Jared Goff - weak spot on the Rams?

BugzBunny101

10 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

When I say explosive, I mean the definition NFL uses with 'explosive plays'. Rams had more explosive plays than the typical Goff day. Sorry

If this is the definition you're operating with, sure - but "explosive" and "better" aren't hand-in-hand.

Sure, it's an "explosive" offense, but what's that worth when you put up zero points on offense? I'll take the non explosive offense that can put points up over the explosive offense that only gets FGs (which is also fact - Rams O had four more deep shots, but had to settle for FGs all day).

13 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Explosive plays mean distance. Wooly completed more than Goff has for 4 weeks. Fact

We scored zero offensive touchdowns yesterday, those explosive plays mean nothing if they don’t result in TDs. If it wasn’t for Troy Hill and Matt Gay we would’ve lost. This offense suffers the same troubles even with a different QB under center. We still can’t block consistently in the trenches and we still don’t scare defenses deep down field. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If this is the definition you're operating with, sure - but "explosive" and "better" aren't hand-in-hand.

Sure, it's an "explosive" offense, but what's that worth when you put up zero points on offense? I'll take the non explosive offense that can put points up over the explosive offense that only gets FGs (which is also fact - Rams O had four more deep shots, but had to settle for FGs all day).

I thought the NFL used 'explosive' and 'efficient' metrics. Explosive being yards per play.

Whether attempted and/or completed, I thought the Rams looked like they were going for more YPP than the last 4 or 5 weeks with Goff. That's all

Just now, NYRamsFan88 said:

We scored zero offensive touchdowns yesterday, those explosive plays mean nothing if they don’t result in TDs. 

Didn't say it meant anything, I just said Rams were more explosive. Which they were (completed or not). More yards per play were attempted than when Goff plays recently. 

17 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Didn't say it meant anything, I just said Rams were more explosive. Which they were (completed or not). More yards per play were attempted than when Goff plays recently. 

So... your point is rather irrelevant, all things considered.

22 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

I understand that, but what good does it do for us if we don’t score??? Being more explosive means nothing if you don’t score...our last four games with Goff we scored at least one offensive TD minus the Seahawks game. Last night we scored zero offensive TDs, not through the air or on the ground...

I see the same problems with Wolford in this offense as I do with Goff, without consistent blocking and a deep threat, it’ll be tough sledding for the offense....the only difference between the two is that Goff is the more experienced and the better thrower 

56 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Hey I got no dog in this fight but Goff has 13 interceptions and 5 fumbles to only 20 TD's.    That's....not great.   He's neither explosive nor is he terribly efficient. 

1 hour ago, Saint_James said:

Hey I got no dog in this fight but Goff has 13 interceptions and 5 fumbles to only 20 TD's.    That's....not great.   He's neither explosive nor is he terribly efficient. 

What is great is the Rams have the 11th best total offense, 12th best in 3rd down conversions, and 2nd best in time of possession. The Rams offense possesses the ball 32 minutes. The only team that is better is the Packers and they have the potential MVP in ARod. As for Goff not having but 20 tds that’s misleading because the Rams run the ball ALOT in the redzone. They have 18 rushing tds inside the 20yd line. When Goff actually throws in the redzone under McVay he has 48 tds to 1 int. So don’t focus so hard on the lack of passing tds. The only things you or anyone can say about Goff this season is his turnovers and him not hitting the deep balls like he did in 2017 and 2018. Honestly the deep balls comes down to having guys that can actually get separation and attack the ball. Rams don’t have that. As for turnovers they happen I just don’t need Goff to make the obviously bad turnovers like he did against Seattle.

Again I know after the Superbowl it’s been blast Goff at every turn but tbh it’s not as great as it seems or as bad as it seems. The Rams once again has a 10 win season and in the playoffs. Last season they would’ve won 10 games if Zuerlein makes the kick in Seattle and they would’ve made the playoffs. The sky isn’t falling. The Rams aren’t (7-9) with no hope. The only thing anyone can say is yes they could be better and I agree. They could be better and it does start with McVay and Goff. Sometimes I feel like McVay let the offense down, sometimes I feel like Goff let the offense down. Goff let the offense down in the Niners game in LA and against the Seattle in Seattle. McVay let the offense down in Miami. The team as a whole didn’t show up against the Niners in SF and the OL let the team down against the Jets in LA. Goff isn’t all of the blame every time the Rams lose is what I’m saying. Just like he shouldn’t get all of the praise when the Rams win BUT if I’m going to continue to listen or see Goff get blast no matter what then when the Rams win lay those games at his feet too. It can’t just be all one sided because it’s not fair. 

Edited by stl4life07

The offense has the chance to put up more points with Goff. It also has the likelihood of turning the ball over more.

Wolf seems like a safer option to keep the game low scoring and allow our defense to win the game. Utilizing our best asset. I'd feel more comfortable trying to win lower scoring games with Wolf then having Goff drop back 45+ times and risk him turning the ball over. 

Run the ball, control the clock, win the turnover battle, play great defense. 

Is it just me or did the Rams find something in Wolford?

After shedding the nerves early I thought he played pretty damn well for his first outing against a pretty good defense.  He showcased a lot of likeable traits. 

He looked comfortable sitting in the pocket for a little guy, side-stepped a few pressures and delivered some very nice balls. Ball placement was good on a ton of throws, and I recall his receivers (mainly Everett) letting him down on numerous occasions. Plus, he’s a capable runner and knows when to tuck it and run. I watched the whole game and was thoroughly entertained, and rooting for the guy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

As this is a thread about Goff and by extension, Rams QB play, it's only fair to point out that Wolford led us inside the two yard line twice - once Akers fumbled, once we had two guys jump offsides.

So Wolford played QB well enough for the Rams to score two TDs on offense, which is about the limit with Goff as well.

I was shocked to see how much we threw downfield - it was probably more than Goff's last three games combined, or at least that's what it felt like. Especially on early downs. Part of that was probably how the Cardinals were defending us, but with Goff every team plays within 10 yards of the LOS anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

After shedding the nerves early I thought he played pretty damn well for his first outing against a pretty good defense.  He showcased a lot of likeable traits. 

He looked comfortable sitting in the pocket for a little guy, side-stepped a few pressures and delivered some very nice balls. Ball placement was good on a ton of throws, and I recall his receivers (mainly Everett) letting him down on numerous occasions. Plus, he’s a capable runner and knows when to tuck it and run. I watched the whole game and was thoroughly entertained, and rooting for the guy.

I don't disagree, but..

Wolford just left enough to be desired to make next week a question - one that I'm really glad I don't have to answer.

Goff has been atrocious in his last three games, which includes an easy win over the Patriots - but the game before that he torched.......the Cardinals. So we have a one for one comparison where the offense definitely performed better with Goff.

But, would he have played well yesterday after having three consecutive stinkers?

If Wolford would have led the Rams up and down the field all game yesterday, this would be easy.

7 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

They did. That’s why McVay wasn’t going into the offseason searching for a QB. I’m sure he already knew what he had in the building with Wolford but since nobody haven’t seen him in the NFL outside of the preseason people assumed the Rams didn’t have a capable backup to Goff. Wolford really impressed me too. The Rams should’ve put up 30pts had Akers not fumbled, Everett not dropped a perfect ball in the end zone, and those two false starts that pushed the Rams back to make them settle for the field goal. 

Wolford is the first QB to have at least 200yds passing and at least 50yds rushing in a debut while being the first QB to debut in a game with the team playing in a playoff implicated game. So that’s pressure and he came through big time. 

• Like 1