The Jacksonville Jaguars secure the #1 overall pick; Trevor Lawrence

pwny

This narrative that TEs take forever to develop is getting annoying as far as it pertains to us. We said the same thing about WRs taking 3 years to produce. If you spend a high pick on a TE, you better have a role for him. Dont just make him your 4th option in the offense if he's actually good and more talented than your #2 and 3 WRs. 

So the idea is to never spend a mid to high pick on a TE because they take a while? So we'll just keep drafting lesser guys that we hope develop but likely wont because they aren't talented enough to get drafted early so stick to bringing in nothing but veterans?

Is the player talented enough to warrant the pick? Thats the question. How other TEs did in years prior in offenses that aren't ours shouldn't matter. Its the coaches job to develop the player and the players job to put in the work

We know we aren't SB contenders this year and I know we should put the best product on the field we can while we have Lawrence for cheap but this idea that we shouldn't bring in a TE at 25/33/45 because they talk so long to develop is just tired. We shouldn't draft any RBs either because they get hurt more than anyone too

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

This narrative that TEs take forever to develop is getting annoying as far as it pertains to us. We said the same thing about WRs taking 3 years to produce. If you spend a high pick on a TE, you better have a role for him. Dont just make him your 4th option in the offense if he's actually good and more talented than your #2 and 3 WRs. 

So the idea is to never spend a mid to high pick on a TE because they take a while? So we'll just keep drafting lesser guys that we hope develop but likely wont because they aren't talented enough to get drafted early so stick to bringing in nothing but veterans?

Is the player talented enough to warrant the pick? Thats the question. How other TEs did in years prior in offenses that aren't ours shouldn't matter. Its the coaches job to develop the player and the players job to put in the work

We know we aren't SB contenders this year and I know we should put the best product on the field we can while we have Lawrence for cheap but this idea that we shouldn't bring in a TE at 25/33/45 because they talk so long to develop is just tired. We shouldn't draft any RBs either because they get hurt more than anyone too

I want everybody to go back and view Urban’s usage rate of the TE position as well as Trevor.. Honestly I don’t remember either paying particular attention to the position outside of the years Urban had Hernandez and even then he wasn’t huge standout because of all the other talent on the field. Don’t waste a high pick if you’re not going to carve out a significant role in the offense for it. 

3 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I want everybody to go back and view Urban’s usage rate of the TE position as well as Trevor.. Honestly I don’t remember either paying particular attention to the position outside of the years Urban had Hernandez and even then he wasn’t huge standout because of all the other talent on the field. Don’t waste a high pick if you’re not going to carve out a significant role in the offense for it. 

If they select a TE at 25/33/45...I'd imagine they plan on using them a significant amount.

• Like 2

This team is young and will have a rookie QB next year. I'm not picking players based on making the biggest immediate impact. 

Having a TE as a safety blanket/guy who can go over the middle and be that big bodied receiver for Trevor in the redzone is important. We're seeing what having an good/elite level TE can do to defenses. Guys like Kelce, Gronk, Ertz, Waller, etc. Whether we find that early or late, I think that's a big priority.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If they select a TE at 25/33/45...I'd imagine they plan on using them a significant amount.

Urban is preaching that you adapt the scheme to the players, not the players to the scheme. So yeah, I’d surmise that if they took a TE early, they’d have a plan for using said TE. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Urban is preaching that you adapt the scheme to the players, not the players to the scheme. So yeah, I’d surmise that if they took a TE early, they’d have a plan for using said TE. 

"We're going to do a deep dive into this player, select him with a premium pick, but have zero idea in mind/plan to use his talents."

Not to say this franchise hasn't done this before, but I don't see why we'd assume this new regime would do that right off the bat.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I don't think that anyone is saying that. It DOES take a while to develop TEs on average. The TEs that come in year 1 and produce like a TE1 are unicorns. It's not to say that we shouldn't do it...we have all the time in the world. And if drafting a TE and grooming them is what it takes to eventually get a good TE, then that's what we need to do. But I do think that it would be wise to also bring on board a vet TE to bridge the incoming TE. The truth is that most teams utilize more than one TE. Draft a TE, and have them play a role, but let the vet do the heavy lifting until the rookie is ready. 

