Jump to content

Official 2021 Off Ball Linebacker Thread


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Counselor said:

One thing that concerns me with JOK is he has two games with just one tackle and another with zero, and none with double digits. For a guy with that athleticism and ability to fly all over the field I would expect more. Maybe I’m just not aware of the defensive scheme and someone can point to me as why this is the case? Maybe those were just some of those games. Parsons has two career games with 1 tackle as well so maybe I’m thinking too much into it. But Parsons also has multiple double digit tackle games. And I know tackle numbers can be situational but does it speak to the instincts of a player?

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, I do not really care about the games where he does not have tackles.  I have not watched every snap he took this year but I would not be surprised if he simply did not play much those games possibly or was avoided by the offense which is very likely.  Not sure if one can get a snap count or play count of the season but with the pandemic going on I would not be surprised if he was out a few games or did not play as much as normal.  

Either way what he can do in space is impressive and very needed in football today, a linebacker who can be forceful on all these little quick screens and QB RPO plays.  He is strong enough to get off blocks and finish tackles where a corner might not be able to.  He can get after the QB and finish plays and is great in space.  Sure is more of a safety or slot corner than linebacker but that kind of versatility will be wanted by a team in the NFL in the 1st round I think.

He has been put more in coverage I think this year compared to last year where he had 8.5 sacks which is super impressive.  He is a run and hit linebacker though and with the right D coordinator he could do quite well.  Ossai on Texas also is a lot less productive this season than last season which is possibly more of an issue than Owusu-Koramoah possibly.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, I do not really care about the games where he does not have tackles.  I have not watched every snap he took this year but I would not be surprised if he simply did not play much those games possibly or was avoided by the offense which is very likely.  Not sure if one can get a snap count or play count of the season but with the pandemic going on I would not be surprised if he was out a few games or did not play as much as normal.  

Either way what he can do in space is impressive and very needed in football today, a linebacker who can be forceful on all these little quick screens and QB RPO plays.  He is strong enough to get off blocks and finish tackles where a corner might not be able to.  He can get after the QB and finish plays and is great in space.  Sure is more of a safety or slot corner than linebacker but that kind of versatility will be wanted by a team in the NFL in the 1st round I think.

He has been put more in coverage I think this year compared to last year where he had 8.5 sacks which is super impressive.  He is a run and hit linebacker though and with the right D coordinator he could do quite well.  Ossai on Texas also is a lot less productive this season than last season which is possibly more of an issue than Owusu-Koramoah possibly.  

Pretty sure he had 5.5 sacks last season. Still good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Pretty sure he had 5.5 sacks last season. Still good.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4258599/jeremiah-owusu-koramoah

 

This has him at 8.5, he got 3 in the bowl game so the 5.5 becomes 8.5.  

 

Ossai had 3 in the bowl game in 2019 so that is a little deceptive, and had 3 in one game this year against Ok State who has a suspect OL just looking at how Hubbard's production dropped.  So his sack production could be a little deceptive but I doubt he is a 4/3 DE anywhere which is almost where they had him play which is odd.  Not sure he would be a good 3/4 OLB but who knows, seems a little skinny for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4258599/jeremiah-owusu-koramoah

 

This has him at 8.5, he got 3 in the bowl game so the 5.5 becomes 8.5.  

 

Ossai had 3 in the bowl game in 2019 so that is a little deceptive, and had 3 in one game this year against Ok State who has a suspect OL just looking at how Hubbard's production dropped.  So his sack production could be a little deceptive but I doubt he is a 4/3 DE anywhere which is almost where they had him play which is odd.  Not sure he would be a good 3/4 OLB but who knows, seems a little skinny for that.

Does college football reference not include bowl game stats?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4258599/jeremiah-owusu-koramoah

 

This has him at 8.5, he got 3 in the bowl game so the 5.5 becomes 8.5.  

