Week 15: NYJ vs LA Rams

Bobby816

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I do too. But he isn’t helping himself at all. And going against the best defense this week, will really expose him. I think he has zero confidence and when that happens a player isn’t their self. This LA defense I think will rattle him bad today. And he might play so bad, to where we bench him today. I’d still think he’d start the rest of the way. But I could see Darnold just being so bad w ever him out of there today. 

Agreed.  Sam has the most trouble with pressure up the middle.  Even if there is little to no pressure, Sam's feet are moving anticipating the pressure which is why his accuracy is poor.  He is also paying too much attention to the opposing D and not going through his reads which is why he is not seeing wide open receivers.

If gase has any ******* clue (big IF), he will have Sam lined up in shotgun almost all game with a lot of designed rollouts and quick crossing patterns and slants.  Forget attempting anything deep.  Keep all the pass plays within 10-20 yds.  Off tackle runs, pitches, and a naked bootleg or two.  Hell, I would have practicing RPO all week in an effort to gain yards.

Here is what I predict will happen.  Gore up the middle for no gain everytime.  WR screens for no yards.  Sam under center getting crushed for at least 6 sacks.  At least one int on an out pattern and one on a slant.  Jets drop to 0-14.  gase claims the players practiced hard but just could not execute the game plan well enough at the presser.  Sound about right?

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Agreed.  Sam has the most trouble with pressure up the middle.  Even if there is little to no pressure, Sam's feet are moving anticipating the pressure which is why his accuracy is poor.  He is also paying too much attention to the opposing D and not going through his reads which is why he is not seeing wide open receivers.

If gase has any ******* clue (big IF), he will have Sam lined up in shotgun almost all game with a lot of designed rollouts and quick crossing patterns and slants.  Forget attempting anything deep.  Keep all the pass plays within 10-20 yds.  Off tackle runs, pitches, and a naked bootleg or two.  Hell, I would have practicing RPO all week in an effort to gain yards.

Here is what I predict will happen.  Gore up the middle for no gain everytime.  WR screens for no yards.  Sam under center getting crushed for at least 6 sacks.  At least one int on an out pattern and one on a slant.  Jets drop to 0-14.  gase claims the players practiced hard but just could not execute the game plan well enough at the presser.  Sound about right?

I think Sam gets pulled after his 3rd INT today.

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

If we bench the kid today please let that be the end of it. He cant read and react at an NFL level. He is a good athlete that could throw a good ball every now and then but people just seem to think a new HC will fix everything...these people are in for a rude awakening wherever he ends up. 

My only resistance would be, Sam unequivocally played his best football during the final stretch of his rookie season - his regression to this point is simply hard to fathom.

It wasn't just a coincidence though, that by every indication, he was coveted within league circles and among the 'experts' actually studying film. I don't intend on going down a rabbit hole attempting to discern what role Gase played in said regression, but point being, clearly things took a turn for the worst. It takes one GM/HC to resolve that Sam's regression has been a product of his environment, and if that distinction is determined, it becomes easy to buy into the promising rookie he once was.

As to your point, Sam would hardly be the first guy to benefit from a change of scenery... Plenty of examples exist to suggest the right coach can in fact 'fix everything'. Playing devils advocate here, so not to say I'd put my money on it, but certainly wouldn't be unprecedented.

24 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

This team is the first drive wonder. Competent football the first drive, garbage after that. 

That's what leaves me to believe our issues are more coaching related and less of a talent issue. Our coaching staff has no clue how to adapt at all.