2018 NFL Draft Prospects - picks and draft board pg 1

WizardHawk

Depending on what happens in FA we may be able to pass over 1 or 2 positions we need or want in the draft. First and foremost I think would be WR. There are some underachievers and players who can come at value for us. Personally I hope we could get someone like Sammy Watkins for cheap. Or cheaper then normal No.2 money. Plus I think he has just been underutilized. 

Same goes for the secondary. Granted I wouldn't go for a CB considering they are viewed as a cornerstone position and demand outrageous salaries. But someone like Kenny Vaccaro who I have still have been on the bandwagon to get to solidify our back safeties and help provide depth with either Woods or Jones stepping down. Plus there are a few other guys we can go after. Although there are so many CB's that are set to hit the market, we may find one who can be servicable although I wont hold out hope.

Even DL might be an option to find depth or even a starter. Granted JG and SJ obvious game plan for this have been getting guys on the cheap, cheap. But still it's something to think about. 

Personally I think the main goals, if we do address some of what we need through FA, should be Lee's replacement and/or LB in general. OT, RB and TE. 

OT- Personally I am not sold on Collins like some are. And either way, Green and Bell showed us we need a capable rotating tackle for both positions, or a guy who can start RT and can switch to LT.

RB- This draft has a crazy amount of depth for the RB position. Going after Guice, or Michel, doubtful they fall to round 3, but if they should. Or maybe a guy like Chubb falls, someone to compliment Zeke as a 3rd down option who can also carry the ball 30 times a game. Would do wonders for us. 

And TE obviously. Hayden, Andrews, Gesieki, and others, or who knows maybe picking up 2 to bring back the two TE set to this offense. 

These 3 positions I don't think we will be able to address in FA. Even if we were to get Jimmy Graham, he would be a bad fit in this offense as evident by the Seattle situation. 

39 minutes ago, TheFinisher said:

I like Equanimeous St. Brown from Notre Dame, we need someone who can threaten the defense over the top in the worst way.  Without that, defenses are just sitting on everything and can play underneath... get someone, anyone that can open up the field.

This is the WR I'm hoping Dallas can grab. Draft defense with your high 1st rounder (Roquan or Derwin), then trade up into the late 20's using your 2nd rounder to grab St. Brown.   

4 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

This is the WR I'm hoping Dallas can grab. Draft defense with your high 1st rounder (Roquan or Derwin), then trade up into the late 20's using your 2nd rounder to grab St. Brown.   

Using our second and what else? Another first from next year for a receiver with questionable hands? A third and fourth? Got to give up a lot to get back into the mid  to late first from the mid to late second.

No trading up this year either, its very unlikely. Only way I see this team doing so is if its into the top 10 to grab a game changer. And there honestly isnt too many game changers out there this year. Good players, yeah. But dont confuse "best at their position this year" with "worth trading lots of picks for" ... this draft doesnt look like there is that Myles Garrett, Joey Bosa, Jadeveon Clowney game changer out there at all.

And outside of a player like that, I would, and im sure this team would, rather keep their picks and take more shots later on at finding a diamond buried someplace later in the draft.

8 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Using our second and what else? Another first from next year for a receiver with questionable hands? A third and fourth? Got to give up a lot to get back into the mid  to late first from the mid to late second.

No trading up this year either, its very unlikely. Only way I see this team doing so is if its into the top 10 to grab a game changer. And there honestly isnt too many game changers out there this year. Good players, yeah. But dont confuse "best at their position this year" with "worth trading lots of picks for" ... this draft doesnt look like there is that Myles Garrett, Joey Bosa, Jadeveon Clowney game changer out there at all.

And outside of a player like that, I would, and im sure this team would, rather keep their picks and take more shots later on at finding a diamond buried someplace later in the draft.

I don't think the Cowboys will have a mid-late second round pick, I think they'll finish with a top 10 pick (6-10 record). Combine that with this being the first year teams can trade comp picks and Dallas can make some moves in this draft. As for game changers, I think Derwin, Roquan, Ridley and Nelson are game changers.

As for St. Brown, is his hands the only thing you hate about his game? If Roquan and Derwin are gone, I hope the Cowboys seriously consider taking Calvin Ridley in the 1st. Having a player of Ridley's caliber (speed, great route running and excellent hands) next to Dez and Elliott in the backfield would really get this offense rolling again.

My dream is that more physically imposing linebackers like Evans and Jefferson push Roquan down to the second half of the first round. We could trade back and still get him. It’s possible teams will be scared off because of his size, similar to how Lavonte David fell out of the first round.

