Week 6: Packers (4-1) at VIKINGS (3-2)

swede700

Didn't get a chance to watch the Vikings game yet, though I do have it DVR'ed on Youtube TV so I can do it later if I want.

I did listen to most of it while driving back down from Duluth to the Cities. It seemed like we should have won by more and we left a couple points on the board, but more so gave them points. The defense got caught out of position once or twice, but it was mainly the offense giving the Packers a short field and from what I heard, sounded like the Packers' defense might have left a few more turnovers out there as well, though, not sure how difficult they would have been.

I feel sorry for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, they are getting smacked around by injuries right now. With Bulaga and Baktarhi hurt or dinged up anyways, Hundley is going to have to do more than he should right now. Add in the injuries to the DB's and the Packers will be playing close games or catch-up a lot which hurts even more for Hundley.

36 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

sounded like the Packers' defense might have left a few more turnovers out there as well

I can only think of one play where Martinez missed a pass that he should have intercepted when Keenum tried to thread one in to Rudolph. Other than that, I don’t remember any others. 

9 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Don't get me wrong, Case has proven to be a great pickup for us and has performed better than what you would expect from a backup. I think he has earned the starting gig for now, but I don't think that necessarily should prevent us from using Teddy earlier than week 13/14. Teddy may very well be the future of this franchise at QB, and if he is healthy enough and ready to play, I think it has to be an even competition at that point to decide who goes out. The team has rallied behind Keenum, but they will probably do the same if not more for Teddy. Case also didn't come here expecting to be the starter, or at least I would doubt he did. If Teddy is good to go, which it sounds like he may be, then I think you go with Teddy. The first slip that Case has when Teddy is activated and everyone is going to be calling for him. I understand the logic of going with what's working, and who is the hot hand, but given the circumstances, TB might be just as good of an option if not better.

I'm just saying that if we're in playoff position with Case behind center and he doesn't have a major drop-off in talent, why should there even be thoughts of inserting Teddy? Case got you this far, are you really going to just say "OK, thanks for getting us near the playoffs but we're going to put this quarterback in who's been out for pretty much two full seasons and is coming off an extremely catastrophic knee injury. He's going to try and finish up the playoffs for us."

Like I said, as long as we have a mathematical shot at the playoffs, Teddy shouldn't be seeing the field in a starting role. If us and Detroit are 8-4 heading into week 13, would you REALLY put Teddy in? At week 10, he'll have missed 26 games. He's going to need AT LEAST two games to shake off the rust and get back into game shape and re-find his rapport with the pass catchers. Can we really afford those two games if we're battling for the division and/or playoffs?

I do agree that Teddy needs to get on the field sometime this year but I'd rather that come from games if we've locked up the playoffs, are officially eliminated, or garbage time situations. I'd also be perfectly fine with him not playing this year and giving him a full off-season and pre-season to get back into it as I move on from Bradford and name Tedford the guy for 2018.

I looked at the NFL news thread on Aaron Rodgers injury, there are two Packers fans who don't understand how rules, football, or physics work which is really bringing down what should be an interesting thread talking about it and the Packers' future this season. I did avoid writing a snippy response to them though. I understand it sucks a lot, but if it had been Keanum who was knocked out by Clay Matthews like that, they wouldn't be complaining about it.

7 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I looked at the NFL news thread on Aaron Rodgers injury, there are two Packers fans who don't understand how rules, football, or physics work which is really bringing down what should be an interesting thread talking about it and the Packers' future this season. I did avoid writing a snippy response to them though. I understand it sucks a lot, but if it had been Keanum who was knocked out by Clay Matthews like that, they wouldn't be complaining about it.

After watching the tape, I'm sure Aaron Rodgers would even apologize to Barr for screaming at him, since that was just a football play.  No one can legitimately make the argument that it was a dirty play.  

Case Keenum is like Brad Johnson in 05, but with more physical talent (ie ability to throw the ball further than 8 yards down the field) and more talent around him.

His job is to get the ball to his playmakers and limit mistakes. He plays like you expect a good backup should play. When Sam or Teddy are ready to go, you start one of them and thank Case for his services as a fill-in starter.

Zimmer: “They free-released the back the first couple third downs, and later on, they max-protected a couple times, and we ended up sacking him on one of those. And then as the game got on, it was more, ‘Try to use more coverage in this situation.’ But going in we have a plan, and I heard this from one of the coaches this summer: your first quarter, you kind of go with your game plan; your second and third quarter, you make your adjustments to what they’re doing; and then the fourth quarter, you let it eat with your best plays. So that’s kind of what we try to do.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Presser-Points-Zimmer-on-Game-Plan-Process-Barrs-Tackle-of-Rodgers/9a2f9b06-e0b0-4be1-9a3d-26001cab57ab?sf122552643=1

you let it eat.... oh, i like that.

8 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I don't understand physics, rules or football eh?

Guess you couldn't completely avoid a snippy comment.

8 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I just edited my post. Its not worth the trouble. 

I just can't wait when review time comes around and GB motions for a change in definition for roughing the passer just to get laughed out of the room. Lol

McCarthy: "I didn't like the hit. [Aaron's] out of the pocket. He's clearly expecting to get hit, but to pin him to the ground like that, I feel that it was an illegal act. I didn't like the hit. It was totally unnecessary in my opinion."

Zimmer: “We’re playing football, and it’s unfortunate that he got hurt, but I think everybody was above board. We’re not a dirty football team; we’ll never be a dirty football team as long as I’m here. We’re going to play within the rules, and sometimes things happen.”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-set-for-surgery-and-mike-mccarthy-rips-illegal-hit-that-led-to-injury/

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Presser-Points-Zimmer-on-Game-Plan-Process-Barrs-Tackle-of-Rodgers/9a2f9b06-e0b0-4be1-9a3d-26001cab57ab

Archived