Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

For reference, the Patriots are dead last by a significant margin.

Do you have a site that takes out points scored from pick sixes/fumble returns etc.?  All the main ones seem to ignore those things and have us at 18th.  If we take out the 2 touchdowns given up by the offense this year then that puts them at 5th but what about all of the other teams?  

1 hour ago, KFP7 said:

Do you have a site that takes out points scored from pick sixes/fumble returns etc.?  All the main ones seem to ignore those things and have us at 18th.  If we take out the 2 touchdowns given up by the offense this year then that puts them at 5th but what about all of the other teams?  

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-offensive-points-per-game

36 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Very helpful link thanks.

Played 2 bad offenses and maybe the best one in the NFL so far, and if the D can remain in the top 10 in points allowed going forward that would really be awesome.

Would be accurate to say that the D was more responsible than the O for the Seattle win and equally (if not more) responsible for the Cincy win. That is significant progress.

I predicted that, despite all the injuries, the D would give up no more than 17 points on Sunday and see them holding the Bears to 14 or fewer on Thursday. 

Then, hopefully, hopefully, Daniels, Perry, and House get healthy for the game against Dallas.

We've had some terrible drives during the first half of the Atlanta and Cinci games but considering the opponents played and injuries sustained we've done pretty good. I'm very excited for King and Jones and there seems to be some hope for Randall (not so much Rollins). These guys are young and we should see some improvement during the season, so I'm really not as down on the unit as I was before (or during the first 3 drives vs the Bengals when I would have fired just about anyone).

It's still worrying that we can't seem to generate takeaways. Someone said we're 31st on that metric but on some other place I looked I saw us dead last with just one forced fumble and zero INTs. Takeaways are supposed to be Capers' identity - get a lead and force the opposing teams into mistakes and all that jazz. The lack of takeaways paired with Rodgers' uncharacteristic INT streak is turning the whole thing upside down.

3 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

We've had some terrible drives during the first half of the Atlanta and Cinci games but considering the opponents played and injuries sustained we've done pretty good. I'm very excited for King and Jones and there seems to be some hope for Randall (not so much Rollins). These guys are young and we should see some improvement during the season, so I'm really not as down on the unit as I was before (or during the first 3 drives vs the Bengals when I would have fired just about anyone).

It's still worrying that we can't seem to generate takeaways. Someone said we're 31st on that metric but on some other place I looked I saw us dead last with just one forced fumble and zero INTs. Takeaways are supposed to be Capers' identity - get a lead and force the opposing teams into mistakes and all that jazz. The lack of takeaways paired with Rodgers' uncharacteristic INT streak is turning the whole thing upside down.

We need a lead to force a team into bad plays..............we haven't had many yet this year. Our offense needs to pull up their shorts.

At the risk of coming across as unduly optimistic about the D, it is worth pointing out that beginning in week 2 last year, the top 3 CBs on the roster were Randall, Rollins, and Gunter. In other words, 3 second year players, two of whom later sustained significant injuries during the season. 

Fast forward to 2017, Gunter has been cut. An apparently healthy Rollins is buried on the bench and an injury-free Randall appears headed to the slot once House returns.

I think the CB talent upgrade with the additions of King and House is a significant reason the D might perform better throughout this season.

PS I really hope a week from now MM does not announce that House will be out indefinitely and King "has a knee" or "an elbow" or any other injury!!

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It isn't just that we have no interceptions.  We haven't even come close.  Closest thing was HHCD taking the awful angle on the trap that was set in Atlanta on Julio's crossing route.  Am I missing anything else that was close to an INT?

Randall had an interception against Seattle, just didn't finish. I believe he was on Lockett and he went over the top of him and almost intercepted it.

The fact of the matter is they always seem to come in bunches and honestly when the other team is pressing on offense.

The last 2 weeks we have been in catch up mood, all game long for both games. The defense hasn't played with a lead a lot, so far. So they aren't dealing with a QB and offense trying to keep pace with Aaron... that's when opposing offenses start taking chances and mistakes happen.

Archived