Arm Strength Comparison

NeptunePenguins

Surprised Terry Bradshaw hasnt been mentioned by someone. While the replay films aren't exactly the best quality his arm strength still popped off the screen. 

Marino had a cannon and made it look effortless.

Favre and Elway generated a ridiculous amount of torque with their bodies.

Vick flicked it and had a ton of zip, I'd have liked to see him really unload with normal mechanics. 

Boller and Cutler could sling it like hell but often the accuracy dropped dramatically 

Stafford in his prime had a rocket. 

Leaf had a bazooka but somehow lacked even buckshot accuracy. 

Mahomes and Allen are in a league of their own for those currently playing. 

• Like 1

I’ve been watching since about 1980.

Three strongest arms I’ve seen: John Elway, Brett  Favre, Josh Allen

Three most accurate arms I’ve seen: Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers

Best combination of accuracy and arm strength (best all around arms): Dan Marino, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes

My list only includes good QBs (no Jamarcus Russells).

Arm strength can be really tricky to judge. I think a large majority of QBs effectively have a cannon if they can step into their throw (and by effectively I mean if they threw any harder it would be hard to handle, and that they can always get enough distance). Exceptions? Sure, and there's probably some intermediate balls on a rope that you truly need a Josh Allen to complete, but 9 times out of 10 if a QB has the time he can make any throw... All that leads me to my conclusion that what separates weak arms from average arms from rockets is off platform throwing. Whether it's backfoot, rolling, etc. Nobody considers Brady to have a rocket arm, but a ton of his throws go very far or are ZIPPED in there, and there's no throw he can't make from the pocket. He's got a compact release and elite pocket presence which allows him to almost always step into his throw, effectively giving him a cannon. It's only if you're pressuring him and forcing him to throw off platform that you'd see the gap between him and Josh Allen.

Right now I think the cannon arms are Allen, Mahomes, Lamar, Rodgers, Stafford, Wentz, Flacco, Kyler, probably a few others I am forgetting. Allen and Mahomes may be in a tier of their own. 

Historical cannons: Marino, Favre, Elway, Vick, Jeff George

Legends w/ average arms: Montana, Warner, Fouts

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Arm strength can be really tricky to judge. I think a large majority of QBs effectively have a cannon if they can step into their throw (and by effectively I mean if they threw any harder it would be hard to handle, and that they can always get enough distance). Exceptions? Sure, and there's probably some intermediate balls on a rope that you truly need a Josh Allen to complete, but 9 times out of 10 if a QB has the time he can make any throw... All that leads me to my conclusion that what separates weak arms from average arms from rockets is off platform throwing. Whether it's backfoot, rolling, etc. Nobody considers Brady to have a rocket arm, but a ton of his throws go very far or are ZIPPED in there, and there's no throw he can't make from the pocket. He's got a compact release and elite pocket presence which allows him to almost always step into his throw, effectively giving him a cannon. It's only if you're pressuring him and forcing him to throw off platform that you'd see the gap between him and Josh Allen.

Right now I think the cannon arms are Allen, Mahomes, Lamar, Rodgers, Stafford, Wentz, Flacco, Kyler, probably a few others I am forgetting. Allen and Mahomes may be in a tier of their own. 

Historical cannons: Marino, Favre, Elway, Vick, Jeff George

Legends w/ average arms: Montana, Warner, Fouts

In response to this I don't think anyone throws better off-platform than Rodgers. 

12 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

was watching some highlight tape last night and even though he was generally not good, I still cannot believe how strong Jeff George's arm was. His release was absolutely insane as well. 

Jeff George was good at the on-field parts of playing QB. It was the whole "not being a completely self-centered jerk" part of leading a team that he failed at.