If DC Brandon Staley is gone - hired by Chargers

rocky_rams

24 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

The Rams are going to have to work nothing short of magic this offseason, on the roster, in the draft, to the backroom staff..... everywhere. McVay has proven more than capable so we will see how this whole thing plays out. 

Talk about your over reactions

He just did this last year with the staff and we made the Divisional round of the playoffs.

The draft isn’t that big of an issue. We are actually (likely) going in with 7 picks, 4 of them Top 100(ish) and another 4th round comp that should be in the Top 150.

This roster still boasts 2 of the Top Defensive players in all of Football, plus plenty of other young talent on that side, as well as us having our LT (and best lineman) returning for another year, a WR corps that most teams would drool over and a young running back who looks like the real deal along with a good compliment to him. 

All of that and a competent QB, (and yes he is even if that only puts him middle of the pack) who has show the skills to be very impressive at times. So even if he doesn’t hit this “Elite” level some one you keep comparing him to, which you only are because we’ve seen him do that for a season, he can still drive this offense with one of the leagues best offensive minds and top HCs at the helm. 

Sure losing some impact guys isn’t ever a good thing, JJJ and Floyd will hurt, but we lost similar impact guys the few previous years also and plugged those holes. But we’re also losing guys who we need to move on from and upgrade at those positions anyway (Blythe, Everett, Reynolds). 

Hate to lose him but he did a hell of a job here and deserves this oppurtunity.

While this does suck..you have to be proud of how far we have come as an organization. The league wants our players and coaches every year because we are doing things the right way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ACO said:

Just saw this. What do we know about him and his defense? Also, impending FA's that could follow.

Most recent stint was with Atlanta as the interim for Dan Quinn. They went 4-7 under his coaching. He appears to have worked with McVay briefly in Washington in 2014.

FA ties from Atlanta: Keanu Neal, Darqueze Denard, Damontae Kazee, Laroy Reynolds, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Charles Harris. (meh to all but Neal). 

2 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Am I mistaken here or did Atlanta not have a historically bad defense for a good portion of last season? 

Sort of. Quinn was fired after week 5. In the first 5 weeks they gave up over 30 4 times. The rest of the 11 weeks they only gave up 30 twice, both to the Bucs. They probably played KC as well as anyone.

I don't know if this is a homerun hire but the Falcons clearly responded well when he was the interim head coach.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Just saw this. What do we know about him and his defense? Also, impending FA's that could follow.

Most recent stint was with Atlanta as the interim for Dan Quinn. They went 4-7 under his coaching. He appears to have worked with McVay briefly in Washington in 2014.

FA ties from Atlanta: Keanu Neal, Darqueze Denard, Damontae Kazee, Laroy Reynolds, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Charles Harris. (meh to all but Neal). 

When he was in Tampa he was running a Tampa-2 variant - as he came up as a DB coach and intern under Monte Kiffin.  In Atlanta, he looked like he was able to make adaptations to Dan Quinn 4-3 Over to get things better (not great, but Atlanta still lack a legit pass-rushing presence outside of Grady Jarrett).  Really can't be certain as to what kind of scheme he'd bring in; I'd be hopeful of a hybrid.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Intriguing option he certainly got the Falcons playing better. Is he married to a 4-3 or a 3-4? Don’t know a ton about him.

As I said on the other forum, expect a multiple D. I like the idea of it. Morris really turned things around in Atlanta after they fired Quinn. I think he's a very smart defensive mind. The only downside is that if he does well for us next year, he'll be a HC after the 2021 season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

As I said on the other forum, expect a multiple D. I like the idea of it. Morris really turned things around in Atlanta after they fired Quinn. I think he's a very smart defensive mind. The only downside is that if he does well for us next year, he'll be a HC after the 2021 season.

There’s a chance that we are gambling that it take 2 years for that to happen and we get another 3rd round pick for him getting a HC spot in 2023

• Like 1