Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We needed a boundary corner, and we saw him play on the boundary (go watch the Broncos game from a few years ago) and it wasn't pretty.  Would he be a better option as the slot corner?  Probably, but we've also seen that Morgan Burnett can play that role pretty darn well.

He played quite a bit of boundary corner that season, not just the Broncos game.  That was really the only bad game he had.

3 hours ago, pollino14 said:

In hindsight, we are feeling the affects. Hayward is a very good player and would be nice here. I forget where I was on this issue but I generally don't like letting younger players go.

Hayward sucked for us.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We needed a boundary corner, and we saw him play on the boundary (go watch the Broncos game from a few years ago) and it wasn't pretty.  Would he be a better option as the slot corner?  Probably, but we've also seen that Morgan Burnett can play that role pretty darn well.

He's playing the boundary in SD, and has been elite. I was fine letting him go, but if you're allowed to use the gift of hindsight there's no way you can say it hasn't hurt us. 

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He's playing damn well as a boundary corner in SD. Maybe its not the player...

34 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

LIS, it's the Cover 3 scheme that SD was playing.  I'm not sure they were doing the same thing this year though, and he's struggled this year vs some larger receivers from what I watched (Thomas again this year).

I didn't watch that game but Thomas had 5 for 67.

I could live with that.

1 minute ago, pollino14 said:

No he didn't. Especially his rookie year. Was injured a couple times as well

He was super promising as a rookie and then sucked after. Maybe injuries played a part but he was pretty much garbage for the majority of his tenure in GB. Great rookie year, decent last half season and that's it.

2 minutes ago, jontat83 said:

Clark looks like an absolute beast right now. The film junkies on social media are absolutely raving about him.

Looking at some of the clips against Frederick last game I can see why. The scary thing is he is only 22! :o

Links please!

3 hours ago, pollino14 said:

No he didn't. Especially his rookie year. Was injured a couple times as well

I thought it was a huge mistake to let Hayward go. We didn't have any proven talent at the CB position with the exception of Shields and we saw what the result was last year. Ted Thompson's philosophy of always going with the younger guy is killing this team as our window is closing. Its sickening. I'm tired of seeing other teams making deals while TT sits around and does nothing. Look at what the Broncos did to build a great defense. They had a lousy defense in 2013 and got throttled in the Super Bowl. They then go out and rehaul their defensive scheme and they picked up some key guys like Aqib Talib, Demarcus Ware, and TJ Ward and some stopgap guys on DL. Talib was the Broncos version of our Woodson acquisition. They turned a lousy defense into a downright frightening defense in a couple years. We've got 4-5 years of Aaron Rodgers in his prime left. We are running out of time to be relying on young draft picks to develop on the defensive side of the ball.

Archived