2021 Patriots Draft

m haynes

I agree that you have a lot of options in Free Agency... you could make a big impact on the receiving game and TE through free agency. I love Waddle but I'd be happy with Curtis Samuel & Hunter Henry (<- I feel like he is going to happen no matter what with how much BB fawns over him). You'd see a major difference next season with those two, hopefully they would still grab another WR mid round but I could deal with another year of no receiver in the draft with that free agent haul. 

Regarding the draft though.. I don't think you're going to get much value first two rounds out of the front 7. Not many options out there from what I can see.. Secondary seems to be the best value in the first two rounds. If BB really wanted to go all defense early, you could see a corner first round to replace Gilmore and a safety second round to replace McCourty. LB and DL depth looks pretty meh first two rounds. 

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I agree that you have a lot of options in Free Agency... you could make a big impact on the receiving game and TE through free agency. I love Waddle but I'd be happy with Curtis Samuel & Hunter Henry (<- I feel like he is going to happen no matter what with how much BB fawns over him). You'd see a major difference next season with those two, hopefully they would still grab another WR mid round but I could deal with another year of no receiver in the draft with that free agent haul. 

Regarding the draft though.. I don't think you're going to get much value first two rounds out of the front 7. Not many options out there from what I can see.. Secondary seems to be the best value in the first two rounds. If BB really wanted to go all defense early, you could see a corner first round to replace Gilmore and a safety second round to replace McCourty. LB and DL depth looks pretty meh first two rounds. 

I agree, There are very slim picking for the front 7 except for Edge rushers which is the one position that we have about 100 players!  There are good DT however I don't see a fit.  We need run stoppers.  There are DTs players such as Daviyon Nixon DL Iowa and Jay Tufele DL USC who I see more as pass rushers.

I like Carlos Basham Wake Forest but I'm not sure he's worth Pats 2nd RD pick. What I see in Basham, BB moving him all over the line in different situations.

IMO the 2nd RD (Pats pick) loaded with CB, S, WR.

ADDED   If we take Andre Cisco I'll be a happy camper. 

Edited by m haynes

I want Jaylen Waddle with our first pick he's my favorite receiver in this class behind obviously JaMarr Chase

Also as I've been saying I would like to go all out defense in the draft besides the first pick Jaylen Waddle just has that speed we need and he'll likely be on the board when we pick to! Waddle is about the same speed as Ruggs you gotta take that guy Bill! 

I would love a receiving core of Curtis Samuel, Jaylen Waddle, and Jakobi Meyers. Just need to get a tight end in free agency at this point get anyone who can catch the ball I think our tight ends have like 500 yards combined in the last two seasons... Gronk in his last two season combined having been a shell of himself still has 1300 yards and 10 touchdowns, from a tight end that's great production and I remember people thinking we won the Gronk trade LOLOLOLOL! Only like Kelce, Kittle, and Waller have more yards receiving than Gronk in there past 2 seasons. We really should have traded for Cameron Brate and Gronk straight up. They barely even use him up in Tampa he's the tight end 3 and there leading receiver in the playoffs right now. 

Edited by JohnCena

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

IMO the 2nd RD (Pats pick) loaded with CB, S, WR.

I agree, which is why I could totally see BB doing the trade with the Jags you mentioned previously .. 15 for 2 second rounders. While I think the team really needs elite talent, if the QBs are gone and Waddle/Surtain are gone.. Im ok with that trade tbo. In the second round you could easily go WR / CB / S  and solidify the team with quality players who can contribute asap. With Chung/ McCourty coming back they may hold off on safety given how much depth they have though... or try to get a 4th round developmental guy who redshirts this year and contributes next season when Chung/McCourty retire.

I've got a strange feeling that if they don't draft a QB in the 1st.. they could end up waiting till that 3rd round comp pick and grabbing a developmental guy and rolling the dice on a young fixer-upper QB in hopes of some Ryan Tannehill level of luck. Some Pats fans I've spoken to seem to believe BB could turn Mitch Trubisky into Josh Allen, but i'm not quite convinced BB is THAT cocky to think he can do that (I would still take him over Cam though). 

