Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

2 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Both safeties starting the play next to each other between the hashes? Dom you crazy

Edit: Anyone know why the Gif isn't showing up?

first guess would be make sure the url ends with .gif. Lots of sites give you the link as .gify these days and it doesn't always play well with embedding. Usually it's easy enough to just delete the "y" off the end and it will play fine, depending on the host.

Through 4 games, the D is giving up an average of 16.75 points a game. That is pretty impressive given the injuries and youth and a whole lot better than last year's 24.7 average.

The best defensive player, Daniels has played 1 game and 1 series in another game.

Meanwhile, the top 3 CBs from game 2 on last season have been cut (Gunter), benched/seen reduced playing time (Randall), and banished (Rollins). The replacements for Randall and Rollins tonight were King and Hawkins with House out for the second game in a row. 

I think the D has a chance, a chance mind you, to be a top 10 unit if the improved CB play continues.

To me the play of the D is the most significant development, along with all the unbelievable injuries, of the first quarter of the season.

18 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Through 4 games, the D is giving up an average of 16.75 points a game. That is pretty impressive given the injuries and youth and a whole lot better than last year's 24.7 average.

The best defensive player, Daniels has played 1 game and 1 series in another game.

Meanwhile, the top 3 CBs from game 2 on last season have been cut (Gunter), benched/seen reduced playing time (Randall), and banished (Rollins). The replacements for Randall and Rollins tonight were King and Hawkins with House out for the second game in a row. 

I think the D has a chance, a chance mind you, to be a top 10 unit if the improved CB play continues.

To me the play of the D is the most significant development, along with all the unbelievable injuries, of the first quarter of the season.

yep, and 7 in this game are garbage points too.

LIS early, top 10 unit. People didn't want to believe. But 4 weeks into the season we are a top 3 scoring defense.

The best defensive player isn't Daniels.  I don't care who you voted for in the offseason polls.

It's Perry or Matthews; has been, and will be until they are finally hurt.  It's time for people to give Matthews his props.  He won this game, and he's been good in every game so far.

Bears were not a challenge and had to play from WAY behind because of a Giraffe at QB who air mailed passes to the African Savannah.  Best possible situation for this defense vs a Bears team that needed to run the ball to win.  Feels like 2 non-games given the ineptitude by SEA and CHI.  Still, this D is going as far as Clay and Nick take us.

6 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

The best defensive player isn't Daniels.  I don't care who you voted for in the offseason polls.

It's Perry or Matthews; has been, and will be until they are finally hurt.  It's time for people to give Matthews his props.  He won this game, and he's been good in every game so far.

Bears were not a challenge and had to play from WAY behind because of a Giraffe at QB who air mailed passes to the African Savannah.  Best possible situation for this defense vs a Bears team that needed to run the ball to win.  Feels like 2 non-games given the ineptitude by SEA and CHI.  Still, this D is going as far as Clay and Nick take us.

He beat a TE for a sack, nice play but come on.  It isn't even close between Matthews and Daniels, it's Daniels by a mile.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In fairness, we've played 3 punchless offenses, but damn when this team gets healthy it's going to be good as hell.

and when Jones/King get later into the season and get some experience.  Maybe we'll even get something out of Adams/Biegel too at some point

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In fairness, we've played 3 punchless offenses, but damn when this team gets healthy it's going to be good as hell.

About how I feel.  Optimistic, but would like to see what they can do when fully healthy against a competent offensive unit and QB.  

Next week vs Dallas will be a better test vs the Glennon led Bears

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

About how I feel.  Optimistic, but would like to see what they can do when fully healthy against a competent offensive unit and QB.  

Next week vs Dallas will be a better test vs the Glennon led Bears

This this and this

So far nothing new. We have feasted on bad QB play and poor teams in the past as well. Unfortunately we won't see many of those teams come playoff time. Wake me up when we hold a competent team under 30

Clay Matthews has been a big reason why our defense has been so steady, he's really had a good season.

Clark, Martinez and Burnett are the other three who I feel have come up big.

I said at the beginning of the season that if Matthews and Perry hold up, the D will be fine. I would like to add, if King and Hawkins progress, I think this D can be very good. 

Archived