Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

57 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

How would you guys defend Dallas? Curious who you try to shut down this week. Zeke, Dak, Dez, Witten?

I gotta say you stop the run, then make Dak beat you with accuracy. I’d try to get it to a game between he and HHCD. I think HHCD can get him.

I feel that has been what teams have done vs Dallas thus far.  Load the box to slow down the run game and make the passing game move the ball.  

My eye test so far this season vs my expectations:

+ Kenny Clark, even though I had high expectations. He's still so young too...

+ Nick Perry, again: high expectations but he is a bull out there. Needs that cast off.

+ Josh Jones. I thought he needed a year, but he looks like he belongs on the field.

+ Kevin King. Didn't expect him to be quite this good quite this fast. He's going to be a stud.

+ Blake Martinez. He seems to be all over the field. + in run game so far.

- HHCD. He looks gangly out there, lot of missteps, not fluid. Bad tackle attempts, slow to be in a playmaking position.

- Clay Matthews. I had pretty high expectations. He's not playing badly, he's just not as big of a factor as I thought a healthy CMIII would be.

- Damarious Randall. I was expecting an improvement on 2015. Really hoping this pick-6 screws his head on right.

- Quentin Rollins. Didn't have really high expectations, but he just isn't that good.

Everyone else appears (to me) to be playing about at where I expected them to be.

- Dean Lowry - I thought he would be a bit more effective in the sub packages.

+ Hawkins - he's just way better than Gunter in all aspects of NFL football.  He's also a lot better than Rollins.

+ Brice (for me) - I kind of expected him to be a bust.  He's up and down, but he holds his own.

I also think Clay is playing well, but pretty much on par with what I expected.

10 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

- Dean Lowry - I thought he would be a bit more effective in the sub packages.

+ Hawkins - he's just way better than Gunter in all aspects of NFL football.  He's also a lot better than Rollins.

+ Brice (for me) - I kind of expected him to be a bust.  He's up and down, but he holds his own.

I also think Clay is playing well, but pretty much on par with what I expected.

good call on Lowry, I almost included him but I wasn't super high on him either. Agreed on the other 3 (i had loftier expectations for CMIII than many).

Anyone else concerned a TE that runs a 5.9 can't be covered by this defense? All this time I thought it was Hyde but now convinced this scheme still has no answers for good TE's, can t wait to play Detroit,  #87 will become a pro bowler after that game.

18 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Anyone else concerned a TE that runs a 5.9 can't be covered by this defense? All this time I thought it was Hyde but now convinced this scheme still has no answers for good TE's, can t wait to play Detroit,  #87 will become a pro bowler after that game.

We played a lot of zone on the plays he was open. He is the best I have ever seen at sniffing out openings in zone coverage. I don't think he had a catch manned up on anyone but I could be wrong. Not really all that concerning. We have been pretty good against TE all year. 

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

why not. He's playing chess while the rest of us are playing checkers.

Yep, we are so fortunate. Most D coordinators try to confuse the offense. Dom confuses the offense and the defense for ultimate confusion. 

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

Zero concern about Jason witten heading into the game, and he wasn't much of a factor.

Archived