2021 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Sounds about right, we put all of our chips on the table for one player at a major position of need, get outbid, and then are forced to reach in the draft. The same thing happened with Byron Jones/Damon Arnette last year.

Sounds like the other guys are just stopgaps in their eyes. Doesn't seem like anybody was in a hurry to sign them either.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Sounds about right, we put all of our chips on the table for one player at a major position of need, get outbid, and then are forced to reach in the draft. The same thing happened with Byron Jones/Damon Arnette last year.

I wanted Jenkins too. 😒

But alas, we don't know how to FA. 

Jenkins would've plugged a huge hole and been a guy we could keep around a while, negating the pressure to draft a guy early. He played well and was in Bradley's system just last year. 

But hey, Haha Clinton-Dix is maybe sitting on an offer...while sitting on his couch...as he did all of last year........so we're fine. 

All I can say is thank God there are some solid S's in the draft between Moehrig, Grant, Holland*, Molden*, Cisco, etc. If we don't go FS in rd 1, someone is bound to be there at 48 and short of going with Paris Ford, I don't think we can....(👀)....screw....it......nevermind. 

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Jenkins got 8.75M/Y. You wanted to beat that offer?

Plus, even if they did offer him that amount, there are loads of factors that determine why a player chooses one team over an other.

So many fans say - why didn’t we sign X or I’d have offered Y that amount. But the player has to want to come to our team over the others who made an offer

8 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Plus, even if they did offer him that amount, there are loads of factors that determine why a player chooses one team over an other.

So many fans say - why didn’t we sign X or I’d have offered Y that amount. But the player has to want to come to our team over the others who made an offer

Right. Jenkins is from Florida so who knows if that's one reason he went there.

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Jenkins got 8.75M/Y. You wanted to beat that offer?

Wanted and wanted for X amount are two different things.  

The point is that the Raiders brass apparently wanted him too, and he never even came for a visit. In fact, this was the first actual connection between him and interest from the Raiders. 

That is a growing trend, and one even the biggest Grudock fanboys have to admit- we consistently find out about interest from the Raiders about one player or another at a position of clear need, retroactively, after failing to address said need at all. That in turn makes it very obvious going into the draft what our targets are, thereby limiting our own bargaining power for trades. And that all together speaks volumes about our team, particularly amid the undeniable locker room struggles we've had. 

We reach in the draft and can't scout guys to save our lives, and attracting FA's (something apologists swore "Vegas!" and "No state income tax!" and "New stadium!" would do) has proven year after year to be a pipe dream while we sit in neutral and shovel laugh-worthy money at wholly undeserving players and then say "It's REALLY because we secretly wanted them!" to counteract everyone else's giant 🤨

Or...yeah, we can stick to the default answer of calling every decent player too expensive and continue to sign the bottom of the barrel because they're cheap. I suppose that works too? "You get what you pay for" clearly goes above some folks' heads. It would be different if we actually drafted well, but we don't do that either. 

Edited by ronjon1990

44 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Who knows exactly what we offered, this is correct.

Players not wanting to come here, though, is an underappreciated fact that too many want to overlook. 

The fact that virtually nobody even came for a workout and yet we hear after the fact the Raiders had interest isn't just a sidenote. We typically sign the bottom tier of guys, and tend to do so late, out of necessity.

Or, we bungle the operation altogether. Kyle Long said he didn't receive an offer from us. People immediately say "but it was the workout, tho!". Well, he's clearly talented enough for the Chiefs to entrust him with blocking for their billion dollar investment, so unless he came and crapped on the Al Davis torch, I find it very hard to believe it was an honest matter of us simply not wanting him. My guess is that we thought we could sit on an offer and he wouldn't garner much interest and lost him while holding our bananas in our hands. 

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The point is that the Raiders brass apparently wanted him too, and he never even came for a visit. In fact, this was the first actual connection between him and interest from the Raiders. 

How many players signed in the first wave came for a visit? Tafur first reported about Jenkins being one of our targets the day after he signed with Jax. I posted it in this thread a few days ago.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Who knows exactly what we offered, this is correct.

Players not wanting to come here, though, is an underappreciated fact that too many want to overlook. 

The fact that virtually nobody even came for a workout and yet we hear after the fact the Raiders had interest isn't just a sidenote. We typically sign the bottom tier of guys, and tend to do so late, out of necessity.

Or, we bungle the operation altogether. Kyle Long said he didn't receive an offer from us. People immediately say "but it was the workout, tho!". Well, he's clearly talented enough for the Chiefs to entrust him with blocking for their billion dollar investment, so unless he came and crapped on the Al Davis torch, I find it very hard to believe it was an honest matter of us simply not wanting him. My guess is that we thought we could sit on an offer and he wouldn't garner much interest and lost him while holding our bananas in our hands. 

Or he just wasn't better than the Gs on the team already.