12 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

I don't think the Cowboys will have a mid-late second round pick, I think they'll finish with a top 10 pick (6-10 record). Combine that with this being the first year teams can trade comp picks and Dallas can make some moves in this draft. As for game changers, I think Derwin, Roquan, Ridley and Nelson are game changers.

As for St. Brown, is his hands the only thing you hate about his game? If Roquan and Derwin are gone, I hope the Cowboys seriously consider taking Calvin Ridley in the 1st. Having a player of Ridley's caliber (speed, great route running and excellent hands) next to Dez and Elliott in the backfield would really get this offense rolling again.

I played and coached (as an graduate assistant only) at ND so thats the one team I keep the closest tabs on. And Eq St Brown is about the equiv of Ted Ginn in a lot of ways, or Kenny Stills.

Explosive off the line with speed to burn down the sideline or split he safeties, but like the two guys I mentiones, I dont think he is going to catch many balls in the pros. He is unreliable when trying to secure a catch, and in the Nfl, those windows are even tighter and you need to secure it firm and bring it to your body quickly...else you end up dropping a lot or giving up picks. And if thats the case, you may as well draft some big doof to run up the sideline and at least try to leap and secure it over a smaller DBs head. You wont get that from St Brown, he doesnt play that way.

As for Dallas having a top 10 pick...unlikely. Even if they take 7-9 or what I feel will be 8-8, youre still looking at a mid pick. And coming from 2nd round pick 12 even to be generous, to round 1 pick 25, is still a costly jump. Especially for a team with so many holes and lack of depth.

This is not a team a player away. Our depth chart is week and injuries will always happen in this sport. Look how when Phillys LT went down, Vaitai steps in and is kicking butt all the same. Because they built depth. Like Parcells once said, the guys at the top of the depth chart, they will win you games. but to win championships, you need to worry about the guys behind them. And its 100% true. This team isnt floundering its season because its top players arent good. Its floundering it because the players behind them arent very good.

At some point you have to hit on those late picks and not worry about the top end draft positions that make.or break your franchise in terms of hit or miss, but those roleplayers who can hold a spot for a bit, play a role, contribute, and probably never make much a name forn themselves outside of a key play or key drive in a big game - David Tyree, Heath Evans, Dion Lewis,  Malcolm Butler, etc. 

Ill keep my comp picks, and Ill draft football players, and build some depth. In real football (not videogameland) you need that depth, because a handful of 88 overalls doesnt mean anything in the NFL. Got to build up that roster, fill voids, and make sure when Lee gets hurt, or Zeke smacks up his woman, or Dez dropkicks a ref for saying throw up the X is stupid, you have someone who can slide into a small role and let you keep playing good football.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

My dream is that more physically imposing linebackers like Evans and Jefferson push Roquan down to the second half of the first round. We could trade back and still get him. It’s possible teams will be scared off because of his size, similar to how Lavonte David fell out of the first round.

It would be really nice to get Derwin early then trade back in for Roquan. Off the ball 4-3 LBs fall all the time and it looks like there are more 1st round prospects at that position than usual as well.

Derwin and Roquan would go a long way to fixing our back end. Both of them would add a lot of speed and tackling ability. But that's a pipe dream

Would we play Roquan in the middle? And move Smith to Sam? Lee is unreliable but the team obviously loves him and he is top 5 in the league when healthy. Maybe when Lee is done Smith will be ready to take the Mike and Roquan can go to the Will. It's a good problem to have but there is really only two LB spots for grabs. And you want your 1st round picks to play. And you want Lee to play if healthy. And you know the team is hoping for a big leap from Jaylon and for him to play. What's the thought process with this?

Derwin obviously would immediately start next to Byron. And immediately be our best DB.

22 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I think if anything this helps Smith's case to be taken high. With how athletic TE's are getting and WR's getting bigger, guys like David and Smith are at a premium.If a smaller guy who struggled at the point of attack like Darron Lee or Ryan Shazier can go high, Smith (who doesn't struggle physically) will be a high pick.

I havent studied any of this class's LBs yet - I will, but right now, NFL seasons still in swing so no time and why bother as of yet?

But I am sure some of you have so some questions for those who have.

Are there any PLAYMAKER linebackers out there? This team has tried several times to get one and just missed out (Shazier, Thompson, Barr, even in drafting Smith). Im not talking about the runner chasing hole plugging types, but the ones with the ability to make a play on the ball in coverage and rush effectively as well as tackle a runner?

Of those guys able to make a play for the ball, if any, which of them have the range to play the deep and mid zones in this defensive coverage style?

And finally, are they more slated to your opinion of top 10 Luke Kuechly status or more early 20s Shazier status?

Archived