2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

18 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Did i just read Perriman sign with the lions. That leaves another WR short

Looks like Keelan Cole will replace him. Cole did not have a bad year with Jags last year considering their QB mess last year. He had 55 receptions for 642 yards  & 5 TD's

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

What means we will need a WR in the draft probably the third round

With how the receiver market played out this year, I think we can say that teams feel good about this WR draft class because there are honestly around 15-20 guys that I can see making an early impact in the league. Either WR's will go early and often and push talent down the board at other positions, or you'll be able to get great value late. Either way it's a win for us.

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Jets aren't among of 4 or 5 teams that express the interest in Jackson.   I guess media learns the lesson that there will be no connection between fa and Jets. 😄

You might be onto something, Jackson is more of a man corner and we are going to be running a zone scheme. Same idea is gonna apply for Steven Nelson too. Would love to see us pursue Kyle Fuller but I think he's a lock for Denver. I think we'll wind up circling back to Brian Poole or K'Wuan Williams, not sure who's the better player but Williams already knows the scheme. 

3 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

You might be onto something, Jackson is more of a man corner and we are going to be running a zone scheme. Same idea is gonna apply for Steven Nelson too. Would love to see us pursue Kyle Fuller but I think he's a lock for Denver. I think we'll wind up circling back to Brian Poole or K'Wuan Williams, not sure who's the better player but Williams already knows the scheme. 

and price, of course.😆

6 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Why can’t a man CB play zone?

“I had a conversation about this, literally a few hours before the show. And they basically told me this, Joe Douglas does not want to spend big money, and that is the way it is. He’s from the Baltimore Ravens system, with Ozzie Newsome, where you build through the draft. That’s Joe Douglas’ M.O., that is the way he believes in doing things. I agree, I thought they should have signed Hendrickson, they signed Carl Lawson. OK, that’s a solid swap. I would have preferred Hendrickson. They took Corey Davis, because he is a system fit. He is a better system fit than Kenny Golladay. But it comes down to, from what I have been told, Douglas just does not want to spend the big bucks.”

From PFN.

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Some can, some can't.   Darrelle Revis flopped at Tampa when he played zone.

A foolish move by Tampa. I just think labeling a CB as one or the other is maybe wrong. CB’s are often asked to do both in a single game. Yes there is a learning curve if you come from a system that only schemes one way or the other, but in general, many CB’s do both. Es verdad? 

Edited by xrade

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

Why can’t a man CB play zone?

Just different styles. 

In pure man you're defending your man with no other responsibility. 

In pure zone you're usually just defending grass and whoever comes across your face

In match you have to read patterns, are you carrying a guy up the field, if he breaks short and works over the middle you pass him off and turn your hips and find work. If you're late that can lead to coverage breakdowns, etc...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Just different styles. 

In pure man you're defending your man with no other responsibility. 

In pure zone you're usually just defending grass and whoever comes across your face

In match you have to read patterns, are you carrying a guy up the field, if he breaks short and works over the middle you pass him off and turn your hips and find work. If you're late that can lead to coverage breakdowns, etc...

Ok. I can see that. Now the question is, would it be easier to have a man CB learn zone or vice versa?  I only ask because I would not want to discount a draft prospect that has skills but will need to learn. As they all do. But I am talking about having the prospect sit for a year to learn. In other words, I can understand not drafting one high but round 3 or later should be OK. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

A foolish move by Tampa. I just think labeling a CB as one or the other is maybe wrong. CB’s are often asked to do both in a single game. Yes there is a learning curve if you come from a system that only schemes one way or the other, but in general, many CB’s do both. Es verdad? 

As far as learning curve,  it is good idea to steer away from veteran.  Money and performance.

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think they ran man primarily in Tampa Bay under Schiano then they hired Lovie Smith who brought in the Tampa 2 and they cut Revis. 

https://www.bucsnation.com/2013/9/24/4767150/darrelle-revis-zone-coverage-watch-the-buccaneers-have-lost-their

Give or take.   More like a bad ratio of zone to man.