• Like 1

The second round feels like where this draft will be won for many teams.. a bunch of really good players could be available the beginning to middle of the 2nd round, who can make an impact day 1. 

Assuming BB doesn't like who is available at 15 .. could easily see him trading back with teams like Chicago / Indy / Pittsburgh / Saint who fall in love with a QB ( Mac Jones / Trey Lance /etc) who is available netting the Pats with a late 1st and an extra 2nd round pick. Fans here will go crazy trading away a QB and forever follow what might have been .. but if BB isn't in love I can see him fleecing a team for extra picks if they really want a QB. 

For instance.. desperate Bears trade 20 / 52 for 15 / Pats 3rd round comp  ... BB could even trade that #20 further back and get a 3rd 2nd rounder along with a 3rd round pick.. who knows.. but the point is this 2nd round is going to be STACKED with talent imo.. 

11 hours ago, JohnCena said:

go all out defense in the draft besides the first pick Jaylen Waddle

I believe the opposite in this draft unless your looking for safeties and corners. @Crimm mentioned earlier which I agree this draft is not strong in the front 7 area. There a ton of pass rushers however we need run stoppers. Win and Ochie deal with the pass.

I love Waddle however I would pass if he's there. My reason without a QB he's a waste of talent. I have no clue what BB doing at the QB position. Last year gives you a glimpse of the importance he puts on the position. Maybe he had a wake up call this year, I hope so. Cam Newton GMAFB!

Now if I was running the draft I would go this way.  QB at 15 if one there. Than I would go (QBs gone)  Patrick Surtain II or Rashawn Slater.   Now if they are gone, I go with Waddle. IMO LT and CB, I see these position as more of the tree, WR as a ornament. We need more trees!

I look at the 2nd RD for WR. There will be a lot of good ones. Moore (doubt it), Terrace Marshall Jr.Kadarius Toney, Elijah Moore, and (I hate) Rashod Bateman.

PS  Slater is a monster, watch tape my goodness, some are saying he might go OL, 1st. Major Talent at the 2nd most important postion on the field. Too much talent to pass on.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2021/01/18/2021-nfl-draft-rashawn-slater-ot1/3/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knb3z6N6ur4

need to get a tight end in free agency at this point get anyone who can catch the ball

Low/ middle level yes however I would not back up the brinks truck. I know BB love Henry but if he gives him big money I'll be pissed. IMO it shows that its all about BB 1st. Henry history is injuries he's getting older more injuries!!

we won the Gronk trade LOLOLOLOL!

We won hands down.  We got a 4th RD for nothing. Gronk was retired and he was only coming back to play with Brady. There was zero chance he would ever play with the Pats again.

1 hour ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

So many QBs and WRs going in the top10 there'll be great value sitting for us at #15. Also considering the dropouts and no combine lets hope our front office can hit gold on more late round picks. I'm confident this gonna be great for us outside of QB.

Hit right on the head. Its amazing to think the talent that might drop right into are laps. It might not be the position we desperately need but the value far out way the hesitation.

Just think Pat Surtain, Rashawn Slater, Pitts, Christian Darrisaw, Jaycee Horn etc. sitting there at 15. WOW!👀😁

1 hour ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Then I have a question for you guys, if BigMac Jones is available at #15 and a team offers a lot for our pick, would you take Jones or trade down?

100% I would, I'm not sold on Jones personally. This team has so many holes that getting more 1st / 2nd round picks should be priority over a gamble like Jones

• Like 2

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I love Waddle however I would pass if he's there. My reason without a QB he's a waste of talent. I have no clue what BB doing at the QB position. Last year gives you a glimpse of the importance he puts on the position. Maybe he had a wake up call this year, I hope so. Cam Newton GMAFB!

Now if I was running the draft I would go this way.  QB at 15 if one there. Than I would go (QBs gone)  Patrick Surtain II or Rashawn Slater.   Now if they are gone, I go with Waddle. IMO LT and CB, I see these position as more of the tree, WR as a ornament. We need more trees!

