2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, Turnobili said:

re: overthecap i question their numbers for Andre James. they have him showing a 2.5 mil cap hit this year, and making 3.5 mil for each of the next 2 years (those numbers dont add up to the 3/12.5 which had been reported 

nothing reported yet re: the structure of kolton's extension

It’s probably right and the 3/12.5 is with all possible incentives like pro bowl, etc

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Correct... Nfltraderumors (on March 25th I believe) reported we need $3,459,745 to sign draft picks but that number chances with every Player we bring in that’s above the #51 in cap cost

interesting. Spotrac has that number just under 6 mil

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

What’s an even bigger shame is there’s a cap exception we could have used to resign our own player and didn’t use it on him.

”New “Veteran Salary Benefit” allowing up to 2 players with four years of service to remain with their club; up to an additional $1.25M in Paragraph 5 excluded from the salary cap by each club each year; increases throughout course of deal.”

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/CBA Side by Side 3.9.20 FINAL.pdf
page 2, right under chart

why didn’t we use this on Jones? 

someone email Mayock lol... Jones better learn to return kicks or be a gunner or something. He is our 6th best wideout, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a UDFA or Trey Quinn give him a run for his money

11 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

someone email Mayock lol... Jones better learn to return kicks or be a gunner or something. He is our 6th best wideout, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a UDFA or Trey Quinn give him a run for his money

Maybe they did and it’s not being reported correctly 

Some sources say the player must be on team for 4 straight years while others say they must be in the league 4 years.... so that may be why he’s ineligible.

I just don’t get the Jones signing .... it’s not expensive but he hasn’t done much.  And can’t play Special teams at all... which is a bad thing for 5th or 6th WRs.  I think his best shot is moving to the slot to compliment Renfrow.  Or I’d he stays outside use him in motion primarily.  He’s pretty good at short timing routes.  He just isn’t explosive on the outside and isn’t big either.  I’d throw him in the slot and hope it works.  I think him and Carr have a connection and Carr wanted him back, so we obliged.

2 hours ago, Turnobili said:

6M is the number if you add up the cap cost of each player.... however, since only the top 51 contracts count against the cap when they sign they bump the 51st ranked player in cap cost off the list.

Overthecap.com:

45. Hunter Renfrow$928,987

46. Erik Magnuson$920,000

47. Kyle Sloter$920,000

(1.17: $2,495,865)

48. Amik Robertson$903,600

(2.48: $1,247,460)

49. Theo Riddick$900,000

(3.79: $893,367)

50. Keisean Nixon$855,000

(3.80: $890,444)

51. Alec Ingold$853,334

(4.121:  $833,483)

———- cut off ——

52. A.J. Cole$850,834

53. Trey Quinn$850,000

..... a bunch of players at $780k

(5.162: $733,602 / 5.167: $731,086 / 6.200: $700,858)

66-71 (end) 660k players 

so when we sign out draft picks Sloter, Robertson, Riddick, Nixon, and Ingold would no longer be in the top 51.  So you can deduct the draft picks cap Hit from the cap hit of the player he replaces in line.

ultimately at the cut deadline this is all a mute point because the players who make the team count against the cap.  But for accounting purposes that’s how you do the math.

Edited by jimkelly02

5 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

What’s an even bigger shame is there’s a cap exception we could have used to resign our own player and didn’t use it on him.

”New “Veteran Salary Benefit” allowing up to 2 players with four years of service to remain with their club; up to an additional $1.25M in Paragraph 5 excluded from the salary cap by each club each year; increases throughout course of deal.”

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/CBA Side by Side 3.9.20 FINAL.pdf
page 2, right under chart

why didn’t we use this on Jones? 

The player has to be with the club for 4 years.

Four-year qualifying contract: Another type of veteran salary benefit, it can be offered to a player with at least four credited seasons whose contract with a team has expired after being on said team for four or more consecutive, uninterrupted league years prior to his contract expiring. Such a player must have been on the team's 90-man active/inactive list for said seasons (and every regular-season and postseason game). Teams can sign a maximum of two eligible players to this type of salary benefit.

A qualifying contract under this benefit is a one-year deal with a base salary of up to $1.25 million more (set to increase in 2022) than the minimum base salary for said player. However, if a team does sign two players to a qualifying contract, it can only give a combined $1.25 million in additional base salary between the two deals. Under such agreements, only the applicable minimum base salary (not the $1.25 million benefit) is charged against the salary cap.

So Jones wasn't eligible for it. Should have been a vet minimum contract anyway.

5 hours ago, Turnobili said:

That number isn't counting the players (and their cap hits) pushed out of the top 51 when they sign some of the rookies to a higher contract.

Edit: @jimkelly02 explained it better already.

Edited by oakdb36
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

That number isn't counting the players (and their cap hits) pushed out of the top 51 when they sign some of the rookies to a higher contract.

Edit: @jimkelly02 explained it better already.

yep. i ran the numbers and based on the current top 51 on overthecap, we'd need just a hair over 2 mil for the draft picks.

assuming no trade backs, the first round pick cap hit will be ~2.5 mil. second round pick would be 1.25, 3rd round pick 893k.

so when the first round pick is signed, the #51 player (currently ingold) would no longer count toward the cap. so you add 2.5 mil, subtract ingold's 850k (net 1.65 hit). the second round pick bumps the current #50 off (currently nixon). so you add 1.25 mil, subract another 850k (net 0.4 hit). the third round pick cap hit is actually less than our current #49 (nixon), so third round pick and on wouldnt even count.

so its just about 2.05 mil that we need to reserve for draft picks, barring any trade scenarios which could change that, of course. assuming overthecap is accurate... our 11.8 mil in current cap space is more like 9.8 or so. 

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Quinton Dunbar who was a great scheme fit got a cheap 1 year prove it deal from Detroit. Not sure why we didn't kick the tires on him, 

He wasn't good last year, missed 10 games and i don't think he's the "leader" you'd want to add to our young DB room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

He wasn't good last year, missed 10 games and i don't think he's the "leader" you'd want to add to our young DB room.

He was one of the best CB's in the league in 2019 though, that's why you sign him to a 1 yr prove it deal. 

• Like 1