Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

3 minutes ago, LargeFarva said:

Bull****

None of these people have any proof of this either. I saw someone on Reddit found three or four guys who were throwing fits when Casey made the PB and he found a thread about him leaving that had those guys same comments and they were all like good riddance, he sucks, he's only an inury prone slot.

All of them swore they were mad they left. They just need things to blame the staff for and they know nobody can verify their opinions.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

None of these people have any proof of this either. I saw someone on Reddit found three or four guys who were throwing fits when Casey made the PB and he found a thread about him leaving that had those guys same comments and they were all like good riddance, he sucks, he's only an inury prone slot.

All of them swore they were mad they left. They just need things to blame the staff for and they know nobody can verify their opinions.

It's especially obnoxious because for years fans whined about Ted not signing outside free agents and when he finally does now they're whining about not re-signing his own guys (Hayward, Hyde, Peppers).

Just now, LargeFarva said:

It's especially obnoxious because for years fans whined about Ted not signing outside free agents and when he finally does now they're whining about not re-signing his own guys (Hayward, Hyde, Peppers).

It goes to prove it doesn't matter. They just need to complain after the fact. 

We needed to sign free agents. But we got the wrong ones!!

We can't keep our guys just because they're draft picks. Unless they end up being good after!!

It doesn't matter man. The usual suspects will ALWAYS twist anything into a complaint until we are winning the SB virtually every year.

7 hours ago, strat1080 said:

I thought it was a huge mistake to let Hayward go. We didn't have any proven talent at the CB position with the exception of Shields and we saw what the result was last year. Ted Thompson's philosophy of always going with the younger guy is killing this team as our window is closing. Its sickening. I'm tired of seeing other teams making deals while TT sits around and does nothing. Look at what the Broncos did to build a great defense. They had a lousy defense in 2013 and got throttled in the Super Bowl. They then go out and rehaul their defensive scheme and they picked up some key guys like Aqib Talib, Demarcus Ware, and TJ Ward and some stopgap guys on DL. Talib was the Broncos version of our Woodson acquisition. They turned a lousy defense into a downright frightening defense in a couple years. We've got 4-5 years of Aaron Rodgers in his prime left. We are running out of time to be relying on young draft picks to develop on the defensive side of the ball.

I think this year Ted has done a good job bringing players in like Bennett, Dial, RJF, Brooks, House. 

I can agree with the main point of the post though, and it's something I have been saying for a bit now. Eventually we're going to have to be more aggressive in the off-season like The Broncos were to maximize our chances for a SB. They knew Manning had a few years left, and did what they had to do and I think/hope TT or whoever does the same thing when the time comes. 

It was a completely different scenario. Denver HAD that money because Josh McDaniels was an awful drafter and they had multiple entire draft classes not really worth resigning. This year, Thompson had Jones, Lacy, Hyde, Tretter, Peppers, and Shields all come off the cap

Also, I don't know that Denver completely rebuilt that defense as you say. In 2011, that defense was the only reason they made the playoffs (at 8-8) even in spite of Tebow being their QB.

11 hours ago, strat1080 said:

I thought it was a huge mistake to let Hayward go. We didn't have any proven talent at the CB position with the exception of Shields and we saw what the result was last year. Ted Thompson's philosophy of always going with the younger guy is killing this team as our window is closing. Its sickening. I'm tired of seeing other teams making deals while TT sits around and does nothing. Look at what the Broncos did to build a great defense. They had a lousy defense in 2013 and got throttled in the Super Bowl. They then go out and rehaul their defensive scheme and they picked up some key guys like Aqib Talib, Demarcus Ware, and TJ Ward and some stopgap guys on DL. Talib was the Broncos version of our Woodson acquisition. They turned a lousy defense into a downright frightening defense in a couple years. We've got 4-5 years of Aaron Rodgers in his prime left. We are running out of time to be relying on young draft picks to develop on the defensive side of the ball.

This is Skip Bayless level. You are literally trolling. Are you even a Packer fan?

1 minute ago, PackyAttacky said:

WE didn't have anywhere near that kind of money to go out and get that many people. Literally impossible, but lets itch about fantasy dream situations so I can pretend to be mad.

I understand that.  There's two types of ways of building a team, either draft and develop or go out and sign FA to build a team.  Not sure either one is more right than others, some will prefer the draft and develop approach while others prefer signing FA.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I understand that.  There's two types of ways of building a team, either draft and develop or go out and sign FA to build a team.  Not sure either one is more right than others, some will prefer the draft and develop approach while others prefer signing FA.

But to want impossible scenarios that could have never happened is BS.  I mean if TT doesnt sign EVERY FA I should want him fired so stupid.

...and Talib...how many teams decided he wasn't worth the headache?  I remember when he signed, at the time, it was huge money and considered a very large risk for a headcase like him.  Obviously it worked out, but it was still quite the risk.

Ware was coming off of a lot of years spent being injured.

Wasn't Ward cut not long after?

Seems to me like their defense benefited from some good drafting.  Wolfe.  Jackson.  Roby.  Trevathan.  They had a lot of home grown talent there too.  Oh, and they drafted a guy named Miller who ended up being pretty good.

2 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

But to want impossible scenarios that could have never happened is BS.  I mean if TT doesnt sign EVERY FA I should want him fired so stupid.

That's not really the issue I was getting at.  Being critical of a way a FO works isn't trolling, it's just being critical.  Instead of calling him a troll, point out how his version of events isn't accurate.  The Packers only had X amount of cap space that offseason, and they needed Y to sign all of those free agents.

Archived