I look at the 2nd RD for WR. There will be a lot of good ones. Moore (doubt it), Terrace Marshall Jr.Kadarius Toney, Elijah Moore, and (I hate) Rashod Bateman.

LT will depend entirely on what the team thinks of Wynn / Herron .. if they like both of them and believe Wynn will stay healthy ( I dont think he had injuries in college), why bother spending a high pick on another LT when Wynn can do the job well? If you take someone like Slater, what could you get for Wynn in a trade? .. that's really how I would be thinking at that point. LT is the only OL position BB really takes in the 1st round so it is possible if the value is too good to pass up. 

I do believe Waddle could still be amazing even without a QB on this team. You could use him all over the field and his YAC would be amazing. You could dink and dunk to him all day and he would find ways to make plays. Especially if you sign another fast guy like Samuel in Free Agency, they would be giving teams fits. 

I stopped looking at most TE's because it seemed Henry was almost a certainty at something like 4 years, 40 million .. but a player like David Njoku would be smart to pickup. I believe the Browns have cap problems and they just signed Hooper for big money so he has wanted out. He may be cut or available for cheap and he would step in day 1 as the best TE on the team ( he had 600 yards receiving a couple years ago and is only 24).  

Surtain I think will be gone before the Patriots pick.. I have a funny feeling we could see them go after Asante Samuel Jr which would be funny given how much his dad has hated on the organization over the years. 

Especially if BB trades back and gets an early 2nd rounder you've got awesome talent there. I agree on all of those WR pretty much.. I think Bateman is slow but anyone who is a burner they need to go after. They need someone they can send deep who has better hands than Byrd. I think Toney will be there for their 2nd rounder.. he is a former QB like Meyers which they may like. It's tough to evaluate because we could see a big run on WR to start the second round with most of those early teams having taken a QB in the first. 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

LT will depend entirely on what the team thinks of Wynn / Herron .. if they like both of them and believe Wynn will stay healthy ( I dont think he had injuries in college), why bother spending a high pick on another LT when Wynn can do the job well? If you take someone like Slater, what could you get for Wynn in a trade? .. that's really how I would be thinking at that point. LT is the only OL position BB really takes in the 1st round so it is possible if the value is too good to pass up. 

I understand your thinking.  I look at like this. Slater could be a generalanal player that so skilled you can't pass him up.  I like our line but with Slater its could bring us to the next level. Just think, Slater and Wynn side by side and Wenu RT. Herron back up all postions. Just look at the flexability. IMO his skills are off the charts.

I do believe Waddle could still be amazing even without a QB on this team.

I agree however its a position and value thing with me. Like I mentioned I see WR as Ornaments. I also see the talent level not a big deal as long as you get a good one. EX Debo Samuals.  If Waddle is there and the other I mentioned are gone,  I would trade down and draft R Moore. IMO same impact and you get additional picks.

Henry was almost a certainty at something like 4 years, 40 million .. but a player like David Njoku

I will be pissed if he waste the money on Henry. Just think if Aussie can play next year. What a friggin waste of money. I do like the Idea of a lower value Njoku ,if the price is right.

Surtain I think will be gone before the Patriots pick.. I have a funny feeling we could see them go after Asante Samuel Jr which would be funny given how much his dad has hated on the organization over the years. 

Again going back to my comment with Waddle, trade down more options. Lets say Jacksonville. Now your looking at WR and a CB with the (trade value) 15 pick. Ex Samuel and Moore/Marshall. Moore you might have to trade back in the 1st.

I would " happy happy" with the two players.

ADDED It like getting a great car (WR), I don't need to add 20's. It's still a great, without the added wheels

Edited by m haynes

Daviyon Nixon DL Iowa #54.

Watching tape on Cauncey Golston from Iowa. I do this with my focus on a (Nixon) player that the Pats might draft. IMO Nixon is not worth taking at pick 46 for the Pats.  I don't see how he would fit, especially against the running game.

I'm also not impressed with his overall game. What I see on video, if his  initial move is unsuccessful, he stops and stands up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2T3xGJn1TM

His highlight videos are impressive! 😁