This year the Saints had Jared Cook, and drafted Adam Trautman. It's probably going to take Trautman a few years to completely get up to speed, so Cook did most of the heavy lifting this year (though he was inconsistent and sort of screwed the Saints in the playoffs). But I wouldn't say that Trautman's pick was a waste...he did contribute, and he did show promise. But I don't think that he would have been a guy I would have wanted as my TE1. I think that Adam Trautman is probably what we will be getting...and that's being optimistic...from a rookie TE. Unless we trade up to get Pitts, those are the types of expectations that we should have for our incoming TE. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

What Urban used in the college game in terms of TEs, and even what Clemson did with TEs for Trevor there...isn't really all that big of a concern to me.  In so much as, you're not going to be able to do exactly what those teams did in college, at the NFL level.  At least, not successfully.

I think the bolded there, is key when considering the shift from NCAA to the NFL.  It's one thing if you're a powerhouse recruiting college who can just run out wave after wave after wave of athletic superiority all over the place.  You're not going to have that same scenario in the NFL.  You're going to have to have specific, targeted pressure points where you'll need to exert your superiority and exploit matchups.  You'll need particular standouts to lean on.

And we've seen more and more lately, that TE is a key pressure point in today's NFL.  A credible threat there, is becoming almost critical to a dangerous offense.  It's an important matchup to be able to win on those money downs, and it's a linchpin for a lot of top offenses in what it opens up for the rest of the field and surrounding talent.

15 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This team is young and will have a rookie QB next year. I'm not picking players based on making the biggest immediate impact. 

Having a TE as a safety blanket/guy who can go over the middle and be that big bodied receiver for Trevor in the redzone is important. We're seeing what having an good/elite level TE can do to defenses. Guys like Kelce, Gronk, Ertz, Waller, etc. Whether we find that early or late, I think that's a big priority.

Exactly.  I don't know where we'll find that guy, but it's becoming more and more evident that it's a top priority in the way the NFL game is being played today.  It opens up so many dangerous things when you have that guy...and conversely, closes off a lot of opportunities, and places a ton of additional stress on other skill players when you don't at least have a "good" and credible player in that role, that commands respect and serious attention from defenses.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I'm fine with 45 but the average te takes time to develop and if we are trying to be a playoff team were better off signing a guy like smith or Everett if ur looking for athletic te's or maybe somehow u get gronk to come over

4 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I'm fine with 45 but the average te takes time to develop and if we are trying to be a playoff team were better off signing a guy like smith or Everett if ur looking for athletic te's or maybe somehow u get gronk to come over

I agree with addressing the situation through free agency. But also agree with drafting a TE in rounds 2 to 4 I think drafting Freiemuth, Jordan, Tremble, and Yeboah are all intriguing to me as developmental pieces going forward. You still don’t know what you have in Oliver. I much rather go to camp with Smith, Oliver, (plug in name above).. and have Possible a draft haul of Trevor, Horn, Moehrig, and above TE.. or Trevor, Best T, Toney, Best IDL or TE. I’m just against packing picks to move up for Pitts.. because I think if drafted right you could possibly get 4 potential immediate impact players if you play your cards correctly. To me that’s helping your team longevity wise. The draft is a crap shoot after the fifth pick the first 4 are critical.

28 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I guess it is that time of the year...

I mean I fully believe this. There was a team that we know for a fact had Trubisky over both Mahomes and Watson, and the team was so scared that another team viewed Trubisky over them that they traded up to prevent someone else from jumping them.

But it isn’t us. If we were considering anyone other than Trevor, they’d have fed that to Oehser to talk about how close all the QBs are as prospects and how it’s a tossup. But he’s not; he’s been posting like there’s no discussion to be had over the pick, and he’s only doing that because either he hasn’t been told by the team anything and knows that they’re not thinking about something dumb, or he’s been told that Trevor is the pick. A company shill doesn’t post that confidently about how stupid it would be to pick anyone other than Trevor if there was even a chance that Trevor wasn’t the guy.

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

I mean I fully believe this. There was a team that we know for a fact had Trubisky over both Mahomes and Watson, and the team was so scared that another team viewed Trubisky over them that they traded up to prevent someone else from jumping them.

But it isn’t us. If we were considering anyone other than Trevor, they’d have fed that to Oehser to talk about how close all the QBs are as prospects and how it’s a tossup. But he’s not; he’s been posting like there’s no discussion to be had over the pick, and he’s only doing that because either he hasn’t been told by the team anything and knows that they’re not thinking about something dumb, or he’s been told that Trevor is the pick. A company shill doesn’t post that confidently about how stupid it would be to pick anyone other than Trevor if there was even a chance that Trevor wasn’t the guy.

I personally refuse to believe any team, if they had 1st overall, would really draft someone not named Trevor.