 

Ossai had 3 in the bowl game in 2019 so that is a little deceptive, and had 3 in one game this year against Ok State who has a suspect OL just looking at how Hubbard's production dropped.  So his sack production could be a little deceptive but I doubt he is a 4/3 DE anywhere which is almost where they had him play which is odd.  Not sure he would be a good 3/4 OLB but who knows, seems a little skinny for that.

Iowa State doesn’t have some great line either. These are two different players with two different builds 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Werner as BUCK ILB in a 3-4? How do you think he'll test?

Despite his lack of athleticism, Werner is at his best in space. He's excellent at setting the edge in the run game and using his smarts and length to disrupt passing concepts in zone drops. I think he's ideally fit to play in space for a team that stays in zone primarily. He can't cover in man, but boy can the dude disrupt concepts in zone.

I don't think Werner is going to test well at all. Will it be undraftable numbers? No, but I think the combine won't do him any favors. I hope I'm wrong because I love his game, but I have a feeling his numbers are going to look like 4.8ish in the 40 and then even worse in the 3-cone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QBIso said:

Despite his lack of athleticism, Werner is at his best in space. He's excellent at setting the edge in the run game and using his smarts and length to disrupt passing concepts in zone drops. I think he's ideally fit to play in space for a team that stays in zone primarily. He can't cover in man, but boy can the dude disrupt concepts in zone.

I don't think Werner is going to test well at all. Will it be undraftable numbers? No, but I think the combine won't do him any favors. I hope I'm wrong because I love his game, but I have a feeling his numbers are going to look like 4.8ish in the 40 and then even worse in the 3-cone.

He seems to be a good fit as a developmental LB next to Devin Bush for the Steelers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 11:32 AM, QBIso said:

Despite his lack of athleticism, Werner is at his best in space. He's excellent at setting the edge in the run game and using his smarts and length to disrupt passing concepts in zone drops. I think he's ideally fit to play in space for a team that stays in zone primarily. He can't cover in man, but boy can the dude disrupt concepts in zone.

I don't think Werner is going to test well at all. Will it be undraftable numbers? No, but I think the combine won't do him any favors. I hope I'm wrong because I love his game, but I have a feeling his numbers are going to look like 4.8ish in the 40 and then even worse in the 3-cone.

FWIW, players and coaches have raved about Werner's athleticism for years. It's basically the one thing they always bring up with him; he's one of the fastest linebackers on the team. There is a reason they had him playing the LB / nickel / safety spot at SAM last season over a guy like Baron Browning; he was and still is their best coverage LB. 

With the amount of hype they've given his speed (he played some deep safety at times last season) I wouldn't be shocked at a 4.58 type 40, but I think it's a safe bet he runs at least in the 4.6's. Athleticism and speed and the subsequent versatility he has is the best part about Werner's game

Edited by BRANDON26841X
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BRANDON26841X said:

FWIW, players and coaches have raved about Werner's athleticism for years. It's basically the one thing they always bring up with him; he's one of the fastest linebackers on the team. There is a reason they had him playing the LB / nickel / safety spot at SAM last season over a guy like Baron Browning; he was and still is their best coverage LB. 

With the amount of hype they've given his speed (he played some deep safety at times last season) I wouldn't be shocked at a 4.58 type 40, but I think it's a safe bet he runs at least in the 4.6's. Athleticism and speed and the subsequent versatility he has is the best part about Werner's game

I would argue he goes R1 with those numbers. I just highly doubt it happens. He’s a very coordinated athlete with excellent footwork, but I don’t think he’s gonna test well. We shall see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paddy Fisher doesn’t get enough burn on here. He’s gonna be very good. His reads are basically perfect. And he is effective in coverage as long as he’s on RBs or zone dropping. He’s gonna make someone very happy late on draft day. 

I know he lacks athleticism, but for a team that values fundamentally sound players, they’re gonna cream for Paddy. He’s got next level instincts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...