions and relies on his receivers to be where he expects them to.

He is great at back shoulder fades and hitting receivers out of their breaks.

Again this is just what I'm seeing but Odell is more liberal with his routes.  He does get open but he goes about it in a less calculated way in more of a how it feels way.

He honestly would be perfect in a system with deep balls and longer developing routes.  I think he is a great fit for Houston with Watson.

The question is, are we looking to trade him or just cut him? there is little value cutting him for us and there is also little value trading him during a major knee injury.

I don't expect them to do anything until the trade deadline next year at the earliest.