The Jacksonville Jaguars secure the #1 overall pick; Trevor Lawrence

pwny

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I personally refuse to believe any team, if they had 1st overall, would really draft someone not named Trevor.

They'd probably be more likely to take a trade with the Jets to drop to 2 and then take Wilson there.

10 minutes ago, pwny said:

I mean I fully believe this. There was a team that we know for a fact had Trubisky over both Mahomes and Watson, and the team was so scared that another team viewed Trubisky over them that they traded up to prevent someone else from jumping them.

tbf Trubisky was the consensus top QB in the class.....

• Like 1

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

Yeah, I mean I wasn't a Trubs fan but that draft Watson (for some reason, I know some worried about his velocity) and Mahomes weren't really hyped up. Neither were seen as elite QB prospects.

Lawrence gets lauded for his mental makeup and everyone that watched him says the last comparable prospect was 9 years ago. I just don't see it as the same.

Still, I guess it could happen. But whatever team(s) feel that was are dumb as I said above.

2 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

The only real argument for him was "he's the QB with the skillset closest to a prototypical look and playstyle; like that of guys like Brady and Matt Ryan". Now, the argument for Wilson is "he's the most unconventional with the size and playstyle of Mahomes and Josh Allen."

The same stupidity then was the same stupidity now. It's just focused on the NFL's latest trend instead of the trend of the 2016 season.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 1:59 PM, pwny said:

The only real argument for him was "he's the QB with the skillset closest to a prototypical look and playstyle; like that of guys like Brady and Matt Ryan". Now, the argument for Wilson is "he's the most unconventional with the size and playstyle of Mahomes and Josh Allen."

The same stupidity then was the same stupidity now. It's just focused on the NFL's latest trend instead of the trend of the 2016 season.

Yeah.  This is exactly what that sounds like.

It's chasing a "prototype" in form, according to what's trendy, rather than the best in "function".

There's really nothing even remotely resembling a guarantee that Wilson doesn't ultimately end up the better NFL quarterback than Lawrence.  But as prospects, you'd have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to really justify that as being the likelihood rather than simply a marginal possibility.

This isn't the Baker/Darnold/Allen/Rosen draft where you could at least conceivably justify any of the guys as the "top QB prospect" at the time.  Trevor Lawrence is a different caliber of prospect than any of those guys...far cleaner all around.  Wilson imo, is more in that tier with those guys as a prospect, where there's obvious and exciting upside (and there's enough unique ability there to suggest he could theoretically be the better QB in the end), but it's far from a blue chip, slam dunk sort of deal absent of any questionmarks or flags and caveats to him.

41 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

There's really nothing even remotely resembling a guarantee that Wilson doesn't ultimately end up the better NFL quarterback than Lawrence. 

Yeah, this is a point I’ve mentioned elsewhere. Like Andrew Luck was a better prospect than Russell Wilson, but Russ has had the better career. It’s possible that happens this time as well. But man, I’ll take the guy guaranteed to be top 12 in the league basically from day one and has top 5 all time potential over anyone else literally always, even if the alternative has the potential to reach a higher peak than the other guy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pwny said:

Yeah, this is a point I’ve mentioned elsewhere. Like Andrew Luck was a better prospect than Russell Wilson, but Russ has had the better career. It’s possible that happens this time as well. But man, I’ll take the guy guaranteed to be top 12 in the league basically from day one and has top 5 all time potential over anyone else literally always, even if the alternative has the potential to reach a higher peak than the other guy.

Exactly. That’s the perfect example to illustrate the situation, and the hypothetical. 

5 hours ago, pwny said:

Agreed, though I'll note that I do think Trevor also has the highest ceiling of any QB in the class soooo

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

Agreed, though I'll note that I do think Trevor also has the highest ceiling of any QB in the class soooo

Hard agree. But Luck’s ceiling was above Wilson’s too. Russ’s ceiling is basically the player he is, while Luck’s was a more mobile version of Peyton. The same could happen here, where Lawrence doesn’t meet his ceiling and other player meets their ceiling. And maybe there’s some people out there that think they can make Wilson reach his ceiling and that Lawrence’s ceiling is going to be harder to reach for whatever reason. 

Regardless, if you’re taking a QB, you take the sure thing with an astronomical ceiling and don’t play stupid games. Because you could just as easily end up with Ryan Leaf or RGIII instead of Russell Wilson or Dan Marino. 

• Like 1