Week 16: Panthers at Football Team

turtle28

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We also have more than one position/role to fill, and an extension to begin negotiating with McLaurin.  I would rather fill three roles for the cost of one top tier FA WR, which only fills one of those roles.  

Huh?  McLaurin is only two years into his rookie contract.  

If we are negotiating expensive extensions it is with Jon Allen, Brandon Scherff and Darby.  

IMO we need another legit WR and when a need like that coincides with the best free agent WR class in years, you go get one.  WRs are one of the most finicky positions to draft.  1st rounder can't miss ones crash and burn constantly.  Time to spend some money.  If we had done it last offseason we would have already secured a playoff spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

If we are negotiating expensive extensions it is with Jon Allen, Brandon Scherff and Darby.  

IMO we need another legit WR and when a need like that coincides with the best free agent WR class in years, you go get one.  WRs are one of the most finicky positions to draft.  1st rounder can't miss ones crash and burn constantly.  Time to spend some money.  If we had done it last offseason we would have already secured a playoff spot.

Yes, but he has four years total as a third rounder, and is going to cost a fortune.  You can't sign a WR to #1 money this off-season, and then turn around and offer top of the mountain money to McLaurin two years later, when we also have more contracts coming due.  

We don't need a #1 WR.  We have that.  What we need is a #1 TE, #2 possession WR and a slot receiver, and we can fill those for the cost that it would be to sign a #1 WR.  

40 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

What is the difference in draft pick (approximate) win/lose scenario week 17?

So, if Washington should fail-to-lose, they would likely end up picking 19th, maybe 25th with an upset ayoffplay fail-to-lose at home.

However, should they lose next week in Philadelphia, the numbers move around a lot depending on a series of games.

For the purposes of this analysis, I'm going to assume that Buffalo defeats New England tomorrow. If the Patriots should win, you can just exclude them from the calculations. Green Bay/Tennessee doesn't really matter (Philadelphia played Green Bay for their SOS game).

TEAMS WASHINGTON WILL BE DRAFTING AHEAD NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS NEXT WEEK

1. Jacksonville
  2. NY Jets
  3. Houston (pick belongs to Miami)
  4. Atlanta
  5. Cincinnati
  6. Philadelphia

BEST CASE SCENARIO:

• Detroit defeats Minnesota => both finish 6-10
  • NY Giants defeat Dallas => both finish 6-10 (NY Giants win the division)
    • Minnesota + Atlanta combined records > Detroit + Carolina combined records ... Dallas has a stronger SOS than Washington and thus picks behind WFT
  • Carolina defeats New Orleans => Carolina finishes 6-10
  • Denver defeats Las Vegas => Denver finishes 6-10
  • LA Chargers defeat Kansas City => LA Chargers finish 7-9
  • San Francisco defeats Seattle => San Francisco finishes 7-9
  • New England defeats NY Jets => New England finishes 7-9

RESULT: Washington's natural draft positions become 1.07, 2.12, 3.11, 4.10, 5.09, 6.08, 7.07

NOTE: Washington's 6th belongs to Las Vegas. It was exchanged for David Sharpe and a 7th. No, I'm not going to calculate what the value of Las Vegas' 7th. Nor am I going to calculate San Francisco's 3rd that is coming back to Washington for Trent Williams. Sufficed to say, both picks will be in the mid-to-high teens somewhere.

WORST CASE SCENARIO:

• Minnesota defeats Detroit => Detroit finishes 5-11, Minnesota 7-9
  • Dallas defeats NY Giants => NY Giants finish 5-11 (Dallas wins the division)
  • New Orleans defeats Carolina => Carolina finishes 5-11
  • Las Vegas defeats Denver => Denver finishes 5-11
  • Kansas City defeats LA Chargers => LA Chargers finish 6-10
  • Seattle defeats San Francisco => San Francisco finishes 6-10
  • NY Jets defeat New England => New England finishes 6-10

RESULT: Washington's natural draft positions become 1.11, 2.14, 3.13, 4.12, 5.11, 6.14, 7.13

NOTE: In this case, I will calculate San Francisco's pick since they would be in the group of four that ends up 6-10. The pick would be 3.11 (all mixed up, don't know what to do ...). Still not doing the Las Vegas 7th.

For the record, it's entirely possible I screwed up some math in there so don't hold this as gospel.

The short version is, should they lose next week, they could come out of it with the third best QB if things break their way. I assume Lawrence/Fields go 1-2 to Jacksonville and the Jets, and there's no action trade action with the Houston-to-Miami #3 pick or Cincy's at #5 and Atlanta and Philadelphia sit quietly. Personally, at 7, I would look to Sewell or Parsons. Yes, I realize that Chase and Smith are there but I kind of want a "safer" pick with the other two.

They could also go "horribly" wrong, and they would end up just outside the top 10. I assume at this point Pitts would be the consensus target, with maybe Leatherwood/Darrisaw being the fall back plan should the TE go off the board before they pick.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, offbyone said:

1. You really don't want to put yourself in a situation where you have a do-or-die contract renegotiation with McLaurin. Get him signed and happy early.
  2. Likewise with Allen. Make them happy.
  3. Scherff and Darby are going to be a bit more involved since they both will be hitting the open market if nothing is done. Ideally, the parameters of new deals for each of them has been worked out by now. Not the nitty gritty details but the ballpark numbers.
    1. If you are keeping them, you want the deals tied up a week before the Combine.
    2. This is to prevent their agents from talking to other teams and trying to punch up the price.
    3. It also allows the teams to focus on the Combine without having to worry about contract negotiations.

This might mean spending a bit more than you might like, but the little you save now will likely pay off bigger later.

1 minute ago, Woz said:
  1. You really don't want to put yourself in a situation where you have a do-or-die contract renegotiation with McLaurin. Get him signed and happy early.
  2. Likewise with Allen. Make them happy.
  3. Scherff and Darby are going to be a bit more involved since they both will be hitting the open market if nothing is done. Ideally, the parameters of new deals for each of them has been worked out by now. Not the nitty gritty details but the ballpark numbers.
    1. If you are keeping them, you want the deals tied up a week before the Combine.
    2. This is to prevent their agents from talking to other teams and trying to punch up the price.
    3. It also allows the teams to focus on the Combine without having to worry about contract negotiations.

This might mean spending a bit more than you might like, but the little you save now will likely pay off bigger later.

he's 2 years into the rookie deal, jesus!

• Like 1