Jump to content

The Florida Gators thread


Scalamania
 Share

Recommended Posts

What a miserable game. Richardson was so bad. And Napier's play calling and personnel decisions were no better. There's no reason why Nayquan Wright should see snaps over Etienne and Montrell. There's no reason why Ricky Pearsall should be riding the bench on like half of our offensive snaps, including key third downs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

What a miserable game. Richardson was so bad. And Napier's play calling and personnel decisions were no better. There's no reason why Nayquan Wright should see snaps over Etienne and Montrell. There's no reason why Ricky Pearsall should be riding the bench on like half of our offensive snaps, including key third downs. 

2nd half, yeah the calling was hot garbage. But in the 1st half I thought the play calling was fine. Players were open but either AR didn't read it, threw a pass 100 mph over the WR's head or the ball was dropped. But yeah, Etienne and Johnson are leaps and bounds better than Wright. That 3-man rotation needs to drop to a 2-man starting Monday. The WR room is just *** all around. Nobody can get separation 1v1 except Pearsall but, as you said, he's only out there like 60% of the time. 

Even with all that, I put this loss *far* more on AR than I do Napier. Terrible performance aside, it looked he had less than zero interest in even being there. His body language was horrible. 

Edited by eggybucsfan31
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

2nd half, yeah the calling was hot garbage. But in the 1st half I thought the play calling was fine. Players were open but either AR didn't read it, threw a pass 100 mph over the WR's head or the ball was dropped. But yeah, Etienne and Johnson are leaps and bounds better than Wright. That 3-man rotation needs to drop to a 2-man starting Monday. The WR room is just *** all around. Nobody can get separation 1v1 except Pearsall but, as you said, he's only out there like 60% of the time. 

Even with all that, I put this loss *far* more on AR than I do Napier. Terrible performance aside, it looked he had less than zero interest in even being there. His body language was horrible. 

His confidence seemed shot, but Napier is the one who insisted on being the play caller. We could have won the game even with Richardson's issue if he had made adjustments. Instead, we came out after half doing the same old wrong things. That cost us the game. Etienne and Johnson were finding running room. If we had actually involved Richardson in the running game too, I think we could have churned out some points in the second half and eaten up clock. Instead, we kept trotting Wright out and treating Richardson like a pocket QB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Losing sucks, but if this is the Anthony Richardson we get moving forward, we'll be okay. Defensively, Trey Dean and 
Amari Burney need to ride the pine. I'm tired of them blowing coverages and not filling the right gaps. The true freshman understand the defense better than these seniors do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the offense shows up, the defense implodes. When the defense plays (relatively) well, the offense is huffing glue. We just cannot get a complete team performance and haven't been able to for years now, it's beyond frustrating. 

Ditto on Dean and Burney, throw Torrence and Johnson in there as well. The four of them were horrendous today and have been their entire careers. Hopefully now that we've got an idea how things are looking this season (aka it's over), we can stop having to keep these terrible upperclassmen in there and win/lose with the freshmen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

When the offense shows up, the defense implodes. When the defense plays (relatively) well, the offense is huffing glue. We just cannot get a complete team performance and haven't been able to for years now, it's beyond frustrating. 

Ditto on Dean and Burney, throw Torrence and Johnson in there as well. The four of them were horrendous today and have been their entire careers. Hopefully now that we've got an idea how things are looking this season (aka it's over), we can stop having to keep these terrible upperclassmen in there and win/lose with the freshmen. 

I expect Ventrell sits next week. But when we play Mizzou, it needs to be Ventrell and Shemar at ILB with Kamari Wilson at S. Dean and Burney need to ride the pine. We're likely stuck with Torrence, but at least he's not blowing coverages left and right. He just kind of contributes nothing. We need to replace Tre'vez. I have to believe one of Kimber or Marshall can play the slot. If not, maybe Devin Moore or Jaydon Hill can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At least we’re not Miami getting blown out by a MTSU team that lost 44-7 to James Madison. I tried to warn them about how poor a game day coach Cristobal was… those two showings by Oregon against Utah last season should have been a red flag to any Miami fan with a brain. Oh well, he’s their problem now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I see a lot of people calling for Toney's head, which I get to a degree ... but I put this *way* more on the complete lack of talent before any schematic issue. He calls a blitz, they whiff on the sack. He calls man coverage, the CB gets beat 1v1, he calls zone, there's a bust and a WR is wide open etc. etc. The DL gets zero push, we've got one LB who steps up and makes tackles and all the veterans in the secondary are G5/lower P5 level players bar maybe Marshall.

If you needed anymore evidence as to why Mullen got fired, that game tells you why. The best players on the field we've got are two transfers from ULL and a true freshman RB. He left nothing in the cupboard and as far as I'm concerned, he left a worse legacy than Zook, Muschamp and McElwain. At least those three left the next coach stuff to work with, Mullen left behind **** all besides a bunch of mid players who act like they're Bama-level good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...