Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

11 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I think he's done a really nice job of playing football. By that I mean he's all over the place making plays. At times in the last couple years I felt like if he wasn't getting a sack he'd just disappear.  This year he's been very good at containing the edge and back to being really good dropping off the los into coverage. Not pro bowl Clay but damn solid play. 

Clay has played in all 5 games thus far.   That in and of itself is meaningful.  He is making plays, less splash and more solid fundamental ones that help keep things steady in performance.

58 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Did I link the thread where I posted the gif of every pass play in that game and challenged them to point out one example of holding?

I've seen that so many times other places if you didn't. There was an article on some Lions site that countered a game against them their side put up that showed they held just as much. Good times . I feel bad.

Again if lionsfanfb existed instead of ours. He'd be in a padded room :)

5 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

What do you guys think is the best plan, bring back Burnett and keep Josh Jones at ILB OR let Burnett walk and move Jones to SS?

Meaning in the off-season of course.

Before this year I may have said let him walk but he's probably our best secondary player at this time and I think letting him walk would be a mistake.

13 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Yep. Can't afford to let good players(especially in the secondary) walk. They're feeling the effects of it by letting Hayward go. Can't make the same mistake again. You can never have enough DB's in this league

Are we?  I really want to dig up some of these quotes about Hayward, because a LARGE majority of Packers posters were ready to jettison him to Siberia.

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are we?  I really want to dig up some of these quotes about Hayward, because a LARGE majority of Packers posters were ready to jettison him to Siberia.

In hindsight, we are feeling the affects. Hayward is a very good player and would be nice here. I forget where I was on this issue but I generally don't like letting younger players go.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think the biggest take was was Hayward worth what the Bills eventually paid him.  I don't think folks wanted to keep him but not at that price.  

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The team is definitely feeling the effects of letting him walk I'd say. He'd be the vet in the group right now providing steady play. RIght now GB's CB group is young and full of question marks still

1 minute ago, deltarich87 said:

The team is definitely feeling the effects of letting him walk I'd say. He'd be the vet in the group right now providing steady play. RIght now GB's CB group is young and full of question marks still

We needed a boundary corner, and we saw him play on the boundary (go watch the Broncos game from a few years ago) and it wasn't pretty.  Would he be a better option as the slot corner?  Probably, but we've also seen that Morgan Burnett can play that role pretty darn well.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

We needed a boundary corner, and we saw him play on the boundary (go watch the Broncos game from a few years ago) and it wasn't pretty.  Would he be a better option as the slot corner?  Probably, but we've also seen that Morgan Burnett can play that role pretty darn well.

Yea he struggled outside going up against Demaryius Thomas in that game, I remember. My main stance at the time was that we already knew, at the worst, Hayward was a good slot CB and was still young enough for more growth. That made him worth keeping around in my book.

Just now, deltarich87 said:

Yea he struggled outside going up against Demaryius Thomas in that game, I remember. My main stance at the time was that we already knew, at the worst, Hayward was a good slot CB and was still young enough for more growth. That made him worth keeping around in my book.

I guess I'm more of the belief that you don't pay big money to slot corners, but that might just be me.

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

Yep. Can't afford to let good players(especially in the secondary) walk. They're feeling the effects of it by letting Hayward go. Can't make the same mistake again. You can never have enough DB's in this league

I don’t necessarily think they’re the same situation. Hayward was a 26-yr old coming off a rookie deal. Burnett will be 29 & looking for his 3rd contract. Whether or not you can ”afford” it depends on the $ cost and where else that same $ might be spent. They afforded letting Sitton & Lang go. 

Archived