Week 16: Panthers at Football Team

turtle28

Just now, MKnight82 said:

The guy just seems like a knucklehead.  I don't think he was working out here no matter what.  He needed to go somewhere with a disciplinarian.  Getting handpicked by the owner as the savior did nothing good for his ego.  

Pittsburgh probably would be a good place for him.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

The zero offseason with a brand new coaching staff and system probably didn't help one lick either.

If I am a team with a veteran QB nearing the end (cough Tampa Bay/Pittsburgh cough) I take a flier on Haskins and see if I can't get him to straighten out.  

This kid goes from beating out Joe Burrow and finishing third in the Heisman race, to a team where the coaching staff wanted nothing to do with him, and then in his second off-season having it be disrupted by a global pandemic while trying to learn a new staff and system.  

Mind you, counting interim coaches, Haskins has now had five coaches in the span of two years, and went through three offensive systems, three offensive coordinators, and three QB coaches, and of course, drafted to the standard-bearer franchise for dysfunction.  

If I've got that veteran QB, I absolutely take a mid-draft flier on trying to figure out Haskins.  

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Also, I don’t know why people are acting like Samuel would be an option here? I’m pretty sure Rivera and Turner benched him to oblivion last season....unless I read that wrong 

I don’t know if Samuel was benched in Carolina last year but he ended the season with 54 recs, 627 yds & 6 TDs so, it seems to me he played a pivotal role in their offense last year and I’m sure they’d love to add him.

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

If I am a team with a veteran QB nearing the end (cough Tampa Bay/Pittsburgh cough) I take a flier on Haskins and see if I can't get him to straighten out.  

This kid goes from beating out Joe Burrow and finishing third in the Heisman race, to a team where the coaching staff wanted nothing to do with him, and then in his second off-season having it be disrupted by a global pandemic while trying to learn a new staff and system.  

Mind you, counting interim coaches, Haskins has now had five coaches in the span of two years, and went through three offensive systems, three offensive coordinators, and three QB coaches, and of course, drafted to the standard-bearer franchise for dysfunction.  

If I've got that veteran QB, I absolutely take a mid-draft flier on trying to figure out Haskins.  

I agree with you on Pittsburgh. A combination of sitting under Roethlisberger (a QB he probably could be compared to) as well as being coached/tough-loved by Tomlin could do him wonders. Or drum him out of the league.

Tampa ... not as sure of that being a fit there. Not sure Arians is the right coach for what Haskins needs. It could still work (they've got the pieces around there), but that would be a riskier play.

A dark horse option: New Orleans. Yes they have Taysom Hill, but he's also 32-33.

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Pittsburgh has young QBs on their roster who actually can run their offense, Rudolph & Dobbs. I guess Tampa could sign him and make him their 3rd QB behind Brady & Gabbert. 

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I agree with you on Pittsburgh. A combination of sitting under Roethlisberger (a QB he probably could be compared to) as well as being coached/tough-loved by Tomlin could do him wonders. Or drum him out of the league.

Tampa ... not as sure of that being a fit there. Not sure Arians is the right coach for what Haskins needs. It could still work (they've got the pieces around there), but that would be a riskier play.

A dark horse option: New Orleans. Yes they have Taysom Hill, but he's also 32-33.

New Orleans also has Jameis.  I don't see it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woz said:

Pitt has two young QBs, Mason Rudolph & Josh Dobbs. I don’t think they’re in the babysitting mode for Haskins.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Pitt has two young QBs, Mason Rudolph & Josh Dobbs. I don’t think they’re in the babysitting mode for Haskins.

I don't think either of them has the ceiling that Haskins does.  The Saints and Jameis, yeah, I'd take that argument but I would still take Haskins on the Steelers and release Josh Dobbs.  

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Pittsburgh has young QBs on their roster who actually can run their offense, Rudolph & Dobbs.

Dobbs is a free agent in a month-plus time (as well as being inactive today). So I don't think he really qualifies much for the equation. Rudolph is only under contract for one more year.