The Jacksonville Jaguars secure the #1 overall pick; Trevor Lawrence

pwny

37 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I agree with you.  Gardner does have all of those things with the exception of leadership.  I think he would have that, but because he just doesn't have the physical tools, the guys around him know he's probably not going to get the job done like one of the league's elite QBs.

Other than that, he's competitive, tough, and one of his best traits is his ability to pull a rabbit out of his hat on plays that break down.  Again, because he doesn't have Trevor's physical skill set, he isn't going to be as successful at doing that, but Gardner has shown that he has the ability to scramble around until he can find an open receiver. 

In any case, even though I'm going to miss being able to watch Minshew play, it won't take very long for Trevor to fill the void that is left open by Gardner.

Yeah.  I'm certainly not sad about making the switch from Gardner to Lawrence.  I just think it's a kinda weird fluff definition of what makes a Quarterback "special".  One that, aside from that definition of leadership that just basically means, "exceptionally competent on the field"...includes players like Minshew, who seem to do everything on that list, except for being extremely good at being a quarterback on the field, due to physical limitations in his skillset.

Which means that it's really just saying the incisively purposeful..."good quarterbacks are good".

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Just announce it imo.

I very much selfishly would like them to just announce it and then have him pick a number so I can have his jersey before the draft even starts.

But he’s getting married in two and a half weeks and then probably honeymooning up until around the date of the draft. They really should just let him enjoy his time with his wife without the extra paparazzi chasing him and reporters hounding him for interviews for being the first early announced pick since 2006(?). 

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Just announce it imo.

Why?  They get no advantage by announcing now...why confirm it to the rest of the league?  I think we're just all nervous that the jags are going to go full jags mode and screw it somehow so we're just looking for some peace of mind. 

-charles 

43 minutes ago, Charles said:

Why?  They get no advantage by announcing now...why confirm it to the rest of the league?  I think we're just all nervous that the jags are going to go full jags mode and screw it somehow so we're just looking for some peace of mind. 

-charles 

Bengals started contract negotiations last year with Burrow during the pre draft process. It's not like they need to play the process out when it's a foregone conclusion. They have the first pick. You don't need to hide your interests/what you're doing with no one ahead of you.

Not sure there's an advantage, but there's also zero downside (unless it has to do with Trevor having a lot going on prior to the draft on a personal level and not wanting it to get out as pwny alluded to).

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Bengals started contract negotiations last year with Burrow during the pre draft process. It's not like they need to play the process out when it's a foregone conclusion. They have the first pick. You don't need to hide your interests/what you're doing with no one ahead of you.

Not sure there's an advantage, but there's also zero downside (unless it has to do with Trevor having a lot going on prior to the draft on a personal level and not wanting it to get out as pwny alluded to).

Bengals were talking to Burrow a full month before the draft?

-charlez

6 minutes ago, Charles said:

Bengals were talking to Burrow a full month before the draft?

-charlez

Yeah, Burrow definitely knew he was a Bengal/everyone knew it was done prior to the draft. I guess I don't know if it was a month ahead or not, but I'm not sure now versus a week or two prior to the draft makes much of a difference.

I mean, there's maybe a very small, marginal advantage when it comes to some things on that "marketing" side of things.  It lets you get a head start on tickets and merchandise sales, etc.  It lets you get a little bit of a jump on marketing "change" and "a new direction" in Jacksonville.

It's not really much.  But there's also really not much of a downside to announcing it early either.  Unless something tragic/catastrophic happens or comes out, or whatever implausible unforeseen sort of scenario unfolds.

The "easier" approach, is to just do what they're doing...and let it ride.  Everyone paying attention already knows what's up anyway.

• Like 1