Official 2021 Off Ball Linebacker Thread

MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

He might not. I just see a guy who has pretty much perfect reads and excellent hand usage to combat blocks. He's probably going to come off the field on 3rd downs, but I think he absolutely has a role as an ILB on neutral downs. He's a clean prospect who simply doesn't have sideline-sideline speed. Those guys are still valuable to gap-sound defensive teams, which appear to be going by the wayside anymore.

I'm sure he'd be a stalwart on Special Teams as well. 

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So many mocks now have Parsons slipping. He was gold dust about 5 months ago

I think he still is. He'll go in the top 10 ultimately. I'd be surprised if he's not the #1 defensive player taken.

Parsons has so many elite traits. What hurts him is that he is an OLB for a 4-3 scheme. I don't think those guys hold much value. I didn't think Simmons was worth the selection either. Regardless of how good those guys are, an OLB is not very important. I think he is one of those freak athletes that people will fall in love with though. And it's not like he's not a great player. He's a very good player that doesn't read at an elite level yet. That's all.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So many mocks now have Parsons slipping. He was gold dust about 5 months ago

He'll go top 15. His positional value is what hurts him the most. I think he's going to be a stud. Could be the next Patrick Willis if he has the drive to be elite.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 2:57 PM, jrry32 said:

He'll go top 15. His positional value is what hurts him the most. I think he's going to be a stud. Could be the next Patrick Willis if he has the drive to be elite.

I don’t think he has the diagnosing skills to be Willis. Parsons is kind of a freelancer, in that he doesn’t really make guard reads. I think he’s gonna be an OLB as a result. But I still believe in him having a great pro career...just not as an ILB. 

Edited by GodOfLinebackers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

I don’t think he has the diagnosing skills to be Willis. Parsons is kind of a freelancer, in that he doesn’t really make guard reads. I think he’s gonna be an OLB as a result. But I still believe in him having a great pro career...just not as an ILB. 

If he has the drive to be great, he can develop his game.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:57 AM, jrry32 said:

Are we sure he goes before JOK?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

I don’t think he has the diagnosing skills to be Willis. Parsons is kind of a freelancer

He doesn't have the same background as Willis's either, I would pump the brakes on judging him as he has has only been playing linebacker for only 2 seasons. Also as far as the free lancer, he was probably given the autonomy to free lance by his defensive coordinator, and he was pretty dang good at it.

I would look at the Ryan Shazier situation as a barometer to what Parsons could be, the both were defensive end prospects who converted to LB at the collegiate level and both have similar skill sets.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Parsons essentially admitted to some of the stuff teams may have concerns about. Using being young as an excuse for his actions. He could just be referencing the Ohio State incident.

“Obviously, people had some concerns about things that had happened,” Parsons said.

“But at the end of the day, I was a kid. I was 17-18. We all made mistakes when we were 17-18. I’m not going to let it control or dictate the person I am now. I’m not going to let something that happened four years ago dictate who I’m becoming and the father I want to be.”