2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

8 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bruh you're doom and glooming this early? We nearly beat the Chiefs twice last year with a horrific defense and now we're gonna get destroyed? We have more than half the offseason to go. I mean do you, but I really don't understand this degree of pessimism.

We have not improved the defense overall and KC just solidified maybe the best DT duo in the league while we dismantled our interior o-line.  If Incognito can not play at a very high level expect Reed and Jones to have a field day against us.  It all starts up the middle and we have very little and they have a whole lot.  KCs defense does not look good when Jones is taking plays off but they look phenomenal when he plays to his talent.  Now you just put Reed next to him and they are going to feed off of each other.  Are you going to try and block Reed 1v1 or Jones?  Does not matter because you are going to get beat.  How we look at the end of the off-season could change but I can only go off of the past and since Gruden has been here we have not made the best decisions.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We have not improved the defense overall and KC just solidified maybe the best DT duo in the league while we dismantled our interior o-line.  If Incognito can not play at a very high level expect Reed and Jones to have a field day against us.  It all starts up the middle and we have very little and they have a whole lot.  KCs defense does not look good when Jones is taking plays off but they look phenomenal when he plays to his talent.  Now you just put Reed next to him and they are going to feed off of each other.  Are you going to try and block Reed 1v1 or Jones?  Does not matter because you are going to get beat.  How we look at the end of the off-season could change but I can only go off of the past and since Gruden has been here we have not made the best decisions.

No argument there LOL

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

We got destroyed last year up the middle against KC. We didn't run the ball well at all, especially in the 2nd game. There were very few holes. Switching to more zone concepts may help and I do agree it all starts up front. We ourselves had very little pass rush so we have to fight fire with fire.

I think ideally you double Chris jones and leave Richie 1 on 1 with him. Which is not a bad matchup if Richie is healthy, considering he is definitely a top 5 guard in the game when he is.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a mauler at right tackle like Jenkins and run behind our tackles, which we couldn't do much with Trent banged up.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I stopped checking my investments lol

Then I can take you off of the suicide watch.  I trade to and today was just all over the place.  Just had to except that my strategy did not work today and take a smart loss.  I do not want to look at my investment until it is time to go shopping because everything is on sale right now.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We got destroyed last year up the middle against KC. We didn't run the ball well at all, especially in the 2nd game. There were very few holes. Switching to more zone concepts may help and I do agree it all starts up front. We ourselves had very little pass rush so we have to fight fire with fire.

I think ideally you double Chris jones and leave Richie 1 on 1 with him. Which is not a bad matchup if Richie is healthy, considering he is definitely a top 5 guard in the game when he is.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a mauler at right tackle like Jenkins and run behind our tackles, which we couldn't do much with Trent banged up.

So we agree that we are dependent on a soon to be 38 year old guard coming off an Achilles injury to stay healthy and an egomaniacal coach to do what is best for the team.  Not saying it is impossible but they are not likely and improbable respectively.  That is why I am of the opinion that the only way KC is not the dominant team in our division and conference is if KC screws itself.  Then again the Broncos could trade for Watson and give KC a run for their money but that only compounds our problem.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

So we agree that we are dependent on a soon to be 38 year old guard coming off an Achilles injury to stay healthy and an egomaniacal coach to do what is best for the team.  Not saying it is impossible but they are not likely and improbable respectively.  That is why I am of the opinion that the only way KC is not the dominant team in our division and conference is if KC screws itself.  Then again the Broncos could trade for Watson and give KC a run for their money but that only compounds our problem.

2-3 years ago, we were solidly in 2nd place in the AFCW behind the Chiefs. 

We might actually be the worst team in the division now (and will undoubtedly be if the Broncos find a QB). 

I think our biggest issue is a huge lack of consistency- on the field and in personell decisions. We keep signing lower tier guys to short deals and hoping they pan out. Problem is, when they do, we decide they're too expensive and try to repeat the same process. I said before, we're trying to plug holes the way the Patriots would, only we don't have a solid core that gives us roster consistency year in, year out. We're looking at something like 7 new starters (one of Brown/Edwards; James, Good, NCB*, FS*, DT*), this year, and all but 1 (Yannick) has been filled (to date) with a lesser or at best equal talent than we previously had. And on top of that, 6 more are guys we're relying on to stay healthy (Incognito) or improve to a level of not being someone we can safely choose not to improve on (Ferrell, Littleton, Arnette, Abram, Ruggs). 

And frankly, that seems like a recurring theme for us. That kind of turnover makes it hard to have consistent improvement. 

*- we either don't have a potential answer on the team or are hoping someone develops exceptionally quickly into a viable starter

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

2-3 years ago, we were solidly in 2nd place in the AFCW behind the Chiefs. 

We might actually be the worst team in the division now (and will undoubtedly be if the Broncos find a QB). 

I think our biggest issue is a huge lack of consistency- on the field and in personell decisions. We keep signing lower tier guys to short deals and hoping they pan out. Problem is, when they do, we decide they're too expensive and try to repeat the same process. I said before, we're trying to plug holes the way the Patriots would, only we don't have a solid core that gives us roster consistency year in, year out. We're looking at something like 7 new starters (one of Brown/Edwards; James, Good, NCB*, FS*, DT*), this year, and all but 1 (Yannick) has been filled (to date) with a lesser or at best equal talent than we previously had. And on top of that, 6 more are guys we're relying on to stay healthy (Incognito) or improve to a level of not being someone we can safely choose not to improve on (Ferrell, Littleton, Arnette, Abram, Ruggs). 

And frankly, that seems like a recurring theme for us. That kind of turnover makes it hard to have consistent improvement. 

*- we either don't have a potential answer on the team or are hoping someone develops exceptionally quickly into a viable starter

After I read the first couple lines my first thought was Patriots.  Gruden wants to be the smartest guy in the room so who would you try to make your comp be?  BB.  I said the same thing about Carr and Brady.  Very similar to when Jordan was getting older you had Kobe come out and try to be Jordan.  Kobe tried so hard that when he was forced to do like Jordan did he fell flat on his face.  Kobe had a great career when he had top talent around him but would have had a much better second half if he just focused on making his team better.  I remember they would bring Kobe in to meet with prospective new players and they just kept signing elsewhere.  I think Carr is more concerned about legacy than winning and not realizing that winning has to come first.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bruh you're doom and glooming this early? We nearly beat the Chiefs twice last year with a horrific defense and now we're gonna get destroyed? We have more than half the offseason to go. I mean do you, but I really don't understand this degree of pessimism.

I really wish this argument would stop. Teams can get up for division games. Who cares if you can't win the games you're suppose to win and you can't win in December.

Even if they beat the Cheifs twice, they miss the playoffs.... so what would it have mattered? 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I really wish this argument would stop. Teams can get up for division games. Who cares if you can't win the games you're suppose to win and you can't win in December.

Even if they beat the Cheifs twice, they miss the playoffs.... so what would it have mattered? 

I’m not saying we’re a contender, but I have a lot more optimism than a lot of the board, who is melting down because we signed Willie Snead, didn’t sign a domestic abuser, and haven’t gotten a a veteran in the secondary to accept an offer.

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I’m not saying we’re a contender, but I have a lot more optimism than a lot of the board, who is melting down because we signed Willie Snead, didn’t sign a domestic abuser, and haven’t gotten a a veteran in the secondary to accept an offer.

Right, we haven’t even gotten to the draft and now we’re the worst team in the division all the sudden. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

We also got stomped by the Falcons and nearly bungled a game to the Just Every Team's Surefire win.

16 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We did sign a abuser.  He coaches the o-line.