Official 2021 Off Ball Linebacker Thread

MOSteelers56

Just now, Jeezla said:

Bush had much better instincts/knowledge of what opposing offenses wanted to do, but I think McGrone is naturally better at getting off blocks and sifting through traffic. I don't think McGrone will run 4.4's, but he looks like a 4.55-4.59 guy. I'm not really sure how McGrone's pass coverage compares to Bush, because there just isn't enough McGrone tape. I think McGrones ceiling might be higher than Bush, but his floor is also much lower.

Devin Bush was the 10th pick overall, no way McGrone has that type of potential to be the 10th pick overall.  And Bush is way better in pass coverage, only issue with Bush is the constant injuries he seems to have.  No way McGrone has a higher ceiling though, not sure where that is coming from.  KJ Britt is way better than McGrone, more athletic and plays more physical football, and if he times out well could easily be one of the best ILB prospects in the draft.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Devin Bush was the 10th pick overall, no way McGrone has that type of potential to be the 10th pick overall.  And Bush is way better in pass coverage, only issue with Bush is the constant injuries he seems to have.  No way McGrone has a higher ceiling though, not sure where that is coming from.  KJ Britt is way better than McGrone, more athletic and plays more physical football, and if he times out well could easily be one of the best ILB prospects in the draft.  

Devin Bush was drafted a round too early. McGrone has a higher ceiling as a run defender, because he's naturally better at getting off blocks.

Rondale Moore has no chance at getting drafted earlier than John Ross did. Does that mean Rondale Moore can't be as good as John Ross?

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

Devin Bush was drafted a round too early. McGrone has a higher ceiling as a run defender, because he's naturally better at getting off blocks.

Rondale Moore has no chance at getting drafted earlier than John Ross did. Does that mean Rondale Moore can't be as good as John Ross?

John Ross had one of the fastest 40 times ever recorded at the combine, that is why he went that high and injuries have obviously slowed and or stopped his career all together. 

Devin Bush was not drafted too early, he just has injury issues if he would have been healthy this entire time it would not be a question.  Bush is more athletic than McGrone, better in coverage and makes bigger plays more consistently.  4 passes deflected, 2 INTs, 4 fumble recoveries and ten games of 7+ tackles is not exactly bad.  McGrone would be lucky to have that type of production as a rookie.  

Again KJ Britt is better than McGrone.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

John Ross had one of the fastest 40 times ever recorded at the combine, that is why he went that high and injuries have obviously slowed and or stopped his career all together. 

Devin Bush was not drafted too early, he just has injury issues if he would have been healthy this entire time it would not be a question.  Bush is more athletic than McGrone, better in coverage and makes bigger plays more consistently.  4 passes deflected, 2 INTs, 4 fumble recoveries and ten games of 7+ tackles is not exactly bad.  McGrone would be lucky to have that type of production as a rookie.  

Again KJ Britt is better than McGrone.  

Devin Bush was definitely drafted too early. If he runs a 4.6 flat at the combine, he goes no earlier than round 2. Is he even a top 16 ILB? When I watch the Steelers, Devin Bush always seems like just an average ILB that happens to run fast. What's his PFF grades? I bet they are nothing special, similar to the eyeball test. From what I remember as a Devin Bush IDP owner last year, he started the first 6 games or so hot, then leveled out into just an average ILB.

Edited by Jeezla

34 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Devin Bush was definitely drafted too early. If he runs a 4.6 flat at the combine, he goes no earlier than round 2. Is he even a top 16 ILB? When I watch the Steelers, Devin Bush always seems like just an average ILB that happens to run fast. What's his PFF grades? I bet they are nothing special, similar to the eyeball test. From what I remember as a Devin Bush IDP owner last year, he started the first 6 games or so hot, then leveled out into just an average ILB.

I think you may be wrong on the Bush take. He was all over the place for us before his ACL. He was average last year, but he was a rookie. He looked like he was really tapping into his potential this year before the injury. We’ll have to see how he recovers. The lack of takeaways he had at Michigan worried me, but it hasn’t been like that in the NFL.

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I think you may be wrong on the Bush take. He was all over the place for us before his ACL. He was average last year, but he was a rookie. He looked like he was really tapping into his potential this year before the injury. We’ll have to see how he recovers. The lack of takeaways he had at Michigan worried me, but it hasn’t been like that in the NFL.

Forgot he tore his acl. That sucks. I don't think he's bad, but I didn't see a stud when I watched him. Obviously still time to get better all around as he's still young, I just didn't see a special LBer like I do when I watch Darius Leonard. I saw a really athletic guy that doesn't hurt you or make mistakes, but I didn't see a guy that can occasionally take over the game.

@Jeezla You watch KJ Britt at the senior bowl?  The man is a freaking dude, played with great energy, passion and made some big time plays and is a big time athlete.  Clear #1 ILB in the draft I would say and probably a high 2nd round pick or could sneak into the late 1st.  Browning played well also I thought as did Riley Cole who stood out.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

@Jeezla You watch KJ Britt at the senior bowl?  The man is a freaking dude, played with great energy, passion and made some big time plays and is a big time athlete.  Clear #1 ILB in the draft I would say and probably a high 2nd round pick or could sneak into the late 1st.  Browning played well also I thought as did Riley Cole who stood out.  

I have not watched him yet. 

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Britt's a throwback type that runs around like he's on fire but doesn't always breakdown well and isn't much of a factor in coverage. He's got a #1 ILB ceiling if he's coachable and learns to anticipate better but he's kind of a 2 down guy that can run atm. I think this tape is pretty indicative of his play. How would you grade that game?

Tony Fields was also named best LB with Britt for senior practices. He's undersized but punches way above his weight, can cover, and likely to get bigger. Cox is another that should get a little bigger and stronger as a pro. I'm also loving Curtis Robinson...another great cover guy that can run that should get stronger. I've got them all over Britt rn.

If Britt's #1 to you where do you have Parsons?

4 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Britt's a throwback type that runs around like he's on fire but doesn't always breakdown well and isn't much of a factor in coverage. He's got a #1 ILB ceiling if he's coachable and learns to anticipate better but he's kind of a 2 down guy that can run atm. I think this tape is pretty indicative of his play. How would you grade that game?

Tony Fields was also named best LB with Britt for senior practices. He's undersized but punches way above his weight, can cover, and likely to get bigger. Cox is another that should get a little bigger and stronger as a pro. I'm also loving Curtis Robinson...another great cover guy that can run that should get stronger. I've got them all over Britt rn.

If Britt's #1 to you where do you have Parsons?

Parsons is the obvious #1 LB overall but I have Britt as the #1 ILB, Parsons I think should be a OLB and be allow more freedom than a ILB but sure could be a great 3/4 ILB possibly.  Hell Britt could play OLB also but might be best on the inside, either way Parsons is obviously better than him just as a OLB I feel.

Cox is awesome also, with his coverage ability he will be gone in the 2nd or 3rd round no question about it.  Britt was hurt almost the entire season so that does matter, but he really flashed and showed great athletic ability and passion in that senior bowl, was all over the field making plays and getting aggressive tackles.  When healthy he is easily one of the better LB prospects in the draft.

Britt against Minnesota was not his best game, did not make as many plays as he could or probably should be he was going to be a better player this year I thought and was on track to be before the injury.  Sure he has some things to work on but athletically he is right up there, Parsons is clearly better but compared Britt to the likes of Fisher, Rice, Moses and specifically in the case previous McGrone.  He has more upside than them all athletically.  

Also give me Britt all day over Nick Bolton.  

• 2 weeks later...