Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Pass rush is my only concern, wasn't very good last night, and it hasn't been since week 1.

Hopefully as Perry's cast shrinks and we get Daniels back we'll get better. 

Pass rush did force 2 TOs including a nearly direct 7pts against a very solid OL. Felt they did more than enough last night.

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

Clay Matthews has been a big reason why our defense has been so steady, he's really had a good season.

Clark, Martinez and Burnett are the other three who I feel have come up big.

I said at the beginning of the season that if Matthews and Perry hold up, the D will be fine. I would like to add, if King and Hawkins progress, I think this D can be very good. 

And when House and especially Daniels returns our D should be a very good indeed.

I like this defense in December. I do think we are going to have at least a couple dumpster fires inbetween that though. They need Daniels to push the pocket back so bad. Unfortunately, none of our other penetrating d linemen have really showed much up to this point. Mathews had multiple instances of being just a foot away from the QB. If the defense pushes that pocket at all up the middle I think he ends up with at least two sacks yesterday. 

Run D has been surprisingly good. I love it when you see the RB stretch it out and the defensive players just do there jobs. Having House back will be huge going forward. I think putting King on the number 2 with House on the number 1 more often than not will really clean up this secondary. The one problem I still have is the tackling in the secondary has to improve. That TD at the end of the half was totally on just allowing way too much YAC. 

Not much substantial to add but I'm surprised we've seen so little of Brooks. He doesn't get in the game often at all but I've seen at least 2 "still got it" plays a game from him each of the last two games on those limited snaps. Is he just that one-dimensional or poorly conditioned that Fackrell is getting so many more snaps? I haven't noticed Fackrell being used heavily in non-traditional roles so much that I think the former is the case. Just old and easily winded, then?

31 minutes ago, Acrid Josher said:

Not much substantial to add but I'm surprised we've seen so little of Brooks. He doesn't get in the game often at all but I've seen at least 2 "still got it" plays a game from him each of the last two games on those limited snaps. Is he just that one-dimensional or poorly conditioned that Fackrell is getting so many more snaps? I haven't noticed Fackrell being used heavily in non-traditional roles so much that I think the former is the case. Just old and easily winded, then?

He played in over 50% of the defensive snaps last night.

1 hour ago, Acrid Josher said:

vs. CHI:

Brooks= 37 snaps

Fackrell= 24 snaps

since Brooks' return from injury:

Brooks= 69 snaps

Fackrell= 65 snaps

I'm saddened by a lack of big plays in the secondary. We have turnovers, but both picks last night really had more to do with the pass rush. I get so jealous when I see corners/safeties on other teams jumping routes

I miss the days of Shields and Tramon catching those contested balls/jumping routes. 

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

vs. CHI:

Brooks= 37 snaps

Fackrell= 24 snaps

since Brooks' return from injury:

Brooks= 69 snaps

Fackrell= 65 snaps

I forgot about his injury. That explain why before last night he had all of 38 snaps this year.

Anyone notice much of note in the other 29 snaps besides a nice run stop on a zone left and a pressure from last night?

7 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I'm saddened by a lack of big plays in the secondary. We have turnovers, but both picks last night really had more to do with the pass rush. I get so jealous when I see corners/safeties on other teams jumping routes

I miss the days of Shields and Tramon catching those contested balls/jumping routes. 

Yup, rarely see anything like that out of this secondary. Watching NFL Redzone during the day you'll see countless coverage INT's - **** Rodger's thrown 3 of those type of balls already this season. GB's C-backs simply rarely come up with them.

I'm seeing a lot more zone than I thought I would .  I'm going to be really happy and interested to see what we do with House outside with King.  I"m hoping to see some press man with zone principles underneath.

Josh Jones has proven to be a nice addition to the defense already.

I"m looking forward to seeing what Adams and Biegle can bring to the defense as well.

Point being....the D is playing some pretty good football, even without Daniels.  And it could get better when some new/fresh legs get in there.  It is coming together.

tidbit From McGinn:

Packers cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt recently moved from the press box to the field on game days. Assistant linebackers coach Scott McCurley went from the field to the press box.

“Just with all the different roster and the movement of particularly our corners,” McCarthy said. “We brought Joe down … against Cincinnati.”

How would you guys defend Dallas? Curious who you try to shut down this week. Zeke, Dak, Dez, Witten?

I gotta say you stop the run, then make Dak beat you with accuracy. I’d try to get it to a game between he and HHCD. I think HHCD can get him.

4 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

How would you guys defend Dallas? Curious who you try to shut down this week. Zeke, Dak, Dez, Witten?

I gotta say you stop the run, then make Dak beat you with accuracy. I’d try to get it to a game between he and HHCD. I think HHCD can get him.

I don't think there's any question at all that you make the passing attack have to beat you.

Archived