Week 16: Panthers at Football Team

turtle28

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. But nice to see them go 10-5 after the last few years.

True.

Feel bad that there's going to be one ten or eleven win team in the AFC that's going to be picking 18th. Here's hoping it's Baltimore.

37 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You have to plan for it now and begin negotiating.  Over The Cap is projecting the cap to decrease this off-season by $22.2 million/11.2 due to Covid-19 impacts to league revenues.  With everything so uncertain around revenue for even next year, you can't assume that the cap will increase.  It may even decrease again or stay flat for 2022.  

And we used to sign multiple top tier players every year.  How did that work out for us?  The best bet is to develop and re-sign your own talent, and maybe make one major foray into free agency each year.  Maybe less with the cap going down now.  

I can't give you an example, because I don't believe NFL players can sign an extension until after their third season- although this could be first round picks only.  Again, my thinking here is that we need to prepare for it, and if we don't need.a #1 WR, let's fill multiple needs with that cash.  We have to upgrade QB, WR, TE, LT, LG, OLBx2, MLB and FS for sure.  Depending on re-signing players, that list could include C, RG, CB.  That's a lot of needs to worry about, and with the #2 and #3 positions needed to be filled on the WR depth chart, I'm not sure a #1 WR is a wise way to spend our money. 

We can also fill TE through the draft.  But again, that still requires money, and might also require other positions to be filled during free agency.  Sure, you can also sign a "#1 slot receiver" but again, with McLaurin, what is truly the need of that kind of talent?  Is it worth breaking the bank over right now?  

Exactly, you can't give me an example because no one does.  We really don't need to negotiate with him until 2022.  And sure they should prepare but putting a 15M/year allocation in the cap spreadsheet for him starting 2023.  But that is it.  This isn't worth putting much thought into at this point.  This isn't like signing a 40M/year qb.  

Hording cap space gets you nothing either.  We need to upgrade a lot of positions, but we won't be able to upgrade them all.  And with the ones we can, we will need to have a balanced attack between draft and Free agency.  WR is an option you can upgrade easily during free agency.  I don't understand the resistance to that.  If anything this is the year to spend money on a free agent WR because McLaurin will be cheap for 2 more years.  You don't wait until you  have to pay McLaurin and then double up at the position.

TE would be great, but there just aren't many out there so it is a tough market like last year when Hooper was the only game in town and so he went for a premium.  This is the year to upgrade WR.

20 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Gotta love how Miami is 10-5 and playoff bound and still gets a #3 pick as well as their #23 pick.

Well yeah, they were smart enough to take advantage of Obrien while we decided to instead draw a line in the sand and have a pissing match with a malcontent player.  

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Well yeah, they were smart enough to take advantage of Obrien while we decided to instead draw a line in the sand and have a pissing match with a malcontent player.  

Especially when you consider that #3 overall pick could have been Washington's.

Imagine getting a Sewell @ 3, Pitts @ 11, and QB/WR/IOL in the 2nd kind of draft.

8 minutes ago, offbyone said:

And with the ones we can, we will need to have a balanced attack between draft and Free agency.  WR is an option you can upgrade easily during free agency.  I don't understand the resistance to that.  If anything this is the year to spend money on a free agent WR because McLaurin will be cheap for 2 more years. 

Because free agency is so hit-or-miss. You are also setting the immediate bar that McLaurin is going to compare against.

If you treat McLaurin as cheap for two more years, you will almost assuredly get into high stakes negotiations. He's cheap for one more year, and then you pay him.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Especially when you consider that #3 overall pick could have been Washington's.

Imagine getting a Sewell @ 3, Pitts @ 11, and QB/WR/IOL in the 2nd kind of draft.

I didn't really think about that.  Painful to know.  Bruce Allen is still haunting us.

As E said, we don’t need a TE 1 anymore, Logan Thomas broke out once Alex took over and even played well last week when Dwayne was in there.

We can sign a TE like Jacob Hollister or an equivalent to be a blocker and better receiving option than Sprinkle and we should draft a TE in the mid to late rounds like we should’ve done last year but stupidly didn’t.

I get sick to my stomach watching  Harrison Bryant make plays every week but, I guess we couldn’t have predicted that Saahdiq Charles got hurt and if he hadn’t I think he would’ve been our answer at LG or LT this year.

I’m still not sure AGG deserved to get drafted over some of the other TEs either who went after Bryant and Albert O.

• Like 1