Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Hayward would not have had the success he's having in SD if he had stayed in GB.  Very confident in that.

Hayward is still just the #2 corner on SD.  He got all those INTs last year because people threw at him.

Verrett is on IR and missed games last year I think?

Once someone says they thought losing Hayward was a huge mistake in March of 2016 I stop reading their post, because they are lying and there is about to be some sort of poorly thought out agenda being pushed.

I'd love 2016-17 Hayward on this roster, but after what Randall and Rollins did in 2015, I had little reason to want him then.

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Verrett is on IR and missed games last year I think?

yeah.  Guess what I saw was just Hayward playing one side all the time and not traveling with the opposing top WR.

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Once someone says they thought losing Hayward was a huge mistake in March of 2016 I stop reading their post, because they are lying and there is about to be some sort of poorly thought out agenda being pushed.

I'd love 2016-17 Hayward on this roster, but after what Randall and Rollins did in 2015, I had little reason to want him then.

This is very true.  I made a thread suggesting veteran CB help prior to last year (nothing to do with Hayward specifically) throwing out some options like Leon Hall (#humblebrag) and the consensus even then was "no way we don't need a vet".  @CWood21 consistently made the point that Hayward couldn't cut it as an outside CB, citing the Denver game as perfect example.  No one argued with that then, and they shouldn't now.

Hayward just didn't quite fit at outside CB for our scheme.  Kudos to SD for making it work with him and getting the most out of his abilities.

Not to dogpile this thing...corners that have left GB, but....Micah Hyde has 4 interceptions in 5 games for Buffalo.  And I currently view him and viewed him in the past like Hayward.  It is okay to move on without them.  Now, if Burnett leaves, Jones gets injured and Ha Ha keeps playing like he has this year...well, then that whole conversation takes a different turn.  Much like what happened when Randall and Rollins regressed.

But that doesn't mean we can watch a former Packers success and be happy for him.  It wasn't wrong to move on from each player.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Not to dogpile this thing...corners that have left GB, but....Micah Hyde has 4 interceptions in 5 games for Buffalo.  And I currently view him and viewed him in the past like Hayward.  It is okay to move on without them.  Now, if Burnett leaves, Jones gets injured and Ha Ha keeps playing like he has this year...well, then that whole conversation takes a different turn.  Much like what happened when Randall and Rollins regressed.

But that doesn't mean we can watch a former Packers success and be happy for him.  It wasn't wrong to move on from each player.

FWIW.... Two of his interceptions are on tipped balls and the other two are on balls thrown up for grabs. His production has been great but it's not like he's suddenly manning up and playing great in coverage. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Did anyone actually say on this website they would have kept him for what he was paid. I swear nobody did. I swear I said I'll laugh when Hyde gets his first pick and everyone is mad.

Remember Jumal Rolle lol

Bleeding talent isn't good but it also means we had excess. I can't handle we keep too many picks then hearing we don't keep enough.

43 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Bowman not a fit IMO.  He replaces Jake Ryan I guess, and could be an improvement, but is Jake Ryan really playing many snaps?

He's an above average two down linebacker. This isn't 4.4 cover everyone Bowman. But who would know. Why would anyone subject themselves to watching that team lol

Archived