Week 15 Post Game: We Beat the Panthers! Yay!

mikebpackfan

37 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

LaFleur was kind of dreadful last night. Even when we scored on 3 straight, that's wasn't the offense from the first 4 games of the season. Was really quite stale and boring pre-snap and it didn't get much better post.

I'm not really a scheme guru, but even given the poor execution I was thinking the GB offense seemed unusually bland last night.  Guess it wasn't just me.

12 minutes ago, Donzo said:

I don't know how much the Panthers had to do with it. The receivers  didn't catch the ball a lot then didn't do much when they did catch it. And, the OL had a bad night.

Yeah, the drops were bad.  Early in the game, the run was setting the up the pass really well.  Then we had some drops and for whatever reason we stopped running the ball.  That’s about the time the Panthers aggressively ramped up the pressure on Rodgers.  If there’s one universal football truth, it’s that if you want to slow down the Packers, it starts with pressuring Rodgers.  Props to Carolina for that.

34 minutes ago, Donzo said:

I don't know how much the Panthers had to do with it. The receivers  didn't catch the ball a lot then didn't do much when they did catch it. And, the OL had a bad night.

They sat in a deep shell, which was why the run game was so effective, but we had no answer in the passing game. 

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Saw this live and thought to myself King must have gotten hurt, because what the actual **** is he doing here???

I remember this play, and several folks commented in the GDT about King’s terrible, lackadaisical coverage on that particular play.  I didn’t even notice him and Kirksey playing “stay away from the ball carrier”.  Dear God that looks bad.

Edited by Sasquatch

This played a lot like the Vikings and Colts games but the Panthers just aren't good enough to make us pay.  

I feel like being negative first this week.

-There is no reason that we should have punted 6 times against that team.  That is unacceptable.  That is on the entire offense, can't really single anyone out.  Didn't we double the amount of three and outs the Panthers forced on the season?

-JK Scott continues to be a liability.  And on the one good punt that he had, of course we miss a couple of tackles and give up a 20 yard return.  

-I think that this is the worst Chandon Sullivan has looked in coverage.  

-Christian Kirksey.  

Positive

+Amos, Savage, and Jaire played pretty well.  Jaire needs to get that interception in the endzone though.

+The combination of Barnes and Martin looks good.  I hope to see more of them in the future.

+Mason Crosby.

37 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Yeah, the drops were bad.  Early in the game, the run was setting the up the pass really well.  Then we had some drops and for whatever reason we stopped running the ball.  That’s about the time the Panthers aggressively ramped up the pressure on Rodgers.  If there’s one universal football truth, it’s that if you want to slow down the Packers, it starts with pressuring Rodgers.  Props to Carolina for that.

They definitely have some pieces on D and they fly around. We couldn’t match that intensity second half and we are lucky we were rolling early and had a turnover that was essentially a 14 point swing. Oh, and that Mason has ice in his veins. Carolina is better than their record, we’ll see what next year brings for them after likely losing their OC.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the entire team. It’s good to get it now and get it with the win. If this is going to go as we hope, we need to be ready to win against tough defenses, in the cold and hopefully in Lambeau. Next Sunday night should be another test before we get to the final.

• Like 1

Question about time management at the end. Why in the world do you not catch that kickoff in the back of the endzone and run off 4 seconds before taking a knee? Kickoff was at 2:04 and Panthers had 1 timeout left. By running off 4 seconds, you eliminate the 2 minute warning which was a free time out. Thus leaving them ~15 seconds left after we punted instead of over a minute, assuming everything else plays out as it did.

Am I missing something here? Some of these time management scenarios just seem like such common sense to me and it's baffling how infrequent most coaching staffs use it to their advantage.

Edit: yes I know the kickoff went through the back of the endzone but it did seem catchable

Edited by Hoodie89

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They sat in a deep shell, which was why the run game was so effective, but we had no answer in the passing game. 

Not sure why Dillon didnt get more snaps. If they're bringing him along slowly because of his COVID encounter - that might make sense. Otherwise, give the guy the ball!

Standard procedure for those teams with decent front DL groups: load up the box and bring the heat.  Invariably, the Packers have to shorten their passing game - start throwing an indordinate amount of "sideways" passes - WR screens etc - and a good tackling team (as CAR certainly is.....) can jump the routes / receptions and cut of YAC with sure tackling. 

AR was sacked five times - cant say how many hits he took, but I'm sure there were a few - and he was pressured on quite a few drop backs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

They definitely have some pieces on D and they fly around. We couldn’t match that intensity second half and we are lucky we were rolling early and had a turnover that was essentially a 14 point swing. Oh, and that Mason has ice in his veins. Carolina is better than their record, we’ll see what next year brings for them after likely losing their OC.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the entire team. It’s good to get it now and get it with the win. If this is going to go as we hope, we need to be ready to win against tough defenses, in the cold and hopefully in Lambeau. Next Sunday night should be another test before we get to the final.

Frankly, while we don’t absolutely need to win next weekend against the Titans, we kinda do.  Of the top 10 ranked teams, GB has a 1-2 record.  They beat the Saints and lost to the Colts and Bucs.  Going 1-3 into the playoffs against other playoff teams (potentially) doesn’t engender a lot of confidence that a 12-4 team can beat the best teams, in spite of the record.