Higgins & Browns begin extension talk

buno67

48 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And if Baker keeps balling, I can’t see OBJ coming back.

I hope he does. He almost single handily won us the Dallas game. It looked like he was finally getting on the same book with baker. I want him back for another year. He’s got so much talent I don’t want to let that go. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Higgins has 2 more receptions and 81 more yards on 9 fewer targets than OBJ.

Granted he doesn't get the same attention but that will always be the case and he is more productive.

I'm really just hoping that he realizes, which I think he must considering what he signed for this year, that his chemistry with Baker is his greatest asset, and signs a relatively team friendly deal.

1 hour ago, kayelcio said:

I'm really just hoping that he realizes, which I think he must considering what he signed for this year, that his chemistry with Baker is his greatest asset, and signs a relatively team friendly deal.

Well, hopefully other teams bank on his success being chemistry with Baker. There was no interest in him last off season.

I guess I am failing to understand the OBJ targets talk going on. He averaged 7 targets a game, not counting game 7 where he got hurt the first play of the game. That would put him on pace for 112 targets in a 16 game season. The offense isn't clicking because OBJ isnt on the field, they are clicking because it takes time to learn a new offense, to trust the offense, and having OBJ at this point of the season would only enhance the ability of this team to be dominant offensively. I definitely do think that Berry and Co. sit down with OBJ, along with a few other key players, and work out some sort of restructured contract to open up some additional salary cap. I don't know, I just don't agree with people that feel we are better without him. I have no doubt that if he were healthy right now, we would be a better team overall, and I don't think Baker would be trying to "force" feed him the football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I guess I am failing to understand the OBJ targets talk going on. He averaged 7 targets a game, not counting game 7 where he got hurt the first play of the game. That would put him on pace for 112 targets in a 16 game season. The offense isn't clicking because OBJ isnt on the field, they are clicking because it takes time to learn a new offense, to trust the offense, and having OBJ at this point of the season would only enhance the ability of this team to be dominant offensively. I definitely do think that Berry and Co. sit down with OBJ, along with a few other key players, and work out some sort of restructured contract to open up some additional salary cap. I don't know, I just don't agree with people that feel we are better without him. I have no doubt that if he were healthy right now, we would be a better team overall, and I don't think Baker would be trying to "force" feed him the football. 

I respect your post and see your point. I have never been on OBJ train. 

Objectively Baker has been better without OBJ all of his rookie season compares to hsi second season and then pre and post OBJ in 2020. It isnt even close, his passer rating is probably 15 points better without beckham. 

That said it isnt the whole story  the difference between kevin and Freddie is obviously huge. There is a lot around the situation that has to be considered, what we can say it that it flat out hasn't worked between obj and Baker. 

It doesnt mean it cant work next year, but something needs to change. And maybe it has with Baker becoming the leader fo the team. 

6 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I guess I am failing to understand the OBJ targets talk going on. He averaged 7 targets a game, not counting game 7 where he got hurt the first play of the game. That would put him on pace for 112 targets in a 16 game season. The offense isn't clicking because OBJ isnt on the field, they are clicking because it takes time to learn a new offense, to trust the offense, and having OBJ at this point of the season would only enhance the ability of this team to be dominant offensively.

I mean, Baker threw 5 TD passes the game he was hurt.  Maybe it was entirely coincidental that the offense just started clicking at that moment.

Of course Baker played significantly better without him in 2018 too.

It was an immediate switch that was flipped back to the player he was that had all of our balls tingling in 2018, and he’s been that guy since (with the exception of the games played in hurricanes and monsoons).

I definitely do think that Berry and Co. sit down with OBJ, along with a few other key players, and work out some sort of restructured contract to open up some additional salary cap.

Yeah, for him to be here next year that number has to come down significantly imo.  He’s not a 15 million dollar a year player any more tbh.

I don't know, I just don't agree with people that feel we are better without him.

Saying Baker is better without OBJ isn’t an opinion.  It’s a statistical fact.

I have no doubt that if he were healthy right now, we would be a better team overall,

“if he were healthy”... I feel like folks have been saying that forever.  Def said it last season.  Didn’t play the full year the in ‘18.  Or ‘17.

Of course he could bounce back and be better after the ACL and the injuries might just stop when he’s a year older.

and I don't think Baker would be trying to "force" feed him the football. 

Based on what?  He’s done it pretty much constantly since he’s been here.  He’s consistently gotten more targets than his production should warrant. 

• Like 1

As far as the Dallas game, he was great, no doubt, but let’s not gloss over the facts.

He scored on a fake reverse pass from Jarvis and an incredible reverse (in addition to another receiving TD).  I don’t know if gimmicky is the right word, but those plays aren’t necessarily repeatable.  Not consistently anyway.  

He made plays, but Stefanski had to use every trick in the book for it to happen because OBJ is not able to go out and get open and make plays in a traditional manner with Baker throwing him the ball.  He has like 6 TD’s in 20 games with Baker.  That’s the definition of average for a starting WR. And it’s not like he’s killing teams between the 20’s either.

And this incredible game also game against the team who allows the most PPG in the league.  They allow 3 more PPG than the next closest team even.  That’s the same spread as the next 10 teams btw.  They’re not just “not a good defense” they’re far and away the worst in the league thus far.

For a guy to make 15 million a year at WR they need to be able to go out and consistently win 1:1 and occasionally win against double coverage.  They need to be elevating the play of the QB, not hindering him (even if it’s not his fault).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

I would rather have 3 1000 yard receivers then 2

Just remember OBJ did not get the huge benefit of playing with Chubb.

We need OBJ to beat somebody like KC on there home field.

These things are true. However I would not be mad either way if they decided to keep him or trade him. I see benefits both ways. I just ask if they do trade him, not to give him away for pennies on the dollar.

The Browns traded a 1st, 3rd, Kevin Zeitler and Jabril Peppers (who is playing at a pro bowl level this year) for Odell. That is a HAUL. 

I dont want to just give him away because he doesnt fit this team for a 2nd rounder. Id rather keep him and try and make it work if we cant get fair value in return.

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

These things are true. However I would not be mad either way if they decided to keep him or trade him. I see benefits both ways. I just ask if they do trade him, not to give him away for pennies on the dollar.

The Browns traded a 1st, 3rd, Kevin Zeitler and Jabril Peppers (who is playing at a pro bowl level this year) for Odell. That is a HAUL. 

I dont want to just give him away because he doesnt fit this team for a 2nd rounder. Id rather keep him and try and make it work if we cant get fair value in return.

As someone who never really liked the OBJ trade from the start, I still must correct a couple things with this post:

1. We traded all that away, but we received both OBJ and Vernon (not just OBJ).
  2. Peppers is not playing at a pro bowl level.

• Like 1