2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

13 minutes ago, xenajets said:

For those who were saying we shouldn't be overpaying in free agency I’m curious to know what you think of the deals for Davis and Lawson compared to around the league. Both seem a tad high. 

More of a result of our advantageous cap position compared to other teams in this post-COVID cap reduction. Not mad about it, we signed very complete players that I would think had competition for their services. When I say complete I mean that they check all boxes on and off the field... size, speed, athleticism, production, character, youth, etc. Hard to get mad about a slightly inflated deal in this years market when in any other year that would be considered market value. The best thing about this is that we're going to be solid next year too. JD played his cards right IMO, still have some holes to fill though.

19 minutes ago, xenajets said:

For those who were saying we shouldn't be overpaying in free agency I’m curious to know what you think of the deals for Davis and Lawson compared to around the league. Both seem a tad high. 

Davis’ deal seems about right for a 3 year deal. Aside from Golladay, he was the best receiver on the market. 

Lawson is about right as well.

The only receiver I think got overpaid was Agholor.

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

More of a result of our advantageous cap position compared to other teams in this post-COVID cap reduction. Not mad about it, we signed very complete players that I would think had competition for their services. When I say complete I mean that they check all boxes on and off the field... size, speed, athleticism, production, character, youth, etc. Hard to get mad about a slightly inflated deal in this years market when in any other year that would be considered market value. The best thing about this is that we're going to be solid next year too. JD played his cards right IMO, still have some holes to fill though.

Yeah, right now we have too many holes to fill solely via the draft. We need to get one offensive guard (at least), two cornerbacks (1 outside, 1 slot), one linebacker, a backup quarterback, a veteran running back and a kicker via free agency.

Then we can focus on the O-line and the quarterback of the future in the draft.

9 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Steven Nelson available! That would be my target. Either a late round pick sent to Steelers it wait for him to be released.

Interesting.... Across the NFL, the usage ratio for Zone crushes Man,  if expensive CB happens to have strength in man, cut him off.     Gilmore,Jackson and Nelson are better at man.    Kyle Fuller is split but probably better at zone.

Strongly obvious that Jets will use zone vastly, that may mean Jets may only pay a small $$ to Jackson or Nelson when available.  Fuller may get more money from Jets.

43 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Lol we never made an offer

Gotta wonder how it's our name that gets out there instead of these other teams, both the Ravens and Chiefs are more immediate threats to the Steelers and you would think would light a fire under PIT more than us. I think it speaks to the level of respect that certain agents and teams have with each other that we do not and have not commanded for a while, use the Jets as your media bait and keep discussions with the true contenders under wraps (Juju is with ROC Nation btw, we do not have any of their clients on our roster). 

This is why culture is so important and having a reputation the precedes you and your organization matters. Saleh better use this as bulletin board material. 

Edited by jetjuice
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Interesting.... Across the NFL, the usage ratio for Zone crushes Man,  if expensive CB happens to have strength in man, cut him off.     Gilmore,Jackson and Nelson are better at man.    Kyle Fuller is split but probably better at zone.

Strongly obvious that Jets will use zone vastly, that may mean Jets may only pay a small $$ to Jackson or Nelson when available.  Fuller may get more money from Jets.

Purely speculation on my part about Fuller. I just see his market being pretty active and Douglas clearly does not like to enter bidding wars.

I can see Jackson taking a one year prove it deal at about 5-7 mill which we know Douglas loves to do. If he ends of not being a fine it's not big loss, but he's talented enough to take a chance on fitting him into the scheme. 

Same thing with Nelson, reading for him would be a 1 year deal at 8 mil

Edited by Sandwhich2
Typo

Just now, Sandwhich2 said:

Purely speculation on my part about Fuller. I just see his market being pretty active and Douglas clearly does not like to enter bidding wars.

I can see Jackson taking a one year prove it deal at about 5-7 mill which we know Douglas loves to do. If he ends of not being a fine it's not big loss, but he's talented enough to take a chance on fitting him into the scheme. 

I can see Jackson taking a one year prove it deal at about 5-7 mill which we know Davis loves to do. If he ends of not being a fine it's not big loss, but he's talented enough to take a chance on fitting him into the scheme. 

Yeah... JD has been avoiding bidding war really well.

I can see Jackson taking a one year prove it deal at about 5-7 mill which we know Davis loves to do. If he ends of not being a fine it's not big loss, but he's talented enough to take a chance on fitting him into the scheme. 

Fuller to DEN is how the dots seem to be connecting. He had his best years under Vic Fangio and they have a gaping hole at CB just as much as we do.

I'd circle back around to Brian Poole at this point, he was one of the few guys that wasn't a problem for us last year.

21 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I actually think both are very reasonable and on par with what we're seeing around the league. 

Lawson's deal makes him the 17th highest paid edge rusher. Davis' contract is a bit misleading because it's front-loaded. The APY is about $12M. He's the 19th highest paid receiver, slightly ahead of Nelson Agholor.

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

Fuller to DEN is how the dots seem to be connecting. He had his best years under Vic Fangio and they have a gaping hole at CB just as much as we do.

I'd circle back around to Brian Poole at this point, he was one of the few guys that wasn't a problem for us last year.

I think Poole might be their backup plan to K'waun Williams. But we still need an outside guy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Gotta wonder how it's our name that gets out there instead of these other teams, both the Ravens and Chiefs are more immediate threats to the Steelers and you would think would light a fire under PIT more than us. I think it speaks to the level of respect that certain agents and teams have with each other that we do not and have not commanded for a while, use the Jets as your media bait and keep discussions with the true contenders under wraps (Juju is with ROC Nation btw, we do not have any of their clients on our roster). 

This is why culture is so important and having a reputation the precedes you and your organization matters. Saleh better use this as bulletin board material. 

We have money those other teams didn't. Say they baited Pittsburgh into thinking we offered 13M for 1 year, maybe they up their offer from 8 to 10.5M, thats a win for JuJu.