Week 15 Post Game: We Beat the Panthers! Yay!

mikebpackfan

3 minutes ago, Hoodie89 said:

Question about time management at the end. Why in the world do you not catch that kickoff in the back of the endzone and run off 4 seconds before taking a knee? Kickoff was at 2:04 and Panthers had 1 timeout left. By running off 4 seconds, you eliminate the 2 minute warning which was a free time out. Thus leaving them ~15 seconds left after we punted instead of over a minute, assuming everything else plays out as it did.

Am I missing something here? Some of these time management scenarios just seem like such common sense to me and it's baffling how infrequent most coaching staffs use it to their advantage.

Edit: yes I know the kickoff went through the back of the endzone but it did seem catchable

Well, you answered your own question: the kick wasnt returnable. Even still - the very last thing you want is to make a return to somewhere inside your own 20. If things go south on offense - or backwards due to misplay or penalty - you could be punting the ball back inside your own 10 or near the EZ.

Best to start things at the 25.

Just now, Leader said:

Not sure why Dillon didnt get more snaps. If they're bringing him along slowly because of his COVID encounter - that might make sense. Otherwise, give the guy the ball!

When it was starting to look like a blowout, I was excited for him to get some real snaps later in the game.  Once things tightened up, they went with the vet.  Also we had 5 punts in a row, mostly 3 and outs. Not a lot of opportunities under those circumstances.

He should get more on his plate next week with Willams hurt and he will probably be the guy playing the Henry role on the scout team this week. Let’s see him rise to that audition. 

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Frankly, while we don’t absolutely need to win next weekend against the Titans, we kinda do.  Of the top 10 ranked teams, GB has a 1-2 record.  They beat the Saints and lost to the Colts and Bucs.  Going 1-3 into the playoffs against other playoff teams (potentially) doesn’t engender a lot of confidence that a 12-4 team can beat the best teams, in spite of the record.

Ah, if the Saints win the rest of their games, it's than becomes paramount we beat the Titans...You're banking on the Saints losing at least one game the rest of the way....

8 minutes ago, Refugee said:

When it was starting to look like a blowout, I was excited for him to get some real snaps later in the game.  Once things tightened up, they went with the vet.  Also we had 5 punts in a row, mostly 3 and outs. Not a lot of opportunities under those circumstances. He should get more on his plate next week with Willams hurt and he will probably be the guy playing the Henry role on the scout team this week. Let’s see him rise to that audition. 

Understood - but Williams was out for the better part of the game.

Now - if (again) they're being cautious with him because of COVID or his lack of actual physical practice......I can understand that. Otherwise, the guy's a top draft pick with a decent college history. Give him the damn ball - at least - until he proves he shouldnt be getting it (ala Dexter).

Add on edit:  I dont know. Maybe the guy f'ed up some assignment - so they pulled him. Might have been. Maybe they werent sure of his pass pro. Unless the announcers mention it - its hard to discern just from watching things.

Edited by Leader

2 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Ah, if the Saints win the rest of their games, it's than becomes paramount we beat the Titans...You're banking on the Saints losing at least one game the rest of the way....

Not happening.

KCs gonna take care of business in a few hours 👍

I still want to beat TN....just because.

12 minutes ago, Hoodie89 said:

Question about time management at the end. Why in the world do you not catch that kickoff in the back of the endzone and run off 4 seconds before taking a knee? Kickoff was at 2:04 and Panthers had 1 timeout left. By running off 4 seconds, you eliminate the 2 minute warning which was a free time out. Thus leaving them ~15 seconds left after we punted instead of over a minute, assuming everything else plays out as it did.

Am I missing something here? Some of these time management scenarios just seem like such common sense to me and it's baffling how infrequent most coaching staffs use it to their advantage.

Edit: yes I know the kickoff went through the back of the endzone but it did seem catchable

I was wondering if GB might try to return that KO to get to the 2 minute warning, but it was too deep to make that a practical choice. CAR clearly was playing to kick the ball out of the EZ to prevent the clock from running.  GB probably could have fielded the kick, but the returner would have been 8-9 yards deep in the EZ.  GB needed to protect against the onside kick up front, which they did. Having the returner attempt a KO return from that spot with zero blocking would not have been a good plan.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well, you answered your own question: the kick wasnt returnable. Even still - the very last thing you want is to make a return to somewhere inside your own 20. If things go south on offense - or backwards due to misplay or penalty - you could be punting the ball back inside your own 10 or near the EZ.

Best to start things at the 25.

At that situation field position is irrelevant. The kick should've been returned to get to the 2 minute warning. The Panthers have 1 TO. That means you get 1 minute 20 seconds to bleed from the clock. They got the ball back with like 55 seconds, so you could've theoretically killed another 40 seconds by returning it. Meaning the grounding play would've ended the game.

Now it's all irrelevant with how the D stepped up on the last drive, but imagine if Samuel makes that catch after the grounding play.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Understood - but Williams was out for the better part of the game.

Now - if (again) they're being cautious with him because of COVID or his lack of actual physical practice......I can understand that. Otherwise, the guy's a top draft pick with a decent college history. Give him the damn ball - at least - until he proves he shouldnt be getting it (ala Dexter).

I’m with you and am definitely part of the AJD fan club, we just didn’t have much TOP in the early second half and it didn’t shake out for him. In hindsight, some of those three and out would have been worth putting Dillion in instead of Jones but we went with the vet.

The biggest thing for him will be for them to trust him in pass pro so they can leave him in for a few series and keep the offense versatile. If this had continued to be a blowout, they would have fed him more. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

At that situation field position is irrelevant. The kick should've been returned to get to the 2 minute warning. The Panthers have 1 TO. That means you get 1 minute 20 seconds to bleed from the clock. They got the ball back with like 55 seconds, so you could've theoretically killed another 40 seconds by returning it. Meaning the grounding play would've ended the game. Now it's all irrelevant with how the D stepped up on the last drive, but imagine if Samuel makes that catch after the grounding play.

Yes and no. It's not like our KR game has been killing it this entire season and not to denegrate the guy - but Mailik Taylor isnt my idea of a protypical return guy. So - we'll agree to disagree. Doesnt really matter in this case cause (apparently) the KO wasnt returnable.

I just re-watched that kickoff just before the two minute warning.  GB was lined up to protect against the onside kick (which was the right thing to do) and had a single player deep lined up at about the 5 yard line to cover a potential squib kick.  CAR kicked long, and the ball ended up landing about one yard past the back of the EZ.  Unless GB was willing to compromise the onside kick coverage to plan for a possible return, fielding the kick wasn't going to happen.