Week 14: Washington at San Fran

turtle28

Epic win!

I think it will give them a lot of tape to work on.  The defense was great and bad.  That zone coverage was a disaster and at the same time 49ers exposed our run defense.

They opened up the offense during the first half, but Alex Smith couldn't throw the ball accurately.

I thought Haskins was just fine.  I am not sure what people expected.  Rivera said in the press conference that he essentially hasn't been taking any reps with first team.  Scott Turner didn't help him out that much either.  Neither did the field position.  In reality, he played better than Smith.

I just hope that even if Smith is good to go, they start giving him some more reps in case Smith cramps up again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Scott Turner was terrified to call any plays that may have more than 1 progression when Haskins came in. It was tough to watch. The whole operation is just smoother when Smith is in. Even when he was playing poorly.

Haskins had no favors done for him with the drops.  That could also be on him, because one of the things he needs to work on are touch passes.  He has one speed, which is great for getting the ball downfield, not so much when you've got a guy on a short crossing route.  He also may have been with a depleted McLaurin, who has battled injuries through most of the season and was seen limping off at one point, so he may have been a decoy for the second half.  Either way, hard to get a read on Haskins if McLaurin was indeed limited.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4209 said:

"I really had no idea what was going on.
Image getting on a plane and the pilot tell you this 😱

See, people are going to dissect that every which way.  

We just walked off the field less than an hour after that tweet was posted.  Emotions are running high after any game, but definitely a close win- against the Super Bowl runner-ups and a guy with an ax to grind against the franchise.  Could it have been he had no idea what happened to Alex?  

I was on the golf team in high school and was the only senior and the coach was going with younger guys, so I wasn't one of the six playing.  They pulled me out of my class 15 minutes before school ended and said I was playing because someone didn't have all of their paperwork in order.  I rushed home, grabbed my clubs, rushed to the golf course and had no time to warm up- the rest of the team never got there, and I had to go off in the first grouping (the best players......which I did part of the previous year but I digress) because otherwise it was a forfeit.  I took the tee and did the best I could.  There literally wasn't anything else to do.  

• Like 1

At some point this week, they’re going to have to think long and hard about the idea of just sitting Smith and McLaurin (and maybe Moses and Scherff if they’re also banged up) and essentially punting the Seattle game for all intents and purposes. 

I don’t really like the idea, but they really need to make sure they’re fully ready for the Carolina and Philly games that they *must* win. “Sacrificing” a game that they’ll be very much favored to lose anyway, in order to maximize the chances that they can be at full speed for the two very winnable games? Might be the better choice.

That said, I assume there’s 0% chance Rivera does that.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Those wanting draft positioning and losses. Keep it up through the Super Bowl. It seems to be working. Theyre fueled by your tears. 😆

That ship has sailed. Now we can look forward to hosting a wildcard weekend loss in early January. Either that or a choke job in week 17.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

At some point this week, they’re going to have to think long and hard about the idea of just sitting Smith and McLaurin (and maybe Moses and Scherff if they’re also banged up) and essentially punting the Seattle game for all intents and purposes. 

I don’t really like the idea, but they really need to make sure they’re fully ready for the Carolina and Philly games that they *must* win. “Sacrificing” a game that they’ll be very much favored to lose anyway, in order to maximize the chances that they can be at full speed for the two very winnable games? Might be the better choice.

If Washington was the 4PM or SNF game, then maybe they would do that. However, I don't think they do that blindly with the Giants playing on Sunday Night.

16 minutes ago, e16bball said:

When was the last time a we used logic making decisions for this franchise?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woz said:

That ship has sailed. Now we can look forward to hosting a wildcard weekend loss in early January. Either that or a choke job in week 17.

Normally I’d agree but when you have a defense playing like this it can carry you a long way. Now don’t come after me Woz lol. I still think a first round exit is the most likely outcome if we make the playoffs but it’s different when you have a great defense and Carlos Rogers isn’t available to drop a sure pick-six. 

34 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Interesting thought.  Smith having any issues with that leg is certainly an issue and I think we should be cautious and also want to get Haskins coached up.

I certainly think the seattle game is the least likely one for us to win.  But in addition to Smith, if there is anyone I would rest another week and not even check on it would be Gibson.  

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Normally I’d agree but when you have a defense playing like this it can carry you a long way. Now don’t come after me Woz lol. I still think a first round exit is the most likely outcome if we make the playoffs but it’s different when you have a great defense and Carlos Rogers isn’t available to drop a sure pick-six. 

Honestly, they could maybe steal a failure-to-lose in the ayoffplays with the way the defense has been playing.

If they had been giving time to guys like Holcomb and Reaves earlier, they may have even built for the future and beyond.

And yet...

• Like 1