Arm Strength Comparison

NeptunePenguins

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

All of the Qb's quoted above are widely regarded as some of the best of all-time but only 2 of which are considered as having the "strongest arms"--- Favre and Elway ( maybe, depending on who you ask).

Meanwhile, there are "strong armed Qbs" mentioned such as Boller, Vick, Jamarcus, and I would throw in Cutler in this as well.

This is slightly off-topic but this should tell people one simple thing. A QB having the ability to throw the ball the 70+ yards should not carry as much weight as it seems to do when evaluating a QB. Other tangibles like accuracy at different ranges, decisions under pressure, etc, should always come first on the priority list, IMO.  I mean, how often is a QB put in a position where he has to throw that 60-70 yards downfield in a real game?  Most throws are within 5-25 yards in todays game. 

mahomes to hill at least twice a game usually for a TD.

23 hours ago, Asciimo said:

mahomes to hill at least twice a game usually for a TD.

Oh WOW! You just took the word exaggeration to the highest of all extreme levels here.  In fact, I don't even think you could even call this an exaggeration. 

Not even the great Mahomes throws the ball 70 yards downfield. Much less atleast twice a game for TDs. 

MY god. I know there are fans out there who have expressed just how exhausted they are with all of the Mahomes hype and whatnot and I personally have never fallen into that. But honestly, it's posts like these that help me better understand why people are on that boat and even make me question whether I should actually come a board because this is starting to get way out of hand. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Oh WOW! You just took the word exaggeration to the highest of all extreme levels here.  In fact, I don't even think you could even call this an exaggeration. 

Not even the great Mahomes throws the ball 70 yards downfield. Much less atleast twice a game for TDs. 

MY god. I know there are fans out there who have expressed just how exhausted they are with all of the Mahomes hype and whatnot and I personally have never fallen into that. But honestly, it's posts like these that help me better understand why people are on that boat and even make me question whether I should actually come a board because this is starting to get way out of hand. 

i said *usually* for a TD.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:15 AM, Packer_ESP said:

The top 5 air yard passes in 2019 were for 59-60 yards and none of them were Mahomes. They probably missed the 32 60-70 yard passes you mention.

Did you know that Mahomes throws it so hard - his ball goes all the way around the earth and his WRs can only catch it on the 2nd orbit.
Average Mahomes throw is around 25,000 miles and it lights up the sky upon re-entry.

• Like 2

Michael Vick - #1 on my list.

Ryan Mallett - Very high on my list when it comes to arm strength.  He had power AND accuracy. 

Brett Favre - The old gunslinger himself.

Warren Moon - He's one of the old school guys who had a fairly strong arm.  Maybe just below Favre, but he threw a beautiful ball.

Jay Cutler - Another one with a very strong arm and his deep passes were just a sight to see.

Jeff George - Very quick release and could throw it very hard.

Dan Fouts - I'm not sure how hard he threw it, but I remember watching a Chargers game where he threw bomb after bomb and they were really deep passes.  I remember being incredibly impressed by his passing.

Matthew Stafford - In his younger days he could really throw it.

Tavaris Jackson - Brad "Chilly" Childress summed it up best:  "He has a big hose and he knows what to do with it."  :D

McNabb maybe? 

Uncle Rico - He can throw it over a mountain.

Edited by Uncle Buck

18 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Rodgers definitely not in the top few all time arm strength, but I would think he has to be in the top few off-platform arm strength. Admittedly the older guys I have not seen much of

I dunno, I feel like when Rodgers makes the decision that a ball needs to get there NOW, it does. 

I'm talking about plays where they're doing super-slo mo, and instead of seeing the ball come into the frame, it just APPEARS. 

I'm not sure how you measure that, because Rodgers is more often a touch/timing guy, so he doesn't uncork passes like that very often, but when he does, it's remarkable. 

I feel like Steve Young was similar - people don't talk about his big arm, but he got the ball there in a hurry when he needed to. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 1